Just Curious :?:

Auz
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Just Curious :?:

Postby Auz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 pm

I was just wondering,
Seeing as how Jack is now an only Child *Sniffle* and he's still a pup (Approximately five weeks old) I've been wondering, should I place him in an actual cage yet? I have many many maaany things for the little fuzzy already, Including A stealth wheel (=P thanks guys!) And I'm actually rather excited about setting him up with a cage.
He's very active (In small doses) His eyes are now wide open, He's able to eat solids - AND run around with them! lol XD He's even climbing rather well now, Even enjoys jumping onto my face :D (Can't say I expected that just yet.) Ahahaha, he's also been diligently trying to discover where the two holes in the middle of my face lead.

Anyway, For six years, I had a very loving Chinchilla, He's recently passed away (May he rest in peace) And I still have his Newest cage, it's 30x18x36. It has Three ramps, two balconies and a full middle floor in it, aswell and It's just been laying around, in my closet - It's been washed off but not throughly cleaned, Soooo, If I sanitize it, Would that be suitable for my little Jack? You know, just to hold him over, until I build his real cage =P Here's what it looks like Image
I can also take the middle floor out, if that would better suit the little guy.

I'm going to go look around, but if I cannot find it, what would be best to Sanitize the cage? (If It's even suitable for Jack, that is)

Thank you all for your help, be well and take care. hope to hear from ya soon.
Semper Squirrely.

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:17 am

Looks like a great cage for a baby! I actually think that quite a few people here have that cage. Taking out the middle floor would probably be best when he gets older as they like to jump around a lot and the middle part would really get in his way. Use bleach to sanitize it. I believe that the mixture is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :roll: Letting it dry in the sun will help to further sanitize it and get rid of the bleach odor too.

I'm happy that Jack is doing good, you're taking great care of him.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:24 am

WantsAFlyer wrote: ... believe that the mixture is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :roll: Letting it dry in the sun will help to further sanitize it and get rid of the bleach odor too.

That's correct. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:39 am

Excellent, thank you both :D
A friend of mine saw all the stuff I got for Jack, today.
He looked at me, then looked at the stuff, then me again and Just shook his head XD it was great.
Semper Squirrely.

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:06 am

It gets worse when you meet up with a friend you haven't seen in a long while and immediately stared gushing at what an amazing flyer room his bedroom can be turned into because of the rafters! :twisted: I saw hours of fun and exploration!
HOF to my little Nestle Quick

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 am

Jack will help you keep REAL friends and cull out the rest. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:14 pm

And immediately stared gushing at what an amazing flyer room his bedroom can be turned into
XD Ahahaha, the bad thing is, I've already done that!!

Jack will help you keep REAL friends and cull out the rest. Wink
Hey, Anyone who will let Jack burrow in their bra, is O.K. In my book :twisted:

Hmm, what would be the best approach to sanitizing that cage?
I was thinking the bathtub, but O.o how would I go about doing that? lol One gallon of bleach and Ten gallons of water seems a bit much :?
Semper Squirrely.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:07 pm

Auz, just put the cage in the tub or shower floor without water. Then get a bucket, or a large pot or bowl and put in a 1/10 solution of bleach & water next to the cage and sponge it on well with a rag or something. let it soak off any gunkies and scrub. Then rinse well and let drip-dry in the tub.

The only need you would have for filling the whole tub is if the cage were so caked with dirt that it needed to be soaked for a while. If so you could just use hot soapy water for that, then when it is soaked and scrubbed clean, drain the dirty water and sanitize with the bucket of bleach solution as above :)
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Darra takes her cages to a car wash and blasts 'em. :twisted:

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Ah, one of them fancy buckets, That makes sense. :-p (Not sure why that option escaped me..)
It shouldn't be that bad, though, The cage is relatively clean and I don't see any Visible mess on it.
I Just want to be sure it's Sanitized for the Little one, I don't want him getting sick because of my Negligence.
Anyway, Thanks Deb!

