WORRIED: flyer has stopped eating/playing

This forum is set up for the Flyer EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM to address emergencies. The Team will be notified when emergencies are posted. Contact any Moderator listed below to get the Team Notified.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Zeal
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

WORRIED: flyer has stopped eating/playing

Postby Zeal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:34 pm

We rescued a flyer from the jaws of a cat Friday night. (I was going to keep walking, but then it moved!--knowing it was still alive, I couldnt just walk by...) He looks to be full grown.
He looks, and acted "uninjured." im keeping an eye on his back left foot that i "thought" i saw a puncture in, and on his left "flap"/"p" thingy(cannot rememeber that word right now!)that had to have received something because of the position he was in when in the cats mouth. He has done fabulous until the last night or two--playing, eating, exploring for a way out, even to putting up with me feeding him a glider diet (oranges, apples, pears avacado(he didnt touch)catfood pieces, and a wee bit of yogurt) because i thought he was a glider! (yes, im very new to flyers, forgive me)
Night before last he didnt come out to play/explore for a way out, and ate nothing in his dish(that was the night i offered avacado,pear and orange.) I thought it was because he ate some yogurt the night before(and ate it ALL, and licked the plate), and perhaps it wasnt agreeing with him. After finding out he wa a flyer, i offered a pecan and a few acorns. He ate the pecan and opened one acorn.

He ate extremely little, if at all, last night; i even added two raisins to tempt him. Nada. He was uninterested in playing(mostly just interested in staying away from me/us) and mostly just sat. He would sniff at the things i offered him and shrug them off.
I'm still learning their grooming and hygiene habits, but i think he was maybe "overgrooming" some, too.

My concerns are that something is wrong; -unseen infection, boredom and depression, ptsd showing up, other things.

How conerned should i be? What do i neeed to keep a look out for, as far as symptoms(and what do they indicate)? How would i give him antibiotics, if he needs them?(especially if he's not eating and always runs in the tube whenever I attempt to do more than let him take grated apples off my fingertip(which he was doing the first couple of nights).We were really impressed with his "out-goingingness"(look, im making up words...lol)

Sincerely worried,
Yochannah/Zeal

P.S. He's in a large "critter-trail" cage, btw...and we attach it to a 3' wide x 5' tall x 18" deep cage we made for rehabbing chipmunks and squirrels(that come around ever so often)each night. In his small cage he has the built in nest box, his food and water, a chunk of log to chew on, and a "hanging pocket" i made for him. In his big cage he has tree limbs the size of small trees, a wodent wheel, water bottle and extra water and treat dishes, a canning jar box (case size)insert for "hidey holes" and im finishing a hammock for him today.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: WORRIED: flyer has stopped eating/playing

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Ok if he was bitten by a cat or in a cats mouth you want to start him on an antibiotic I will alert someone who can tell you what you need to start him on. He may not eat really well every night because he's been through allot give him more yogurt and nuts, fruit is great for them so in that aspect they are very much the same as sugar gliders give him water in a dish or bottle.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Thank you so much, flyer_1; I am looking forward to getting the information.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Hear is the information I'm sure your near your computer. Joan recommends using Amoxicillin or Trimeth not Baytrill it doesn't work for flyers. If you can see a vet arrange it right away and if you can't find a rehaber just tell me where you live and i will try to find one near you but this is serious so take action right away if possible.

R.I.P Taz

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi, and welcome to the board! Since your flyer was 'cat-caught', you really do need to get him on antibiotics immediately. Since you are in an 'illegal' state, you may not have a vet you can trust, or that has any experience with flyers. I would suggest that you contact DinNorman, who posted in your 'Introduction' thread. He is in the same state and is a retired vet and can help you out a lot. PM or email him ASAP. You don't have a lot of time to waste with a cat bite - it can be very serious.

Judy C.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby toiveajattelu » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 pm

I just want to add to all of this information that there is such a thing as *too much* fruit. Captive flyers should have raw vegetables every night, and they should eat more vegetables than fruit (although they will always display a preference for fruit, given the sugar content). Eating only fruit can cause all kinds of problems. I know you have your hands full trying to get a course of antibiotics started, but if you end up in a long-term relationship with this flyer you'll need to cut down on the fruit and add veggies.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:17 pm

P.S. Now that I've advocated vegetables, you should also know not to feed flyers onion...a lot of people think it is poisonous for them.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 pm

How is your baby doing now Zeal? Is everything OK?

toiveajattelu wrote:I just want to add to all of this information that there is such a thing as *too much* fruit. Captive flyers should have raw vegetables every night, and they should eat more vegetables than fruit (although they will always display a preference for fruit, given the sugar content). Eating only fruit can cause all kinds of problems. I know you have your hands full trying to get a course of antibiotics started, but if you end up in a long-term relationship with this flyer you'll need to cut down on the fruit and add veggies.

