Judy/hurricane Rita/HELP!

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Leah
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Leah » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:34 pm

My order from Chris' store is on the way to you, Darra. I forwarded the order confirmation to your email address. Please let me know what else Judy needs when you get a chance. Thank you so much for driving some supplies to her.

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Darra, I'd love to place an order and have it sent to you.....what does she need, tell me and you've got it............
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:26 am

Leah wrote:My order from Chris' store is on the way to you, Darra. I forwarded the order confirmation to your email address. Please let me know what else Judy needs when you get a chance. Thank you so much for driving some supplies to her.

Leah, can you tell me what I should order, I've never rehabbed a baby so I don't know what's needed in the way of syringes, esibilac etc etc.....I'll order tonight from whereever.....just send me what you would order that totals $25.00 before shipping..........please ????

Thanks!
6 1/2 yr old

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:19 pm

Just a quick peek while checking email and such. Figured I'd offer a suggestion of hot water bottles for the babies and something cool for Judy cause right now we are being told 3 weeks for power (unless she has power now.)

Anyway, see you all later. :)
~*~Reesa~*~
Happy Squammy to Tajar and Baxter

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:46 pm

Okay Darra.....order placed and I emailed you a copy. I also took Moonsong's suggestion and ordered you several heat packs. Now, let's hope Chris gets my phone message and gets the items to you on time. Please keep us posted.
6 1/2 yr old

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:25 pm

Darra maybe you could start stock pileing your ice and take her a cooler ful??? Not sure your going to fine bagged ice? Our care package will be mailed off Mon AM. Please e mail me when you receive it. Thanks.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:39 pm

So sorry, Laura - I am just now seeing your message. I'm sure you did fine with your ordering. Maybe we should post what we've all ordered here so that we all know what's most needed. I ordered 5 lbs of Esbilac, syringes, french tubes for feeding tiny, tiny baby flyers (I knew Judy didn't have any of those when she and I spoke about little Feather), and some nipples for the syringes. The heat packs are a great idea - in fact, Darra, Judy talked about the inexpensive ones you can get in Wal-Mart that don't require a microwave or anything - they just heat up when they're opened...hand warmers or something like that? I've never used them, but that would sure be the ticket with no electricity.

Darra, I don't think anyone will have any problem with you using cash in any way you deem appropriate. Wal-Mart has the best price on cotton balls, too, for bedding. You do whatever you need to and let us know what else we can send.

Avalon
Flying Furball

Paypal

Postby Avalon » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:57 pm

Darra,
Do you have a Paypal account and I could send money to you through Paypal?

If you do send me the email address you use for your Paypal account.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
- Lucretius.

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:43 am

Darra, with PayPal, people can send money to your account and then you can pay for things with that balance by sending money to whatever merchant accepts PayPal. Alternatively, you can transfer that money into your checking account by just registering it with PayPal. It's really, really easy.

Anyway, I just spoke with Chris at Squirrels and More (I think that's the new name of her business), and she is sending the supplies that Laura and I ordered in the same package to save on shipping expenses - I told her to just split the shipping cost between us, Laura. She is also substituting some cans of Esbilac for the Ready-to-Feed because it's more cost-effective and the Ready-to-Feed comes in a bottle that is too big for animals other than puppies or raccoons.

In addition to that, she is including some medical supplies and bedding (and whatever else she can) free of charge, in addition to discounting the cost of the supplies we ordered to make up for the additional shipping charges to get the supplies to Darra by Thursday. What a angel she is!!

Pam
NFSA Member

help

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:48 am

Darra i sent my contribution this morning early, sure hope you get it in time...thinking of you and seding best wishes and prayers your way. Hope all goes well for your journey, and give judy hugs from my crew :angel7:
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:26 am

Some items that helped us after Katrina (and were very hard to find after the storm): size C&D batteries, propane in small bottles for a camp stove, a little battery operated table fan, gas cans (to bring home gas for the generator), lamp oil, bread, candles, charcoal, bottled water.
FEMA and Red Cross quickly had ice and drinking water in gallon bottles availiable in even very remote communities several times a week. But she might need some extra coolers. Darra, I would have loved a big cooler full of frozen 20oz bottles of water. I would have kept one in my shirt. Those little gel body coolers would have been nice too.
We found ourselves slapped back to hunter-gatherers. And Judy will be too busy with the animals to go out on "foraging" trips in the air conditioned truck.....sorry, flashback :oops:
Darra by the time you get there with provisions she,s gonna be so sick of being pioneer woman, she'll be excited to get any small comfort items. And that first loaf of fresh bread will be welcome.
David says be sure to tell you to bring those lights that can be carried like a flashlight or hung up like a lantern or set on a surface to use the gooseneck light like a lamp. And if they have a generator they might need heavy extention cords. And GAS CANS.

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:19 pm

Paper towels and hand sanitizer might be helpful.

Cathy

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:37 pm

Darra, just a suggestion for yourself.... Make sure to get lots of gas (get some 5 gallon gas cans and load them up). From the last I heard only one store in the area is open and selling gas and that's Wal-Mart. There are people waiting in line for 12 Hours to get gas from there too. So if you have ANY extra room, pack in those gas cans cause you'll need them!
~*~Reesa~*~

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:40 pm

Darra make sure you have at least 2 cans of gas for yourself. It is strange seeing cars with red gas cans on the tops going down the interstates. The small containers of gas for the cook stoves is a great idea and the different types of lights. Batteries are always a welcome and if I could get my portable tv to you I would. I love that little thing for it will let you know what is going on in the outside world. Seeing the distruction around her on TV. is heartbreaking. Thank you so much for doing what you can to help .
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:34 pm

Darra don't depend on the store near your family camp to still have any gas once you get there. All the pumps in this area ran out long before the gas trucks could get here.

