Please help! My squirrel is very lethargic, moody, and rubbing her face

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

alyh28
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Please help! My squirrel is very lethargic, moody, and rubbing her face

Postby alyh28 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me. Please note, I already have an appointment with an exotic vet on Tuesday (I called everywhere its the earliest they could get me in) but I'm very concerned and I'm hoping for advice for what to do in the meantime.

I have two flying squirrels who are 5-6 years old. I'm in grad school in a state where I'm not allowed to have them so my parents have been watching them for me. When I got home for a break I immediately noticed that Peanut is acting weird. She seems a little off-balance and is rubbing her face against things. Her eyes appear slightly swollen. She is very lethargic and will rarely come out of her cozy cube and is in a generally pissy mood. The other squirrel is acting fine. My first concern is always MBD but the face thing seems weird.

Their diet is Henry's Healthy Blocks along with at least one leafy green (usually kale), mushrooms, sometimes another vegetable, and a fruit. We occasionally give almonds as a treat but its very limited. We also sprinkle calcium carbonate on all of their food, my mom was using a half teaspoon but they usually don't eat all their food, most of it ends up around the cage. They also have a cuttlebone in their cage. They usually love the blocks, but she had no appetite for anything last night. The only thing she'd eat is a piece of an almond (I know its not the right thing to give her I just wanted to see if she would eat anything) and I think she ate some of a pear that I had sprinkled some calcium on.

The more I've thought about it and read up on this website, I'm starting to worry that maybe we've actually overdone the calcium or maybe its a vitamin D2 or D3 deficiency. I haven't been able to find any of the liquid vitamins for the water that I've read about on here. None of the links I've found are still active. If these would help, please let me know if you know of a good place where I can buy them.

I'm worried about starting the MBD protocol because what if I've actually overdone calcium or its a vitamin D issue or she just has a cold. Also its hard to get calcium in her because she wont eat anything and she is NOT easy to hold to "force feed." I have no idea how to do that. I got them from a lady who didn't want them anymore (and was feeding them hamster food #-o) so they are not the best at being handled. They aren't afraid and will climb on me, but they will not let me grab them and I really don't want to stress her out more.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm sorry for the long post. I feel awful and I really want to do anything I can to help her. :puppydogeyes:

tivs

Re: Please help! My squirrel is very lethargic, moody, and rubbing her face

Postby tivs » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:51 am

Was the vet able to help at all?

I haven't encountered your particular issue, so I'm not sure what to advise. The diet seems fine, although a half teaspoon of calcium carbonate powder does seem like a lot especially since the HHBs should already have it.

As for the liquid vitamins, I keep a bottle of Oasis Vita-Drops (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DINEU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but I use a very low dosage (1-3drops per 16oz). Also, I have regular water available in addition to the vitamin water.

You might also consider offering Fox Valley formula (https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-day-one-formula-20-50/). I have a four-year-old, and she still likes this stuff once a week. I think it rounds out the diet nicely.

alyh28

Postby alyh28 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, Peanut passed away before we could make it into the vet. She went downhill so quickly. I actually ended up overnighting Fox Valley Formula and fed her that with a syringe but she didn't make it. I should have reacted faster so I regret that, but I really wasn't sure what was happening & I didn't want to make it worse. I found out my mom was just sprinkling calcium on top of the food instead of shaking it up in a bag so everything was dusted like I was doing so maybe she just wasn't eating it (my parents take care of them while I'm at away at school) No poop with white film so no overt signs she got too much calcium. Honestly, she may have just fallen and hit her head or something.

My other squirrel seems fine but I want to make sure this doesn't happen to him. We're adding yogurt to his diet and he LOVES it so thats good news and 1/8 teaspoon of calcium carbonate to his fruit every other day, and 1/8 teaspoon dusting of Reptocal (instead of the calcium) once a week. He gets Henry's Healthy Blocks and now yogurt every day so I didn't want to overdo it. I don't know. #-o

I also added more beds/hammocks throughout the cage so there's more to grab onto.

tivs

Postby tivs » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 am

Sorry for your loss :(

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”