Darra takes her cages to a car wash and blasts 'em. :twisted:
:D Ahahaha, I love it! - I must do that one day. My wretched little car is about the size of that cage, so I can probably clean both my car AND my Fuzzies Cage! lol, Gotta love the 40 mpg, though.
Last edited by Auz on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Squirrely.

Tamis
Flying Furball

Postby Tamis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:44 pm

that cage looks great Auz! I am sure your lovely will have lots of endless entertainment with all the things you acquire!! Make sure to post pics when you have it all prettied up!!

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:54 pm

I am sure your lovely will have lots of endless entertainment with all the things you acquire!!

Thank you, Tamis! :D Here's to hoping!
As for the pics, Will do, my friend!

Take care
Semper Squirrely.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:31 am

Auz, that cage will work great, just make sure to put little Jack plenty of toys in it, especially bells for him to ring all night :roll:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:58 am

Haha, thanks Glorya, that's what I wanna hear! I'm setting the rest of his cage up today (The delay was bedding) So he should be in it either tonight, or tomorrow morning, woo. Hmm, he'll be alright without a heating pad, right? lol He's had that thing since the day I got him, but I've noticed he's favoring places that are comfy now, as opposed to warm.
And as for the bells, lol When I had Gambit (My chinchilla) He would run on his wheel, What seemed like all night, and my goodness was that wheel squeeky, so I think the bells will be a welcome sound to hear, atleast I'll know Jack's still alive, right? lol
Semper Squirrely.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:26 pm

It's funny with a flyer, you shoot up straight to see what's wrong when it gets quiet. :wink: The silence is deafening. :twisted:

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:04 am

Joan, you've got that right. If Martie doesn't run across my face at least once before daylight or if I don't hear Pistol's loud squeal, I'm up hunting them to see what's going on.... :roll:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:23 am

Ahaha, Excellent.
Jack sure has the "Face" thing under control. lol

OK, so I mixed the 10 parts Bleach, 1 Part Water solution. (lol, kidding.)
But seriously, I mixed the solution, added a bit of dawn to it, for that extra cage cleaning kick, and scrubbed that puppy for about an hour. I then proceeded to Rinsed it off with my hose (Because it was washed outside, due to major eye burnage inside) And then Rinsed it once more with HOT water from my shower. A few bleach burns and Open cuts I was unaware of having, until washing the cage, later, The thing is finally drying outside, with a Fan blowing directlyon it. So tomorrow sometime, I'm thinking about 2pm, I'm going to set it all up and Let Jack explore a bit. Everything sound Kosher so far?

I was wondering, Amongst the dozen other things I got Jack today, I got him Ka-Bob "Bark Bites" Which are, well..Chunks of bark, Rodents can chew, I assume. I also got his Lil'Paw "Water Tube" which looks like a test tube, a Kaytee "Tropical fruit Mineral treat" for birds and Nutriphase wildberry Yogurt Drops. Does that all sound Ok, so far? - The other things I am sure are alright for him, Just wasn't sure if these were acceptable, and I wanted to make sure.
Now, I still actually need another nest box, Which I think I may order from Cuddle creations, I saw a little acorn hut that peaked my interest. But aside from that, I think I have everything, finally - Wait till you see his cage, haha.
Thank you for your time, be well and take care.
Semper Squirrely.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:10 am

I know I can't wait to see it, lol. You have to be honest & tell how long it took you & how many times you removed everything & started over. I always wash my cage outside... or I should say my hubby does. We just soap it all up with the bleach water & Dawn solution, let it sit for a min or 2 & then hose it off good. No hot water required. Keep it simple! Do you have any tree branches for your cage? Also you want like 3 sleeping choices. I have a little wren nest box, a pouch & a little tent. He rotates between them.

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:19 am

Lora wrote: Also you want like 3 sleeping choices. I have a little wren nest box, a pouch & a little tent. He rotates between them.

