Tropical Storm Fay

Questions about the forum, comments, suggestions... and pretty much anything else, including other pets and interests.
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Tropical Storm Fay

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:42 pm

It's windy and light rain here now. I'm about 30 to 45 min from the beaches; so we get less. Lots of small limbs and moss littering the yard, but otherwise OK. Power is on and that's good. I even went out for breakfast to IHOP. All my animal sleep through storms so they are no warning. LOL They sleep through everything! I don't know what happened to their innate instinct about weather. Happy (dog) is the only one who responds and that's only to thunder and then she wants in your lap. LOL Otherwise, she sleeps. Chuck & Mishi are snoring away.

!00% Tropical Storm winds in the area right now. Winds over 40 mph. Storm Surges over all costal areas except lower tip of the State. Looks like it's headed for Mississippi overland as a Tropical Depression.

One tree fell last night in my wetlands and I thought I heard another a little while ago, but couldn't see it. All trees are swaying back & forth to the bases. We've had so much rain this summer, the ground is soaked and trees prone to "blowover". I hope I don't lose any that hit the house.

I remember when I was in Ohio, we'd get rain all the way up there from storms down here. Hope every one here in Florida and in Fay's path are doing well.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Cathy
Flying Furball

Re: Tropical Storm Fay

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Fay sloshed through our area on Monday/Tuesday. I know from the horses' water troughs outside that we got at least 10 inches of rain. It rained pretty much for 26 hours straight, but wasn't terribly windy. Then the rain stopped and the winds picked up late Tuesday. It has been blustery and kind of rainy ever since.

We didn't have any damage at our house, just some tree limbs and palm fronds everywhere. However, an equine vet clinic in Wellington was hit by a tornado on Monday am. No horses were injured but the damage is tremendous. 3 large barns were damaged.

Apparently there was a small 3 stall semi-permanent barn beside the clinic building. A flash of lightning lit the sky just in time for one of the night staff to see the small barn get lifted up and tossed aside. There was one horse inside the barn - and she was left completely unharmed right where her stall used to be!

Suzie and Oakley didn't care about the storm. The dogs only cared because I kept waking up Monday night and disturbing them!

Cathy
West of West Palm Beach

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Cathy, glad you missed that! Winds are still pretty strong here and I keep hearing things hit the ground with a big thud! I hope I don't lose any more trees. I'll have to wait until daylight to see what has really happened. So far, no tornados.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Stay safe, Joan, and all the rest of you down there in the 'path'. Don't forget to go out and check for now homeless squirrels when the weather gets better.

Love ya all,

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:16 am

I have been thinking of everyone in the storms path and praying all is well.

Stay safe.

Mary

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:31 am

i don't want any really bad weather but, we sure could use some of that rain....they say we in alabama are going to get it
by tomorrow.....everybody stay safe out there!!
paula

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am

It seems to have moved on here, but lots of wind & rain still and flood warnings. It's headed to the panhandle and into ALA as a Tropical Depression so you'll get your rain. :wink:
Looks like I only lost one tree that I can find. If more fell in the wetlands, I don't care as there will be no cleanup. LOTS and LOTS of small branches & moss down. I'll be raking into winter. LOL

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:12 pm

yea joan we got our rain lol but alot of wind also. our power was out from saturday around 5:00pm until around 9:00am sunday and it is out again now at home. we have had some really bad storms today and lots of rain again. my husband said they have the road blocked up from our house so i'm assuming that another tree is down on the lines. glad ya'll are safe [-o<
paula

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:26 pm

lucy10177 wrote:... our power was out from saturday around 5:00pm until around 9:00am sunday and it is out again now at home.

Sorry to hear that. get a generator and it'll stay on. :twisted: That's what I did. :wink:

we have had some really bad storms today and lots of rain again.

Hope you got what ya'll needed. GA needed rain too. You know, there's another one brewing now. :roll:

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:30 pm

Joan wrote:
lucy10177 wrote:... our power was out from saturday around 5:00pm until around 9:00am sunday and it is out again now at home.

Sorry to hear that. get a generator and it'll stay on. :twisted: That's what I did. :wink:

we have had some really bad storms today and lots of rain again.

Hope you got what ya'll needed. GA needed rain too. You know, there's another one brewing now. :roll:

yea i think we got enough for now....and yes i work for a kidney dialysis center and we are gearing up for this one.....on our conference call this morning we were told that any evacuees would be sent to us from mobile...hope it does not come to that but, we will be ready and willing if it does.....we went through this with ivan.....everybody keep your eyes out and stay safe on yet another round. oh and yes we do have a generator.....learned that from ivan when the power was out for over a week.
paula

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I finally got my yard picked up, but yard waste trucks haven't made it to my area yet. I got a good bit of the tree down and my next door neighbor will take the rest down and toss the logs in the wetlands. A lot of small immature acorns are down and I hope we still have a fall crop. I've been reduced to raiding my neighbors' yard waste piles when I see a limb with attached acorns. Got two big branches today. Stuffed one in the cage and secured with a bunji cord. Door won't close, but I imagine Chuck and Mishi will have an exciting night making a mess.

immatater
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby immatater » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:00 pm

We're about to be whomped by gustav, they think. Here's hoping that the trees stay put and the little squirrels in them!

Return to “All the rest”