I agree lol That's why I gave reepacheep fruit on a separate day from his veggies.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 pm

I agree to I guess was addressing the bite and was oblivious to the amount of fruit, I agree with both of them do veggies he won't starve himself so if he's not eating the veggies just give him different kids and just be patient with him. Tell us how he does

R.I.P Taz

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:58 am

Thank you all So much for your responses. Forgive me if the rest ofthis doesnt make a whole lot of sense, I'm still very emotional after living through a small crisis last night.

Flyer_1, as soon as i got your message (6 pm something) I contacted two rehabbers i have known off and on for years- trying to find some amoxicyllin(since my calls in to our vet were being "ignored"-apparently.)

I ended up taking him to the closest one(still holding out hope to just pay her for the meds and do the work myself) Well, that didnt work out because when we got back to her house with him(after he was thoroughly freaked out by the bumpy car ride) He "escaped" into her house.
I was explaining how we needed to have "more cover" to get him into the box she was wanting him in (instead of wide open) but, she wasnt listening(and my hands were full with the nesting box he was in)--
anyway, that's neither here nor there. *sighs, regroups....
her dogs immediately started chasing him, and he eventually ran behind the refrigerator.
The rest was more panic invoking mini-nightmare stuff i wont go into.

*good news is... **desperately looking for something good in all this** he was booking it just fine. Even when i was walking through the house with the cage, even when he was in the car. he was moving well. His eyes were clear, his stools were, and always have been, perfectly normal, etc. SO, ...i know that if there is a problem (the rehabber commented(after seeing him move) that he "might just be old"--i didnt know what to think of that) and he does indeed need the antibiotics and gets them, he'll recover just fine.

so...thats the good news.

I'll be calling to see if she caught him, and how he is doing in a little bit (and probably for FOREVER i think...)
I'm even contemplating going back and getting him. I just dont want to keep traumatising the poor little guy...

ok..so, thats last night.

*Toiveajattelu, Flyer_1 and spiritedaway20...Thank you for the diet advice. When i was trying to get him to eat, i offered avacado, sweet potato and pieces of spinich too. I read on the site somewhere that someone stuffed a piece of "cooked" veggie (kale or spinach or something) into a nut. I did that with the spinach,(but didnt cook it). He sniffed at it, but that was about it.
In the morning, the food was scattered everywhere, but still there.(i saw no real evidence that he ate anything.)

I'll remember about the onions --*sighs and wilts some,...well, for our next flyer.
(still thinking about marching back over there and getting my little guy back...)

ok...i'm going to go call and check on him...
thank you everyone...

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 pm

I think it made perfect sense! I'm so glad that you took the time to come here and update us all during this. There are a lot of caring people here who I'm sure relate to this somehow or have helped and it's nice to get updates. I'm very sorry that you have to go through all of this and I'm sure it's very difficult. I'm sorry that he escaped into the house.I feel horrible that you and the squirrel had to go through that on top of everything else going on. It's not easy to have a little life up in the air like that and my heart goes out to you.

Oh, I'm no expert on flyers (many other people, such as Joan and Judy, have far more experience than me), but I'l tell you what I do for very sick or underweight rats who aren't eating. Maybe it will be useful, maybe it won't:

For very sick rats I have given them baby food via syringe and little bowls of it if they were too weak or sick to really chew solids. You could mix baby applesauce with a veggie baby food. In the case when they aren't eating, you want to sweeten it up a bit (hence the fruit baby food), but too much fruit=diarrhea, so mix it with a bit of veggie baby food. I have also mixed some baby cereal in the with applesauce/fruit baby food just to get some nutrients in and for weight gain if they accept the abby food well. Baby cereal was always good for pregnant rats too.

This flyer is lucky to have met such a caring, dedicated and intelligent person. Hang in there :) I hope everything works out somehow!

Cheryl
NFSA Member

Postby Cheryl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Please keep us posted as to how things are working out for the poor little guy. You've been through so much with him already, I think you should get him back. I'm sure getting him back to good health would be very rewarding for you!
Cheryl
Beauregard's slave

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:03 pm

It's very nice of you to take in this injured flyer, thanks also for getting back to us so soon you've been through allot lately with the flyers, but you really do need to find that flyer right away, peanut butter would maybe draw him out of hiding or pecans in the shell and out. Who ever the flyer knows best would be the person that would be likely to get it out of hiding, it's very important at this point he's a ticking time bom. I hope everything works out there for you and for them, keep us posted :D

R.I.P Taz

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:35 pm

guess what!...the vetfinally called back!

lmbo.

better late than never i guess.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:48 pm

*update on Boaz* The rehabber finally answered her phone. She caught him and has him in a big cage on her porch and says he took the amoxycillin- in some syrup- fine, and ate "alittle." She said he looks good and seems stressed, but fine.

I asked her if i could have him back(an hour trip one way for me) and she kept saying "it's illegal, it's illegal, it's illegal" and i said i know that its illegal, but that i would like to finish rehabbing him myself. She rapidly rattled off a shpiel about how if i would let him go she would consider it, then changed her mind saying that she couldnt let me have him anyway, then said he's "just fine with Her" and to call in a couple of days and promptly hung up on me.

