Critique my DIY Cage please

david_594
Baby Flyer

Critique my DIY Cage please

Postby david_594 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:12 pm

So I am picking up a flyer on wednesday which is coming with a small cage:

So I decided to build my own cage and here is what I have so far:

The dimenions are roughly 4' tall x 3 ' wide x 2' deep. All the wood exposed on the inside is covered with wire so there is no way he will be able to chew his way out. The wood is pine and it has received 5 coats of polyurethane to seal it.

A couple questions:

Should it have a solid floor instead of of a wire floor? What should I do for shelving within the cage. I am hoping to get some decent branches for inside so that he has things to climb on.

Thanks!

Lora
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

critique my diy cage

Postby Lora » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:54 pm

Awesome cage! You can get some really nice wooden shelves at qualitycage.com. They come in 24 & 30" length. I'm using one of their ramps as a shelf & it works great too. I particularly love the corner shelves they sell. Here's the link: http://qualitycage.com/chinchilla.html

Can't wait to see it when you're done.

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:06 pm

That cage looks amazing! I'd go with a solid floor but in plastic because wood will absorb urine and stink really bad.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:01 am

Great job! You know, since the floor is wire already, and you would have to coustom make a tray to fit :? I think I would just try using the plastic backed hospital bed pads or puppy pee pads to line the wire floor with for a while. See if it works out OK.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:21 am

wow a beautiful cage. Very nice job.

I agree with Darra. A tray underneath is a good way to catch all the shells etc and makes it easier to keep clean.

Mary

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:17 am

That is an awesome cage. I love it. I thought of the puppy pee pads but they are plastic backed and our little ones like to chew. GOOD JOB!
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:23 am

Looks great! The only thing I would do is add a 'go back' door - a small door to use to put your flyer back in the cage. With only the large door, the flyer will be back out before you ever get the door closed! Having a smaller door, with a shelf under it, also gives you a good place to feed them without them getting out.

Judy

ravenqueen
NFSA Member

Postby ravenqueen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:42 am

That cage is awesome! I showed my husband and he thought so too. He told me he would build Puck one like it when we get out to Boston. Woo-hoo! I'm so excited! Great design!

If you aren't handy with metal and a welder, Bass can make you a custom pan to fit at a reasonable price. I recommend calling rather than e-mail because they are slow to respond to it.

www.bassequipment.com
Squammy to Puck (SFS)
Mommy to:
Cadbury and Bunita-House Rabbits
Tumnus and Oscuns-Chinchillas
Bijou-"Black Bear" Syrian Hamster
Brisby, Mossflower, Cornflower, Sunflower, Powder, and Dublin-Mice
Four Roborovski Hamsters all named Stevie.

david_594
Baby Flyer

Postby david_594 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:49 pm

The cage was a fun project and all in told I only have about $70 into it.

I hadnt even though of a return door. I may just rework the left front section.

Once I figure out the best location for a wheel I am going to add a new piece of wood behind the rear wire that the wheel can attach to so its fairly sturdy.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:20 pm

That's really nice. I would say more of a solid floor with a pull out try kinda like how some bird cages are where there are two layers.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Return to “Flyer Housing”