Please help!

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Peep1994
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Please help!

Postby Peep1994 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Hello everyone! I’m new and my little baby peep is the concern :/ so peep is my roughly 2 year old flyer that I’ve raised from a young pup. He is a rescue that I treated for MBD and he’s done amazingly so far from time of weining til now. It is now his second mating season and of course he is humping everything, but this time around for just the last 2 or 3 days, he’s been very moody from cuddly to more aggressive which he has never done! He’s always been the sweetest baby. I just want to know if that is normal for them to get a little moody as they grow older or if something could be wrong? I’m sorry if this is a little touchy, but I will Try to include a picture with my main concern.. it is that he has always had quite large testes, but lately they seem to look a little larger, and halfway between his testes and his genitalia he has two almost equal sized balding spots on either side. Could those just be callouses from them dragging? Or something else that’s worse :c pls help! Any information would be greatly appreciated. Other than that he eats, sleeps, drinks water, and plays fine.. other than when he gets aggressive for no reason.. thank you for your time!! Sincerely Conner and peep
Attachments
9B0502C5-024F-476D-A453-7E03633E7D75.jpeg
Is this normal?
9B0502C5-024F-476D-A453-7E03633E7D75.jpeg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 842 times

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: Please help!

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Peep1994 wrote:Hello everyone! I’m new and my little baby peep is the concern :/ so peep is my roughly 2 year old flyer that I’ve raised from a young pup. He is a rescue that I treated for MBD and he’s done amazingly so far from time of weining til now. It is now his second mating season and of course he is humping everything, but this time around for just the last 2 or 3 days, he’s been very moody from cuddly to more aggressive which he has never done! He’s always been the sweetest baby.
I just want to know if that is normal for them to get a little moody as they grow older or if something could be wrong?

That hormonal aggressiveness can come on unexpectedly. When it happened to my Chuck I had to put him a really tiny time out cage 1 ' X 6" and walk away leaving him alone for 5 minutes. I'd let him out after 5 minutes and if the behavior continued ... biting me, back in he went for another 5 minutes alone.

Peep1994 wrote:I’m sorry if this is a little touchy, but I will Try to include a picture with my main concern.. it is that he has always had quite large testes, but lately they seem to look a little larger, and halfway between his testes and his genitalia he has two almost equal sized balding spots on either side. Could those just be callouses from them dragging?

Those pictures are always helpful. I think he may be rubbing his scrotum and his tail ... maybe going in and out of a nest box. The tail almost looks like a molt, but with the scrotum, it's a bet both are from dragging over something.

Peep1994 wrote:...... Other than that he eats, sleeps, drinks water, and plays fine.. other than when he gets aggressive for no reason.. thank you for your time!! Sincerely Conner and peep

Those are the best signs he is hale and hearty ... nothing to worry about. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Peep1994
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Please help!

Postby Peep1994 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Oh my gosh, thank you so so much!! You have absolutely made me feel so much better about this, I was so worried about him. He’s like my tiny partner in life haha and it just so happens that today, he all of the sudden is back to being sweet peep again and wanting to crawl in my hoodie to cuddle behind my neck or in my front pocket. No biting! :) thank you so much again

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: Please help!

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:33 pm

LOL He must have sensed the same cage cell idea! :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Peep1994
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Please help!

Postby Peep1994 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Thank you again for helping, I really really appreciate it! One more thing, and if I should be doing it another way pls by all means let me know. So I’m home almost 100 percent of the time, so I never really put him in his cage, I just leave the door tied open with a small snipet of shoe string, so peep is usually cuddled up under the covers with me when we are sleeping. Is this an issue at all? Should he be put in his cage every now and then so that he has his OWN. Space that only he can go in? Just thinking maybe he is moody because of the mating season and hormones, or if he maybe thinks I am intruding in his personal space. As most of the time he goes on his anger attacks, it is when I approach his cage. He first jumps/flys to my shoulder, then makes his way down sniffing and when I go to put my hand down to him to allow him to climb on, that is when he attacks and if I pull away he’d sometimes run all the way up to my neck barking at me and scratching :/ spoke to soon, I did lol thanks again!

Peep1994
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Please help!

Postby Peep1994 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Sorry, to add to that, his cage is in my room so he is only free to roam his cage or my room itself which is simple and squirrel proof. Sometimes I think maybe the whole room is really his cage and I just happen to have a bed in here hahah So he normally plays around in his open cage and plays around gliding from the top of it, over to the bed, then back again. It’s so cute

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: Please help!

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:12 pm

Peep1994 wrote:...I just leave the door tied open with a small snipet of shoe string, so peep is usually cuddled up under the covers with me when we are sleeping. Is this an issue at all?