Anita Rae
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Anita Rae » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:49 am

Check is in the mail. LOL I've always wanted to say that. But it REALLY is.

Darra, eggs will last a long time with minimal refridgeration.
Fresh fruits and veggies will also
A nice chef salad would probably go good in those temperatures.
Spam
tuna
Peanut Butter
Anything heat and eat.
A deck of cards?
Captains crackers come individually wrapped
Mosquito spray

Some things you can steal...oh did I say that? I mean some things you can get free.
Individual serving of mayo for sandwiches and tuna
individual jellies to go with the PNB
Individual salad dressings

Tell Judy if she has her acorns in a container to spread them out on a towell. Mine grew mold last year while we were without A/C

Be sure to take some cool clothes, 96 degrees, water standing everywhere, it's gonna be like a sauna. No water for a shower.

WOULDN'T THIS BE A GOOD PLACE FOR SOME OF THE RESCUE FUND TO BE SPENT?

Avalon
Flying Furball

Western Union

Postby Avalon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:13 am

Western Union does instant Money Transfers. You do need to register and set up an account through your credit card. There's a fee charged any time you send money and it depends on the amount you send. I sent $100.00 and the fee was $15.00.

The money is transferred instantly. My info to send to Darra was

Darra Martin
Benton, Arkansas

I'm given a confirmation number and notified through email when the money is picked up.

Darra can pick up the money at any Western Union location in Benton.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
- Lucretius.

The Boo's Char
Juvie Pup

Postby The Boo's Char » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:34 pm

All of you are trully Angels sent from above. I cannot get over the bonding here! If there were anything I could do, I would. I have 2 dollars to my name at this moment and some change. I can however continue with my prayers. I had judy and the others affected by the hurricane put on the prayer list at my church too.

Jme
Teen HOF

Postby Jme » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 pm

I all I have to send is my best wishes! And that I hope she is doing fine, and that they are all safe and well! I wish I could send more!
Jme

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:28 am

US Mail should start back up in the area in this next week. The post office is calling back all their career employees (they tried to call Jay back but he's non-career so we're sitting tight a bit longer in the A/C. hehe)

One other thing I thought about earlier while reading over the news is mosquito repellent. Because of the heat and standing water, "skeeters" are in abundance and there have been several cases of the West Nile Virus in the area (well in Beaumont and Pt. Arthur, which isn't too far away as the "skeeter" flies...)

I don't know if there is some kinda all natural repellent you can use that may be lick proof (for those fliers that love to groom) but ya might check online?

At last word I heard power is still a month in coming but I'm hoping it's just the power company's way of saying "You'll get it when you get it and be happy with it." and not an actual estimate. hehe

If I get some other ideas, I'll try to pass them along. Sorry I can't help out financially... we're not looking for a payday any time soon with all of this crap.

Hope the trip goes okay.
~*~Reesa~*~

Bobbie

I know that Judy is diabetic and Lance has health issues

Postby Bobbie » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:52 am

If you get the opportunity to talk with them again, you might ask if there are prescriptions that need to be filled and if that is the case, feel free to use the money I sent for that and if that was not enough, let me know, I'll send more. We have a waiting game going at all of the drug stores here in Lafayette with prescription services (due to the influx of extra people from Katrina and telecommunications being so faulty) so you might want to get that information as soon as possible to give it time to happen. That is why I sent money after seeing that the rehab needs seemed to be met by such generous donors, so that it can be applied as it is needed. We ran into problems of extreme money shortage for necessary items like prescriptions, when we were flooded and lost everything twice back in the 80's in Baton Rouge. Thanks to all of the generous people who jumped up and helped without hesitation, as I have said before, you make me proud to be an American where we are free to help and reach out to those in need and actually have the facilities to do it with. Darra, thanks for taking the emergency stuff to them, you are going to be their link to sanity, I know, having been there.......Bless you and stay safe. :angel1:

Anita Rae
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Anita Rae » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:40 am

Darra, with PayPal, people can send money to your account and then you can pay for things with that balance by sending money to whatever merchant accepts PayPal. Alternatively, you can transfer that money into your checking account by just registering it with PayPal. It's really, really easy.

And PayPal is a dandy place to keep funds that your DH doesn't know about. But I wouldn't know anything about that since I don't have one of those type accounts. :wink:

Irene Dowdy
Juvie Pup

Postby Irene Dowdy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:45 am

I did not know all of this till now and I found out on Bev's flyer site. I would like to send a check if it is not too late and I am so sorry and my heart and prayers go out to Judy and her family and tiny precious flyers.
Darra, I have sent you an e-mail about this.

Hugs, Irene & Laddie
Take care, Irene & my tiny angel Laddie

Pam
NFSA Member

Postby Pam » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:56 am

God bless you on your journey Darra. I have 3 fox squirrels i am taking care of since yesterday, 2 boys 1 girl, mother was hit by a car, our older son found them curled up together , so i went and got them . Tell judy my prayers are with her and family. pam
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”