Extended Travel Cage

TalaWolf
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Extended Travel Cage

Postby TalaWolf » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi all. I know I haven't posted here in a while. I’ve been crazy busy with RL and haven’t been forum surfing as much as I used to, although for the most part I was a lurker on here anyway.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good travel cage for me. Mica and I are moving across the country. West coast to east coast. My move out date for my apartment is going to be October 31st, but we’re not actually leaving until the 6th or 7th of November. So I’ll be staying with my mom for a bit over a week because I’ll probably be actually out of apartment a few days before the move out date and will spend the rest of that time patching the hole my brother-in-law accidentally put in the wall when we were rearranging furniture, and just sort of cleaning up in general. Mica’s big cage is going in a moving truck at the end of October so I won’t have it for a few weeks. Basically I need a cage that Mica could live in for about two weeks time. It can’t be too big because space in my car will be limited, but I want it to be big enough that she hopefully won’t freak out too much. We’ll be spending four to five days in a car, and while she’ll be sleeping during the day, I can’t really let her out in the hotel room at night, because I’d be too scared of her vanishing, so it has to be big enough to fit her stealth wheel in but still small enough that it will fit in my car. I’m also up against a price barrier, so it probably can’t really be more than $60.00… I don’t think I could afford anymore than that. My DH will already freak out about that much for a travel cage, lol.

Any ideas?
Christina

*~HOF to my precious Mica~*
Mom to my Australian Kelpie dog, Juno

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:18 pm

That one would be good BUT I recommend getting one from somewhere other than a commercial pet store. Their prices are ridiculous! I got Nestle's huge cage for 30, and I know for a fact you can get a similar one to what Darra posted or bigger for way less than that. If there are any swap meets near you, go to them! If they sell any kind of animals, there are bound to be cages, and I know for a fact you can get them for under $20, even under 10 for the size you're looking for. Same exact cage, without the petsmart name.Where are you currently located?
HOF to my little Nestle Quick

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:46 pm

There are cut-rate pet stores in some malls that have cheaper cages. You may need to put twisty ties across spaces that might be a bit too large for a flyer. When Amanda was little she was able to slip out the space by the door of her travel cage, but she is now too big for her favorite escape spot.

Do plan to let Mica out for supervised play each day.
Hotel rooms are fun to explore.
Amanda and Linda

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:38 pm

I bought a 24" reptile cage from Martin's. They have all kinds of sizes & the prices are reasonable. Good, sturdy little cage for travel.

TalaWolf
Juvie Pup

Postby TalaWolf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually had been looking at martin's cages. Lora, which of the 24" reptile cages did you get? They have the L-513 and the L-515 that I saw when I looked http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/reptile/

What do you think of the travel cottage (F-400) or the large collapsible carrier (CC-3018)? http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/travel/

I already have one that's a lot like the one that Darra posted. I used it to take Mica with me to visit my sister for the weekend, but Mica really seemed to hate it and I worried that she could escape from it. It's probably silly to buy a new one I guess, I just want her to be as comfortable as possible on the trip and wonder if a new cage would help. Probably wishful thinking. =(
Christina

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:01 pm

One of our cages came from Petco. I think they called it a flight cage for finches. It's 30"x18"x18", has a large door and a small door, food & water cups, and a slide out tray for cleaning. I bought it as a travel cage but one of my flyers likes it and stays in it most of the time. She gets to run around in their bedroom every night but doesn't seem to mind going into her cage. My DH built 3 big, tall cages that the other flyers are in, but I realized that the height of the cage isn't that important since they never go down to the bottom. They stay in the upper half of the cage, so why not have a cage that is only half as tall and just put it up on something? Anyway, the cage from Petco was only about $40 and works well for us.
Best wishes in your new home!
Marilyn
Marilyn & David
Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini
In Loving Memory of Burl

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:26 am

I got the L-500 from Martin's. It's 18 x 11 x 24. It's big enough for his wheel, a shelf, pouch & other items. He's spent 2-3 nights in it without too much fuss. Bobo's happy long as he has a pouch & acorns, lol.

TalaWolf
Juvie Pup

Postby TalaWolf » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:14 pm

Stupid question but my brain is malfunctioning and I just can't remember...

When it lists the dimensions of the cage, like 18 x 11 x 24... which one is which again... what order does it go in? Length x Width x Height? I'm confused. =(
Christina

Return to “Flyer Housing”