Very Worried

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

thetreedoc
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Very Worried

Postby thetreedoc » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Our little girl Isabelle has stayed in one spot for about three days now. She eats fine when we bring her food and water. But, she is clearly limping and holding her front paw close to her. We are very worried that she may have somehow broken it. Does anyone know how long it will take it to heal? We read somewhere that it will heal on its own. Someone please help. She is like our child.
It is funny how such a tiny creature with dark and loving little eyes can make your heart melt. Beaker & Izzy are our world. "We love you and miss you Butters "Boo Boo". May there be plenty of nuts in heaven."

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Very Worried

Postby Chippy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm not on the emergency team. Hopefully someone will get with you soon and ask you some questions, etc. My Chipper broke something in his paw shortly after he started gliding from our curtains. He flew straight into my eye and gave me a good shinner. It took about a 3-4 weeks and it was as good as new. You would never know anything was wrong. But, like you, I was very worried because it became red and swollen. The fact that she is eating and drinking is a good sign. Hopefully one of the emergency team will help you very soon. Best wishes!
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:52 pm

A broken paw is nothing to a flyer. She will not use it until it's ready and it will heal on it's own. Make sure she is getting calcium ... yogurt is good and also protein.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:09 pm

I agree with Joan - your baby knows exactly how much to move around with her hurt leg. She'll rest as long as she needs to, and when she's ready, she'll be up and around just like before! Calcium will help her heal, and my flyers will go for the yogurt before they grab the pecans sometimes. You can even try adding some Esbilac powder in the yogurt if you want to - it has all sorts of good things in it. (That's what I feed my nursing momma squirrels.) A chicken leg bone is usually a big hit, as well as a good source of calcium. Leave a little bit of the chicken on it for added protein!

Try not to be like me - a total wreck when something is wrong with one of my babies! Even when I am positive I know what is wrong, and what to do for them, sometimes I just can't rest easy until I take them to the vet! So I make an appointment, take them in, the vet says "what seems to be the problem", and I say "she has this and this and this, and I have been doing this and giving her this for it". And the vet says "That's right - just keep on doing it". And for some reason I always feel better even though it was a wasted trip!!

So just keep an eye on her, do what Joan tells you, and try to relax!

Judy C.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:54 pm

I hope your baby recovers soon, I've also heard that they heal very quickly,these guys no what there doing so just relax your little girl will be okay. :D
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:23 am

Sounds like a possible broken or severely bruised front leg. Her not using it is protective and will allow it to heal faster and better, so dont encourage much movement. She will be moving around fairly well by three weeks although it will take another three weeks for the bone union to become strong...so no jumping for a while. Keep her nutrition high, to include yogurt and other calcuium rich foods. Give a balanced calcium supplement twice weekly.
David

thetreedoc

Postby thetreedoc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:38 pm

Good News! She made a full recovery. She is back to her old self again and seems to be doing fine. Thanks for all the advice.
It is funny how such a tiny creature with dark and loving little eyes can make your heart melt. Beaker & Izzy are our world. "We love you and miss you Butters "Boo Boo". May there be plenty of nuts in heaven."

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Great to hear.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:25 am

That's the best news to hear! Yea! :multi:
Martie.....

Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.

Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”