The suspense is killing me!

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Cathy
Flying Furball

The suspense is killing me!

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:18 am

Does SuzieQ have babies or doesn't she? I don't know! She threw Oakley out weeks ago, and became very defensive of her overalls/nest exactly when she should have based on Joan's calculations for gestation. She's eating the waxworms (and everything else) with a passion.

But is is just killing me to not be able to see them! I wish I hadn't given her the overalls because I can't sneak them out of the cage for a peek. I bought a new nest box, hoping she would move them so I could see, but that didn't work. She just stuffed all the cotton and tissue paper in the overalls - they are now bulging with stuff.

I'm not going to stick my hand blind into those overalls either. I suspect that SuzieQ would make Leah's Ivy look tame, and I need my hand. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and look at pictures of other people's cute babies!

Cathy
Owned by SuzieQ, Oakley ... and who knows who else .....

Leah
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Leah » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:42 pm

Okay, Cathy - here's my Trick-The-Squirrel method used successfully on Poison Ivy: Put some choice food item in the cage away from the overalls. Then sit back and bide your time. When Suzie comes out to partake of the goodies, reach in there and grab those overalls out - shut the door quickly - and Voila! You can check all you want, keeping all 10 digits!

I've been dying to know what's happening - yours would be my first babies from a baby of a baby I raised in my shirt! Did that make sense?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:47 pm

[quote="Leah"] ... When Suzie comes out to partake of the goodies, reach in there and grab those overalls out - shut the door quickly - and Voila! You can check all you want, keeping all 10 digits!

Yes, but how do you get 'em back in and keep your fingers? :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:51 pm

Well, with Ivy, she was only interested in diving back in with the babies, so she never went for my digits at that point. Not that I was afraid or anything, but I DID take to wearing my sister's old whiplash collar whenever I'd open the cage door.....gotta protect that jugular, you know.

8-[

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:07 pm

I guess the hold up is that the overalls are attached to the cage with zip ties - those plastic quick connects. I need to cut them to get the overalls loose. But I've been checking, and the pants have beltloops, so if I rig up some hooks to put it back real quick.....

Then, the next obstacle would be the depth of the pants - those babies aren't just under a layer of cotton. Suzie has been packing cotton and tissue paper in there pretty tight. I sure hope they little guys can breathe!

But I think I'm gonna have to peek soon. I figure they were born Sept 22, so they are almost 3 weeks old. I'm reassured that Ivy only wanted to get back in, rather than take revenge. I'll have to remember about the whiplash collar. It may be a good idea, along with other protective gear, considering how aggresive she is when Oakley tries to run across her cage to get to the favorite curtain. :bad-words:

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:20 pm

Ah, yes - zip ties are great, but not conducive to quick changes! I have everything hanging with various sized "S" hooks in the squirrel condos.

Can't wait to hear!

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:50 pm

Darra wrote:Cathy, you might consider checking you local Army Surplus store for some body armor :)

LOL!! So you HAVE heard about Suzie! I am pretty sure that she is a wild caught squirrel that was sold as tame (NOT!) and since Oakley is the offspring of the infamous Poison Ivy.... gee..... body armor may be a good idea.

Ok... the overalls are now hanging from some homemade hooks, ready for easy access. I think an acorn may distract the little mom for a few minutes. I just need to get the camera and the first aid kit ready! Hubby keeps asking me "Do you think this is a good idea?".

Jme
Teen HOF

Postby Jme » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:12 pm

Oooh, this is like a dramatic soap opera, or one of those old 1940's scary movies! LOL. What should it be called? Hmm... When Squirrels Attack! LOL
Jme

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:02 pm

And the Oscar goes to.... Suzie squirrel!

I risked life and limb to get the overalls out of the cage tonight. But there were no babies in there, much to my suprise. SuzieQ, however, still has a big beef with Oakley, and won't let him anywhere near her, her cage, or her corner of the room, basically.

Hopefully things can get back to normal soon, now that I feel more comfortable in letting them play/squabble together. Maybe they can work out their issues and get back to being buddies. This two cage, two dinner, two water dish, two everything is getting old!

Cathy

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:10 pm

[quote="Cathy"]... This two cage, two dinner, two water dish, two everything is getting old!

Tell me about it! Chuck was put out in Feb ... 2 litters ago. I finally just put him back in the big cage at the end of Sept. She didn't kill him; so I'm happy not tripping over that bachelor pad.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:43 am

Hummmm...Well,eventually something will give...
Keep us informed.
:)
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Return to “General”