Kiwi broke her leg

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Kiwi broke her leg

Postby Kiwisgirl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:59 pm

Kiwi broke her leg last night (cause unkown)I took her to the vet today and he said that he could put a pin in her leg to fix it but she may chew her stiches out. He will do the surgery tomorrow morning. Has anyone had a flyer break their leg and how well did they recover,and what did you do to keep them from chewing their stiches out? I am very worried that something could go wrong and i could lose her. so i was just hoping one of yall could tell me what to expect since my vet has never dealt with flyers before today. thanx, Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:
Kiwi :smt051
Dash :silly:

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Kiwi broke her leg

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:26 pm

[quote="Kiwisgirl" ... He will do the surgery tomorrow morning. Has anyone had a flyer break their leg and how well did they recover,and what did you do to keep them from chewing their stiches out? I am very worried that something could go wrong and i could lose her.

Flyers heal amazing well. If the break is not compound (bone sticking out), I don't think I's do surgery. If he can splint it some way so it doesn't hurt ... but, even that may not be necessary. I'll ask the ER team to offer their opinion.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:14 pm

I agree with Joan - if the bone isn't sticking out, I wouldn't operate. Are the ends of the bone lined up? If not, see if he can maneuver it back in place, and it will probably heal on it's own. Try to keep her as still as possible - yeah, I know, that's easier said than done! But put her in a small cage with no limbs to climb - maybe an aquarium or plastic critter carrier or something. These little imps heal awfully fast, so it won't be for long. I've had several squirrels - greys, foxers and flyers - with broken bones, and never had to set any of them. (Believe me, my vet has had more experience with squirrels than she ever dreamed of!! I've seen to that!!) I'm sure that you'll get a lot more answers from people with more experience than I. Listen to everyone, weigh all advice, look at all the angles, throw in some common sense, and follow your heart. And try not to worry too much - Kiwi should be just fine in no time at all.

Judy

hauk
NFSA Member

broken leg

Postby hauk » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Surgery on that leg does not need to happen,If the bone is not sticking out I would not do it.Flyers heal very quickly. Tom

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:08 pm

Kayla, I'm sorry about Kiwi's broken leg. I hope everything goes okay with the surgery!

BreezieGirl
Flying Furball

Postby BreezieGirl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Sorry! That was me.
~Kaylie
Owned by Jasper

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Little Mima :smt049

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:20 pm

Yes, I have had that happen. Amelia broke her leg in her big cage and never found out why or how. She was restricted in a small cage for a couple weeks and began using it again. She recovered completely and was sneaking out of her small cage every time I opened the door after a few days.
kay

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Oh yeah, I'd give liquid calcium in yogurt.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Didn't someone come up with a formular for a flier cast? and couldn't you use and e-collar to keep from chewing?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 pm

[quote="Anonymous"] ... Didn't someone come up with a formular for a flier cast?

Yes, but that was only for non-chewing infants.

and couldn't you use and e-collar to keep from chewing?

You would have to make your own because they are so small http://www.gliderhealth.com/slfmutl/ecollar.html and they've been unnecessary for breaks according to past experience. Now, with sutures, it might be worth it.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Katie
NFSA Member

Postby Katie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 am

As a vet (or vet student), I would want more information about the fracture before I offer any advice - which leg, where on the leg (which bone), and how badly displaced it is. I'm not sure about these little guys, but I know you have to be careful putting a cast on a dog or cat - sometimes muscles can contract, and even if the bones heal, if the muscles have contracted while in the cast (because they're not being used), the leg still may not be functional. However, I would guess that this wouldn't be as big of a problem if these little guys heal as fast as everyone says they do.
Joan, what happened to the templates for the teeny-weeny e-collar that should fit a flyer? It might be worth a try to keep sutures from being chewed out.
Katie

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:22 am

thank you all so much for replying so quickly. but now with 2 different opinions on it im gonna have to decide on which to choose.My mom said that it was going to be my decision on what we were going to do about her leg and to sleep on it. Would it be a bad thing if he put a cast type thing on her leg to keep it straight so it will heal better instead of putting an pin in it or just leaving it to heal on its own? oh and it is her right back leg and it is the upper bone i believe (not sure what it is called though). She is in a 10 gallon aquarium to keep her from bouncing around so much and to make it easier to check on her without bothering her. Thank you so so much again. ~Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:06 am

I'm with the 'avoid surgery if at all possible' vote. Only a compound break would even get me to a vet, with a flyer -- and at that, the vet would have to have considerable experience with rodent companion animals. I sure hope Kiwi will recover well and quickly! All good thoughts and wishes going her way!
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:15 am

SuzieQ broke her front leg last year - and has recovered completely with no surgery and no cast. I confined her to a small cage that she couldn't go crazy in, and made sure that her food was in small enough pieces to handle with one hand. She didn't use the broken arm until it was comfortable for her. She ate a tremendous about of the calcium block during the healing period. I think I kept her isolated for 3 weeks.... and the last week probably wasn't even necessary.

Cathy

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:17 am

Ok I think that im just going to have him put a splint on her leg, just to make sure it heals straight and so if she chews it off then it wont be that big of a deal. Thank you all so much for convincing me not to put her though surgery. ~Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:20 am

We didn't even put a splint on Suzie. My vet felt that it would cause her more aggravation, and she would pull on the broken leg trying to remove the splint. Of course, SuzieQ is not the tamest squirrel on the planet... maybe he just didn't want to get bitten any more. LOL.

Cathy

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:00 am

Hi there everyone! First of all - I'm so sorry this happened! :(

Here are my thoughts on what to do....
If the leg must have surgery and be set, then I would say okay and plan on MINIMUM of 48 hours AROUND THE CLOCK watching her. And by that I'm talking sitting in a chair with her in your shirt or lap - 100% watching her. The chnaces are almost 100% that she will try and remove her dressing,sutures and anything else added to her leg that is not there today. I would plan that she will kill herself to get the stuff off of her. The only way to be 100% sure that she will heal is round the clock watching her. The only way you could do this yourself is to employ family and friends and set up a schedule. I would not rely on an e-collar unless I had been convinced that it will work and I can imagine the collar alone will grieve her beyond all get out & she may not let herself rest w/a collar on.

DO NOT leave her at the vet! Vet's do not watch surgery patients every minute. And almost 100% leave their overnight patients in a cage and go home. Whcih I understand, they have to get some sleep too but many people assume that by leaving a pet overnight, they are being tended to round the clock. Some do come back a few times thru the night to check on/ treat really critical animals, but only twice in 7 years have I experienced a vet spend the night at the hospital and then he slept on his couch here and there thru the night, again understandable but we have a super small rodent here that can chew an artery in a few minutes.

This option will be really tough, but all us mothers out there know it's not impossible - we've all had babies keep us up round the clock for days when our babies were sick & we lived.

If there was anyway to avoid the surgery, I would suggest you do it even though I normally lean more to a "lets fix the problem and move on" attitude.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie
Mom to Orphaned Fliers Everywhere

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:40 am

I tent to agreee with Cathy's vet, that any sort of splint, etc, is likely to cause a flyer to pull at the injured leg. I go with the 'less is more' school of thought, where flyers are concerned. Left to their own devices, they usually heal well, and given some TLC can work wonders. By TLC I mean a great deal more than the 'usual' attention, and perhaps preventing the normal squirrel activities for a week or two (no climbing, no gliding, etc.). For the most part, an injured critter will happily just rest in its quarters, if given the option of not having to travel too far for food and water.

Again, all good wishes going Kiwi's way ...
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from

Beverly and the Denizens of

The Den Drey at Phantom Farm

What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:49 pm

My concern about a splint is her attempts to chew it OR the leg off. They will do that. Tom has a pup that had a REALLY badly broken hind leg that she drug behind her. He thought she'd be that way forever. Today, you wouldn't know it had been injured. He didn't even splint it.

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:08 pm

i wish i had read your posts earlier...i did take her to the vet to have a splint put on her, i am hoping i can watch her well enough to make her not chew it off. i am going to pick her up from the vet some time this afternoon so i will know how shes gonna handle it then.durn it i hate it when i choose the wrong thing.
Kayla

Owned by:

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:58 pm

Don't worry - what's done is done. I wouldn't take my eyes off of her though - not even thru the night (sorry to say). Can you manage this? If it were me, I'd talk to the vet and possibly have the vet take it back off before bringing her home if you can't watch her round the clock. It's a thought.....
Laurie

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:41 pm

i think i can since its a weekend and i dont have school till monday. im thinking coffee is going to be my BEST friend lol.
Kayla

Owned by:

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:25 pm

You could spend some time here too! I think there are several members on line thru-out the night!
Laurie

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:04 pm

:D ......... my mom just picked kiwi up from the vet and i am anciously awaiting her arrival.
Kayla

Owned by:

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:36 pm

Please keep posting tonight!
Laurie

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:10 pm

So how is she?
Several of us can make a point to bechecking in later tonight if need be.
Just let us know...
Internet Hearts anyone?
:)
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:17 pm

ok she is good but she is just HATING the splint. i am trying to get her to stop chewing at it but then she bites me :( . i'll keep trying but i think im probally going to end up falling asleep because im already tired and i was up late with her last night. but if it does come off im just going to take yalls advise and let it heal by itself.
Kayla

Owned by:

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:45 pm

What is the splint made of? Do you think you can get it off of her? If it is taped to her fur then it will be harder.....

I know that I have used some foul tasting stuff to stop chewing ... but spraying the splint may just make her more angry about it.

Keep us posted... I know I am very interested in seeing you and Kiwi get thru this. When Suzie broke her leg, I was just desperate to do something to help her. But she really didn't need my help... she went in her box and slept and ate and healed.

Cathy

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:54 pm

it is tape. im not sure if its on her fur(underneath) or if there is gause between the tape and her fur. but on her back she has tape that is on her fur there.
Kayla

Owned by:

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:30 pm

Does anyone think it's possible that she will chew into herself getting that off? Second question: Once she gets it off, does anyone think she will continue on the hurt leg or did I just get a little too far off the deep end?
Laurie

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Laurie wrote:Does anyone think it's possible that she will chew into herself getting that off?
I would think it is possible that she might chew herself trying to get it off....it is not "normal" for it to be there and she might want it off regardless.
Second question: Once she gets it off, does anyone think she will continue on the hurt leg or did I just get a little too far off the deep end?
I don't think she will chew herself once she gets it off but I would worry that she might hurt herself more getting it off.

My Prairie Dog had surgery and chewed the sutures out causing her would to open up.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:02 pm

Has Kiwi settled down any yet? Is your vet available at night or on Saturday if you need to call him to remove the splint? They make adhesive remover, both medical and for hair extensions, maybe one of those would help you get the tape off her hair. Can you get a small pair of scissors under the tape to cut it away from the gauze? There nearly has to be a layer of gauze under the tape - after all, he knew it had to come off eventually, and that he would be the one that had to take it off! Or maybe 'Goo Gone' would work if you got desperate. Maybe vegetable oil? I just don't know. I hope she accepts it and you don't need to do anything. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both - keep us posted.

Judy

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:12 am

I was anxiously looking for a "thru the middle of the night" post. Did anyone speak to her & does anyone have a morning update?
Laurie

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:08 pm

i couldnt manage to stay up all last night and so i started to slowly help her get if off of her. i got about 3 layers of tape off and discovered a plastic thing her used to keep her leg straight. i cut that off of her and i think there is just one more layer of tape but i am very afraid her taped her fur :( she is still trying to chew it off of her to get the rest off but she is getting tired of chewing and chewing and getting no where. I cant take her back to the vet because my mom doesnt understand why the splint should come off and she doesnt think it will heal with out it. so i have to get it off with out it looking like i did it and it was all kiwi... i will post updates later. thank you again, kayla
Kayla

Owned by:

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:11 pm

What a mess - you poor thing! Let us know how you manage tonight.
Laurie

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:17 pm

she is doing better now that her splint is much smaller. she is starting to accept the fact that she cant get it off... but for the most part nothing is happening with it. just waiting to see what will happen next. ill try to keep posting updates. Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:

BreezieGirl
Flying Furball

Postby BreezieGirl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:43 am

Glad to hear she's recovering OK! I'll be praying for you guys.
~Kaylie

Owned by Jasper

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Little Mima :smt049

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:17 pm

ok, kiwi pulled the rest of her splint off today...her leg is VERY swolen and VERY bruised...is it supposed to be this way?? i am worried cause in getting the splint she but her self and has a little scab aloong with the swolenness and bruises
Kayla

Owned by:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:11 am

She if she will drink pure pineapple juice or eat some chunks. Pineapple has an enzyme that helps disolve bruises. Put some neosporin or other antibiotic ointment on the bite/scab. Swelling should go down ... she probably won't use the leg until it is stronger. Keep her confined to a small area.
Last edited by Joan on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:13 pm

pineapple? i will definanetly get some pineapple. thanks so much, Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”