New cage!

justlikeapill
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

New cage!

Postby justlikeapill » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:43 pm

Here is our new cage. We had a steel company weld 1/2 inch pre-form metal grid on it. It's pretty good! This is my dad for size reference.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:37 pm

Cool Clint! Can't wait to see it decorated.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:23 pm

That is a beautiful cage. I know the girls are going to love it. I got so upset when Tom built our late Mr. Whiskers his very large cage. He went in and would not come out for the longest. We would have to close the door so he wouldn't get back in. Hope the girls aren't like our Mr. Whiskers and won't come out.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Either your dad's short or the cage is very tall. Either way, keep that cage under lock and key, I'll be around sunday to steal it. :evilbat:

Just joking. :twisted: :o
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:10 am

Guardian wrote:Either your dad's short or the cage is very tall. Either way, keep that cage under lock and key, I'll be around sunday to steal it. :evilbat:

Just joking. :twisted: :o

AHAHAHA

Neways WOW that is a gorgeous cage! you need to direct me to where you got it. I absolutely love it the design is beautiful!
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:44 am

It looks like the guy who did the wire work did a great job. The cage is beautiful. I have seen so many big parrot cages that are so beautiful, but they have the wide spaced bars. I never thought of having it covered by a proffesional welder-blacksmith-metal worker-kinda guy. I only pictured the cruddy mess I would make of it if I did it myself :roll: Now I'm sure I'll look at those cool old wrought iron parrot cages in a whole new light!
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:48 am

That is a beautiful cage. I just love it and I know your babies will :D
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:59 am

I was amazed at the outcome myself. For only $50.00 for that old cage it sure is handsome now. We even had the seed catcher put on the bottom too. They like to hang on sometimes and let it fly.

Ted is about 5'7". The cage is very tall and Clint was up on the porch about five feet higher than Ted was to take the picture.

We got the idea by completely covering that smaller cage in hardware wire held on with zip-ties. UGH, it was a sight to behold. Worked but real dumb looking.

Plus, it is amazing what a good coat of paint will do for anything.
Last edited by Airstreamlady on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:52 am

wow...for 50 bucks that is amazing. No idea my weilder could do stuff like that..
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Lora
NFSA Member

New Cage

Postby Lora » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:43 am

Patti, that cage rocks! I would have loved to seen the cage before the makeover. I'm going to have to do some repairs to Bobo's cage. The bar spacing was supposed to be 1/2" but there were a few spaces that were bigger & he of course found one of them. The larger spaces are on the doors so I have to figure out what to do about it. My neigbor across the street is a welder so I'm hoping he will have some ideas. If he needs help I may need to pick your brain, lol. Again, beautiful cage. I can't wait to see it accessorized.

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:55 am

Lora,
In the meantime get a branch from a chewable tree and use the zip ties or wire to secure up those larger spaces. I've even used the zip ties to secure something like toys, a feeder, etc. over the larger opening just so they can't get to it. If they can't see it, all the better. Good Luck.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Lora
NFSA Member

New Cage

Postby Lora » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:11 pm

I'm afraid zip ties won't do this job. Too much space to cover. There are 2 large doors in the cage & the last bar space going up/down is 1" or almost 1" running the full length of both doors. He got out at the space in between the doors where there was also a larger space. I noticed a broken spoke there. He must have pushed & shoved until he broke it. Zip ties won't work unless I can find some really long ones. I need something narrow to cover about an 6 or 8" space. I'm thinking some type of small metal bars. The dealer at Ebay wants pictures in case it's a manufacturer's defect but I'm outside of 30 days & with the broken spoke I serious doubt he will do anything. This will be my last bird cage. I KNEW I should have gone with the galvanized metal cage from Quality Cage. My husband was whining about the cost so I went with the cheaper one. Will they never learn, lol???

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:57 pm

Lora, what you do is use the zip ties to hold on the limb or dowel. You put the limb or dowel going vertical (up and down) then secure it with the zip ties. I have them all over the cage at the cabin where I am now to secure the hardware cloth. They don't even try to chew them. I got mine from Radio Shack as they use them to tie up computer cords and things but you could get them cheap at Wal Mart too. Just a t hought.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Helen
Teen HOF

Re: New Cage

Postby Helen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:07 pm

Lora wrote:My husband was whining about the cost so I went with the cheaper one. Will they never learn, lol???

LOL I have this theory that with a few exceptions men usually don't ever learn.....or put much actual thought into things for that matter...
Last edited by Helen on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owned by

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Re: New Cage

Postby Airstreamlady » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:41 pm

- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Return to “Flyer Housing”