Help, please

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Mirtis
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Help, please

Postby Mirtis » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:48 am

I got three flying squirrels a few days ago but not the normal way I suppose. They were in a tree that was being cut down and my family took them in and put them in the only cage we had and made it as comfortable as possible for them. When they woke up later we realized that the bars for their cage was too small and they escaped immediately. We have a very bid and old house making them very difficult to find especially with their nocturnal hours. We added smaller fencing around the cage and now they won't be able to get out but the problem is getting them back in when we don't k ow where they are. I just need some advice because they do sometimes return to their cage but they aren't babies but they also aren't adults which means bonding will also take a while.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Help, please

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Mirtis wrote:I got three flying squirrels a few days ago but not the normal way I suppose. They were in a tree that was being cut down and my family took them in and put them in the only cage we had and made it as comfortable as possible for them. When they woke up later we realized that the bars for their cage was too small and they escaped immediately. We have a very bid and old house making them very difficult to find especially with their nocturnal hours. We added smaller fencing around the cage and now they won't be able to get out but the problem is getting them back in when we don't k ow where they are. I just need some advice because they do sometimes return to their cage but they aren't babies but they also aren't adults which means bonding will also take a while.

Keep food. water and nest-boxes in the cage. If they are going back in to eat they may take up residence in the boxes in the day time and you can lock the cage door again. If only one does this you will need to keep the cage door open until they all decide to make it home.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mirtis

Postby Mirtis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:03 pm

I tired waiting up all night to make sure the squirrels would return and only one does. I'm able to keep the one in the cage duri g the day but the other two haven't made an appearance to my knowledge in the past two days and I'm woried that they don't have enough food or water where ever they are hiding.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Is there a way to keep the one in a smaller cage so you can leave the big cage open at night with food and water in it?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mirtis

Postby Mirtis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:54 am

The squirrel is unwilling to enter into a smaller cage and during the past night I left out food and water regardless hoping I could find a sign of them at least returning to the area but so far nothing has happened. With this I was wondering if it is possible to bond or at least familiarize myself with the squirrel without him leaving the cage? The original cage is to big to move around to an appropriate place to bond and unwilling to enter a smaller cage to take with.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Mirtis wrote:The squirrel is unwilling to enter into a smaller

Are you saying you are unable to handle this flyer?

[quote="Mirtis"]...I was wondering if it is possible to bond or at least familiarize myself with the squirrel without him leaving the cage?
You are talking about the one that returned?
How old are these flyers and where did you get them?
I never recommend getting over one flyer to bond with for at least a year before getting another as flyers will bond to each other before they will a human.
There is a whole forum full of info on bonding: viewforum.php?f=16

Return to “General”