Not if it works for both of you. :D

Peep1994 wrote:... Should he be put in his cage every now and then so that he has his OWN. Space that only he can go in?

Believe me, if he wanted his own space he'd get it. I reckon you are occupying his space.... which is wherever he is. LOL :twisted:

Peep1994 wrote:...Just thinking maybe he is moody because of the mating season and hormones,

Definitely! :evilbat:

Peep1994 wrote:... or if he maybe thinks I am intruding in his personal space.

Well, he does own the whole house, you know. Have you figured out yet that YOU are his pet and he thinks you are slow at getting things sometimes?

Peep1994 wrote:... As most of the time he goes on his anger attacks, it is when I approach his cage.

Females tend to be much more territorial than males.

Peep1994 wrote:... He first jumps/flys to my shoulder, then makes his way down sniffing and when I go to put my hand down to him to allow him to climb on, that is when he attacks and if I pull away he’d sometimes run all the way up to my neck barking at me and scratching :/ spoke too soon, I did lol thanks again!


Have you changed soaps, are you wearing cologne? They can be sensitive to smells. Now the scratching is interesting! Is there anything on your neck in the way of a wound or scab of some kind? Joe had a flyer that found skin cancers and scratched at it. The dermatologist only had to look where the flyer scratched to find what he needed to remove. This flyer also warned Joe of an impending seizure by gripping his chest tightly. Marvelous little creature.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Peep1994
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Please help!

Postby Peep1994 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:36 am

Once again thank you! You don’t know how appreciative I am for you taking the time to dissect my message into parts and answer them appropriately, you have seriously eased my mind on most matters! So thank you!! :D LAST one I promise haha does your chuck ever do anything like this; every now and then peep will snort or “sneeze” kind of, but fast and in a row of like 5 then start to rub his face briefly with his paws. Then lately he’s starting doing something he never did before and he’s started to do this nudging thing where he wants to press under my arm leg or hand kind of bumping his head up against me as he’s trying to nudge his way under, is this normal behavior? Has your chuck or any other babies every done this? I again just want to make sure I’m covering all the bases of concern here and wanted to be sure that he’s okay and not doing that out of discomfort. Such as pressing like that because he has some sort of pain in his head or something else wrong around his head/face area. But physically he looks just perfect as always :) also I have not changed body wash or anything and try not to wear any colognes or strong scents that would or could irritate his senses. BUT, I did recently have my buddy Jordan come down to visit about 5 days ago and he left his hoodie that I’ve been wearing. There’s no cologne on it but it does smell like Jordan and not me lol thanks again!! Peep sends his love!

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: Please help!

Postby Joan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm

8-[
Peep1994 wrote:... every now and then peep will snort or “sneeze” kind of, but fast and in a row of like 5 then start to rub his face briefly with his paws.

They can sneeze at times ... nothing to worry about as long as he's eating, drinking and active. :D

Peep1994 wrote:... Then lately he’s starting doing something he never did before and he’s started to do this nudging thing where he wants to press under my arm leg or hand kind of bumping his head up against me as he’s trying to nudge his way under, is this normal behavior?

LOL How long did it take to get what he wanted? :twisted: Sometimes they think we are SOOOOOOOOOOO slow to get things.

Peep1994 wrote:... Has your chuck or any other babies ever done this?

Yes, Check would do this. We also played hide and seek, but I was too slow for him and he'd get tired of waiting on slow me and pop out and show himself

Peep1994 wrote:... I again just want to make sure I’m covering all the bases of concern here and wanted to be sure that he’s okay and not doing that out of discomfort. Such as pressing like that because he has some sort of pain in his head or something else wrong around his head/face area.


It's call a head butt i.e. "Let me get where I want dunny!"

Peep1994 wrote:... Peep sends his love!

Love back to Peep and tell him to be patient with you as humans are lots slower on the uptake than flyers. :twisted:

BTW, have you seen the war dance yet? They do that when really pissed :bad-words: ... stomp their feet like a 2-year-old. Best not to laugh as that really hacks them off. LOL

I still miss my Chuck and sometimes dream of him. He crossed over the Rainbow Bridge several years ago after 15 years with me. He fathered 32 pups who went all over the US to good homes. I'm sure his genes are still out there in decendents
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Peep1994
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Please help!

Postby Peep1994 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:29 am

Oh I didn’t know, I’m sorry for your loss :( but he’s at peace over the rainbow bridge and finally with his other siblings! I know I will always remember and dream about peep whenever he passes, he’s literally like my son. Losing him would feel just like that. But thank you again! So so much!


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests