swollen eye

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

swollen eye

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Rogues Left eye is horribly swollen.
No other cuts or scrapes or any thing, but her left eye is milky and very large.
its 10:40 am and shes not real intrested in settling down either. wants to be up playing.
Im down for the week at my parents house and there are cats in the house, but there is no sign she has been near them.
she was kinda rubbing that side of her head last night but I didnt see anything before i went to bed.
I have a vet appt at 2 pm, its the earlest, but is there any thing i can do in the mean time, or is this somthing i should call another vet and get in there sooner?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Wash out the eye using artificial tears or norman saline solution ... both available at any drug store. Paul's vet ordered Vetropolycin for his furball's eye infection.
Put her in a smaller cage so she can't injury it further. Then see what the vet says and let us know.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 pm

I know it will be hard but try ice to stop the swelling/inflammation. When I had hammies, one of them had her eye swollen shut and that was all the doctor over the phone said to do until I brought her in.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:03 am

I took her to the vet this afternoon, Ive got her on eye drops and oral anti biotics.
they did an eye exam. Looks like her eye was peirced, Im assuming by one of the cats as there are few other things that would randomly peirce and eye.
My sister jumped off the diving bord yesterday and broke her neck and has major bleeding of the brain, so things have been a little hecktic at home.
I guess my brain just isn't aleart enough right now to keep my baby from harm, so Tala has her for a little bit I deal with stuff at home.
Its safer over there and she has room to just chill and hangout w/o worry of cats, also she has mica ^_^

so yeah, shes doin well, got the antibiotics and even did very well in the vets office. didn't even bit or nip me but oh boy did she want to.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:12 am

[quote="Nativeprincess"]I took her to the vet this afternoon, Ive got her on eye drops and oral antibiotics.
Glad to hear she's getting treatment.

they did an eye exam. Looks like her eye was peirced, Im assuming by one of the cats as there are few other things that would randomly peirce and eye.
There could be something in the cage she ran into. Anyway, antibiotics should help if it was a cat.

My sister jumped off the diving bord yesterday and broke her neck and has major bleeding of the brain, so things have been a little hecktic at home.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers going out for the whole family.

I guess my brain just isn't aleart enough right now to keep my baby from harm, so Tala has her for a little bit I deal with stuff at home.
Its safer over there and she has room to just chill and hangout w/o worry of cats, also she has mica ^_^
That's great that Tala could take her. I'm sure you need a break with all that is going on at home. I'm certain Tala will take good care of her for you.

so yeah, shes doin well, got the antibiotics and even did very well in the vets office. didn't even bit or nip me but oh boy did she want to.
She knew you were trying to help.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Pam
NFSA Member

Postby Pam » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:15 am

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Sending hugs and prayers to you and your sister, God Bless you both.....Pam
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:21 am

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Prayers for her complete recovery.

I am so glad you got to take Rogues to the vet. That sounds serious and now she will be fine.

Mary

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm

Wow-what a rough time for you guys. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:52 pm

thank you all for your prayers...it looks like we need them.
I wish I had good news about my sister but its and up and down sorta thing. they have taken a peics of her skull off as controling the pressure was just becomming impossible, this way the brain can swell to its own desier and not put undue presssure on itself.
Rogue as well is doing better. shes tired and sleeps a lot.
Tala has been such a life saver taking care of her while I've been back and forth to the hospital.
she likes the oral madicine but HATES the eye drops. its only been a day so its hard to tell just how much better shes getting but the fact thats shes sleping and resting that eye is probably a very good thing. she realy just wants to be left alone, and at this point well if thas what she needs then thats what she gets (other than medicine time ^_^)

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm really sorry about your sister. It's really terrible thing to have to go through. I know how you feel about the heckticness, I went through something similar.

But on the upside Rogue seems to be doing just fine. I'm praying for you!
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Cathy C.
NFSA Member

Postby Cathy C. » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:24 am

Oh Lord, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's accident. My prayers are with you and her and your family. Thank you for sharing with us so we can hold you in our hearts.

*hugs*
Cathy C & Princess P.

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 am

I'm sssooooo sorry to hear of your troubles. I just read the postings. Gosh you really do have your hands full. Prayers are with you and your family and I just know Rogue will be just fine in a few days.
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:45 am

Prayers are going out to your family and you for your sister. Please keep us posted on how she is doing. How old is she?
With all that your a good squammy for posting about your baby. I hope Rogue will get well soon too.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:46 am

Nativeprincess wrote:... got her on eye drops and oral antibiotics.

What kind of each did he order for this puncture wound?

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:44 pm

.07 cc Baytril 2x a day oraly

and 1 drop Tobramycin 2x daily in the eye.

let me tell ya....eye drops for a flyer......not fun, just not enough hands ^_^

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:04 pm

I bet ... and not fast enough either. :twisted:

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:07 pm

(I'm so late)

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby and your sister. Is Rogue better now? And I hope your sister recovers soon!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:49 pm

Yeah rogue is doing great, shes off the antibiotics now, was on them for about 20 days, and shes great now.
didnt lose the eye, just has some scar tissue, but not enough to realy impeed her vision.
shes back to tearing the place up. I can't wait untill I finish her new travel cage. shes soooooooooo bord in the one she has now.

Stephi, my sister, is having ups and downs. she was born with downsyndrom and that actualy seems to be a saving grace in this case, as they tend to recover from this sort of thing better than normal kids. shes off and on the ventalator and there talking about doing a tracheotomy for the breathing.
she wakes up...sometimes...sorta. we cant tell if shes actualy there all the time or just has her eyes open. but tere are a lot of things she does that gives us hope.
shes 14 yrs old, and about as stubborn as they make em ^_^
If anyone could beat the odds its this girl.

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Wow, she's a tough cookie isnt she? I'll keep her in my prayers and hope for the best!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:05 pm

I'm glad everyone is better! It's great to hear that everything is well. I send hugs and prayers!
Owned by

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:23 am

I worked with Down's Syndrome students when I was teaching. They are so full of heart, and have the most positive attitude of any one on this earth! I learned a lot from them, especially the power of love and finding joy in anything.

My best wishes and prayers are still with Stephi. Give her a hug from the teacher!

peep
State and Federal permit holder

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:56 am

Yeah I have never seen a child smile as much as she.
One of my summer jobs is teaching at this summer school program, and I usualy have 1-2 kids w/ downs in my class....as a generaly rule they are just sooooooo happy, Just all the time. The 1st to hug or show effection etc.
they truly can be such blessings

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”