I know that the hanging up could be innnocent-- she has a racoon (huge-Miko- about 5 years old she raised from a little bity thing)and an opossum-...so one of the two could have been getting into something...but my emotions are still running kind of high and im wanting my baby back. She KNOWS i can do everything she is doing! she helped teach me!

I'm so frustrated....

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:01 pm

This is not uncommon. Lots of rehabbers will not return animals once in their possession. I don't know about their codes, etc but some of our rehabbers may be able to speak to this.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:29 pm

If she holds a state permit for wildlife rehabilitation, she is bound by the rules and regulations about rehab animals. If she returned the flyer to you, she would be risking loss of her permit. Even here in Texas where it is legal to own a pet flyer, rehabbers are prohibited from retaining or adopting wildlife as pets.

As far as hanging up on you, it does seem rude, but I've had to cut conversations short quite often myself, but at least with an apology. Right now I'm nursing one raccoon with a broken leg, one post surgery raccoon, 2 wild healthy ones in outside cage, 14 flying squirrels, and a pair of georgeous white doves. Every room in the house is full, and the 2 little recovering coonies are into everything!!! Please be patient with her, she has a lot on her plate. Hopefully she will get back with you and make things right.

Thanks for all you did for the little flyer.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Cheryl
NFSA Member

Postby Cheryl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:46 am

You did your best for Boaz. Since he's an adult, he might really be better off being returned to the wild.

Now, you'll just have to decide to be a criminal (like so many of us) and find a domestic baby to adopt! Go ahead and put the word out, get your cage, pouches, nests, toys, food, dishes, etc. ready, then wait...& wait...& wait. Once you get your new baby, just keep it on the down-low...none of us will tell!!! As I've often said, I think it's utterly ridiculous that it's illegal to keep them as pets. It's ok for people to hunt them, poison them, stomp, smash, trap, or do anything else to them...we just can't love & protect them. It's obvious they love living inside, hence, the people with tons of them in attics & cabins. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc. come from wild ancestors. Who's to say it's not TIME for squirrels to become domesticated. Even wild squirrels in parks & back yards tame easily. They bond to their humans and make perfect pets, unlike most other wild animals.
Cheryl
Beauregard's slave

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:02 am

Peep,

Thank you for your very kind and patient comments; some of them, however, made me think i had misspoken myself. I know the laws, and she knows I know the laws. I have known this lady off and on for years. (She helped give me some training as a rehabber.)SO, i need to reiterate that i understand that the "hang up" could have been innocent; -one of her guys getting into something, etc. But, that's not the way it felt in context(as i said, my emotions are running a bit high because of him escaping into her house and being chased by her dogs, etc.) She has no other animals in rehab right now; nothing. She just has Miko(racoon) the possum and her doggies.

She's a pretty neat lady, and when i met her, she had boxes and boxes of critters (squirrels, possums, etc.--and a few other older animals from hurricane Katrina)in rehab simultaneously. *shrug...i hope i cleared up any unintentional "villification" i may have caused.

*Cheryl,

Yes, even though i wanted to keep him(badly) I know that I would have returned him to the wild when I was sure he was well. The lady that has him now said that he is in perfect shape (eyes and coat clear and shiney, stools normal, etc etc) and was probably just stressing from being caged. I just have all of the these "if only's..." i am dealing wtih now. "If only i hadnt let my worry get the best of me." "If only I had had the amoxycillin."(i will be fixingthat, TODAY.(buying some today-lol) "If only I had left him at home and met up with her to get the meds instead of bringing him with me." etc. etc.

*meh...even wtih all the good outcomes i have had with rehabbing over the years, i always have "if only's" or "what if's" --If only i had known about THIS when i had Bub!-it would have been better for him" "What if I had seen this(condition/attitude/behavior, etc) earlier!- it would have been better for them" etc.

so, maybe i should apologize for my emotional venting.--*sorry.

ok..
SO, the lady is a good egg, im missing my baby, and i have a very interesting prospect in the wings that i will have to tell y'all about later(im kind of nervous about it. going to try and see how it pans out, first...)

thank you so much for all your help!! So nice to have a place like this.-such great people!

I'll keep you updated on Boaz. i get to call tomorrow! YEAH!

Cheryl
NFSA Member

Postby Cheryl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:35 am

I think anyone who puts the time and care into rehabbing critters is a "good" person. These little guys really have a way of bringing our emotions to the surface, I know my emotions have been hanging out all over the place!

It's natural to second guess the things we do when things don't work out as we'd like them too. We learn from each experience and next time we'll "know better" and be prepared.
Cheryl
Beauregard's slave

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:59 pm

You know it's not as bad as it seems you would have rehabbed the flyer and would have gotten attached to him, besides it's really about what's best for the flyer, ether one of you would do a good job but ether way he's still in good hands, you did the best thing for him and that takes a sacrafise your own feeling for that of the flyer.

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Emergency Help Needed”