But don't think you have to spend tons of money. Nestles favorite sleeping spot is a paper shopping bag. She pulled all of her bedding in there and chewed a hole on the side for easy access. :roll:
HOF to my little Nestle Quick

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:27 am

You have to be honest & tell how long it took you & how many times you removed everything & started over.
Haha, shall do. I'm rather articulate about things like that, so it'll take a while :o

Nestles favorite sleeping spot is a paper shopping bag. She pulled all of her bedding in there and chewed a hole on the side for easy access
Aww, lol that's adorable, Wasn't aware they could use paper bags, although, I guess that makes sense. Don't suppose you have any other nest box Ideas? :twisted: lol
Semper Squirrely.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:09 pm

:twisted: There are as many alternative nests as there are flyers among us, my freind! Some favorites at my house; a kleenex box, the felt pouch that a bottle of Crown Royal comes in, MCoy pottery, and Tom Tom's current favorite-one of my old purses he fell in love with when he was "helping" me clean out my closet :D

So yes, it is very true that you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to keep your owner happy. But believe me brother, all of us understand about shopping for our furballs :roll:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:14 pm

The little wren nest boxes are under $10 at either Pet Smart or Petco, I forget which. Admittedly I paid a bit more for the pouches & the little tent (worth every penny) but he does have a fleece hat I bought for under $5 at a thrift store. I rearrange his cage almost every time I clean it so it takes me FOREVER. My husband teases me endlessly about this. I can't help it. I tell myself I'm just gonna clean out the bottom & get out but it never works out that way. Bobo is so neat too. I could probably get away with cleaning his sleeping quarters once a month if I wanted to. They are always spotless except for a nut or 2 stashed here & there, lol.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:06 pm

Lora, it's a good thing you have a flyer who just happens to be neat like you! Since I discovered the joys of Care Fresh Litter, the bottoms of my cages may go 6 months :twisted: I let the 3-Ms cage go last time until they had tree frogs for pets in there :oops:

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:55 pm

Oh how I love this Forum. Haha, I know I don't have to, but I know I'll end up spending quite a fair bit on the little bugger.
Is it bad that the first thing I do in the morning, is check On jack, then Hop on here? lol, Used to be, I'd workout as soon as I woke up, but now A fuzzy little ball of fluff has suddenly become my main Priority.

I think a Kleenex box would be pretty nifty, and an Old shirt of mine is now In his cage. As soon as I get his Hammock and Acorn, I'll snap a few pics. :D Thanks again, guys!
Semper Squirrely.

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Auz wrote:I know I don't have to, but I know I'll end up spending quite a fair bit on the little bugger.

It's something that comes with being owned by one of these little guys. Pretty soon you'll be walking into stores and saying to yourself "I wonder what Jack would like in here?" or "Would Jack like this?" and of course "This would be perfect in Jack's cage!"
Auz wrote:Is it bad that the first thing I do in the morning, is check On jack, then Hop on here? lol, Used to be, I'd workout as soon as I woke up, but now A fuzzy little ball of fluff has suddenly become my main Priority.

He wouldn't have it any other way. :twisted: I'm glad that you're enjoying him so much! You'll be wrapped around his little paw in no time.

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Ahaha, so I've noticed!
he sure does has me trained, and he knows it.
Every four hours, he gets up and causes a commotion, because he knows it's feeding time, and if I'm not there - Oh man, Hell hath no fury like a hungry fuzzy scorned :evilbat:

But after he eats, he rewards me with snuggles, snuggles and un-eaten milk, all over my shirt :roll: Gotta love the little guy.
Semper Squirrely.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Deb, I am in no way "neat" lol. Ask my realtor, he's tearing his hair out over us. I am the clutter queen. However, after raising rabbits & guinea pigs I am conditioned to having to clean a cage once a week. With Bobo I can go 2 wks easlily & probably once a month with the Carefresh (love this stuff!). My sense of smell is not what it used it be. I've never "smelled" anything from Bobo's cage. I just clean it when it looks a mess. These little guys really are the best. They're cuter than cute, personable, loving, intelligent, they don't smell, the mess is minimal (compared to any other rodent) & they're just plain FUN!

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:18 pm

These little guys really are the best. They're cuter than cute, personable, loving, intelligent, they don't smell, the mess is minimal (compared to any other rodent) & they're just plain FUN!

Here here!
After reading that, I feel as if I should raise my glass in a toast :twisted:
Semper Squirrely.

Return to “Flyer Housing”