EMERGENCY!!!!!

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

EMERGENCY!!!!!

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:57 pm

HELP! Tonight when I went to give Cali her nightly mean I saw ants...everywhere! They're those teeny feral ants. They're tiny and they bite and they're native to florida so hopefully someone can help me out....they are in our house b/c it's old and as of yet they hadn't found Cali's cage but today I guess they did and they were everywhere....she didn't seem to be bothered by them and they weren't in her hat where she sleeps but I'm still worried....can they attack her and hurt her? We killed all the ants and sprayed the room and I moved her cage and went bar by bar smooshing ants but there could be more somewhere....I hope that they don't find her again while I'm sleeping. I took all the food out and checked it and cleaned everything and I'm hoping I got them....please, what I need to know asap is if they'll hurt her or if she'll be fine. I mean, when these ants find food they march everywhere, they were on lots of the bars. HELP PLEASE!

RebeccaMarieUCF
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby RebeccaMarieUCF » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:59 pm

Sorry, I wasn't logged in, I was in a rush, but it's me....lol as if you couldn't tell....please please please help me or I'll be forced to call Laurie at late at night!
My first furbaby:
Cali >^..^

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: EMERGENCY!!!!!

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:07 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]... They're tiny and they bite and they're native to florida so hopefully someone can help me out....they are in our house b/c it's old

The tiny black ones I am used to seeing form long lines and usually don't bite. Fire ants aren't usually found inside houses. Ant traps (you can get them at grocery stores) will usually get rid of them.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:03 am

Wow - good morning everyone! I think you did the right thing - kill every one you could see - move the cage and attack the room were they are. I would keep a very close vigil for the next week while you try and find the trail they are coming from. whew!
Laurie
Mom to Orphaned Fliers Everywhere

RebeccaMarieUCF
Flying Furball

Postby RebeccaMarieUCF » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:28 pm

they aren't the little black ones...these are smaller and red and they do bite....we've had insect guys come and look b/c we cant' get rid of them...they are called feral ants and they are nomadic so they have no main nest meaning those ant posion thingies are useless...it's a war we are waging!

I looked today and there don't seem to be any at her new location...it looks like I"m part of some strange religion though b/c theres a white baby power ring around where her cage is ont he furniture...all I need is some candles and I"ll be set ha ha ha~!
My first furbaby:
Cali >^..^

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:41 pm

[quote="RebeccaMarieUCF"]they aren't the little black ones...these are smaller and red and they do bite....we've had insect guys come and look b/c we cant' get rid of them...they are called feral ants and they are nomadic so they have no main nest meaning those ant posion thingies are useless...it's a war we are waging!

Do you mean the red imported fire ant?

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/ant ... re_ant.htm
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

RebeccaMarieUCF
Flying Furball

Postby RebeccaMarieUCF » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:04 pm

I don't think they are classified as fire ants
They are called "feral" ants by the insect killer guys
My first furbaby:
Cali >^..^

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:09 pm

[quote="RebeccaMarieUCF"] ... They are called "feral" ants by the insect killer guys

Well, feral just means wild and I've never known of a domesticated ant. LOL :twisted:

RebeccaMarieUCF
Flying Furball

Postby RebeccaMarieUCF » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:14 pm

See, now you're just mocking me in my time of desperation ;)

They are teeny so I dunno if they are fire ants. But they are red and bite so if that makes them fire ants....anyways, they aren't on her cage now and I've been checking like a crazy woman
My first furbaby:
Cali >^..^

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:40 am

Rebecca,

You are talking about Pharoah Ants, and I really don't think they bite. They are just after Cali's food. I'm running out the door to work, but here's one site:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/phar.htm

Talk to you tonight.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:55 pm

:woohoo: Leah to the rescue! Maybe an ardvark would make a charming, useful pet, Rebecca :D

RebeccaMarieUCF
Flying Furball

Postby RebeccaMarieUCF » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:58 pm

Well, those sound like the ones we have except that i know the ones we have bite b/c they've bitten me before....hmmm
My first furbaby:
Cali >^..^

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:05 pm

Deb, you crack me up - flyer people are the funniest people anywhere, I swear...I would have rather stuck an ice pick in my eye than miss a whole weekend with you all in Cedar Key - damn and blast.

Rebecca, honey, is your pest control guy from Bithlo? It's hilarious that he told you they were "feral" ants! I laughed my head off this morning when I read that. They come after my orchids, too - they love the nectar that oozes out of the flower spikes. Spraying definitely does not work with them, baits are the only way - and besides, the sprays can be very dangerous around Cali. You might want to remove any of her leftover food in the morning when you wake up (and she goes to bed) so that you minimize the amount that sits around. I've never heard of Darra's baby powder trick - interesting! Does it seem to be helping?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:27 pm

[quote="Leah"] ... I've never heard of Darra's baby powder trick - interesting!

Sulfa powder works on cobras. Or so my friends in Malaysia say.

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:31 pm

Joan wrote:
Sulfa powder works on cobras. Or so my friends in Malaysia say.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotflol:

RebeccaMarieUCF
Flying Furball

Postby RebeccaMarieUCF » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:15 pm

Well, whatever ants they are.... they are no longer on her cage

I moved her away from where my dad sprayed (against my wishes). And there are no ants so I don't know if they are confused and don't know where the food went, or if the powder is working, either way...I'm happy....and I still don't get the aardvark comment but I have a feeling you're making fun of me so :P on you
My first furbaby:
Cali >^..^

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:29 pm

Awww, no, Deb wasn't making fun - she was trying to help....aardvarks eat ants....

....and are very likely where Bithlonians came from....

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:16 am

hehehe
where is Ardvaarks R Us when you need them?!!

Judy

katiedid
NFSA Member

Postby katiedid » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:21 pm

Leah wrote:It's hilarious that he told you they were "feral" ants! I laughed my head off this morning when I read that.

She probably misunderstood what the pest control guy said. Feral and Pharoah are very similar in sound. Anyway...seems like the ant problem has been resolved.
~Katie~
Kya :queen:, TC :smt050, Van :smt049 & Squirrelly :wings: ~ Southern Flyers
Aesop :jester:, Ambraesia, Pepper & Abby :smt057 ~ Sugar Gliders
In loving memory of my little King boy :king: and Sweet Valor

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:41 am

If it makes you feel better they are known as "sugar ants" here in South Alabama. At 1:30 AM I have had to control my laughter. But I love the baby powder idea. Just can't put it around 3 cages that I can sit in on carpet. Dogs would have a great time rolling in the powder. LOL Then maybe I could. Thank goodness we don't have an ant problem . Only outside. Good luck and things will be ok. Your in good hands with NFSA advise.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”