Biting

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Biting

Postby krups1110 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:05 pm

My brother and sister haven't really been holding Nieve much for a while because she had decided that she'd pee on them rather than me so every time they'd hold her, she'd go on them. Recently my sister has tried to hold Nieve a few times. She didn't do anything to her and it all seemed normal, but twice what I suspect was just licking that progressed to nibbling became a bite. I guess she clamped on a bit and made her bleed both times. She is starting to get detered from holding her because understandably she doesn't want to be bitten every time she does. I am not sure what if anything is provoking her or exactly what progression is occurring. I have never had any problems with Nieve trying to bite. She licks and nibbles at me sometimes, but I guess I just make sure she doesn't get to biting when she's with me. Any advice?
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:25 am

Know you have already read everything posted :-)
Have you checked how they are holding her?
Make sure they aren't clutching. The more Nieve bites, the more they will tense up.
Amanda and Linda

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:07 pm

Try having them wash their hands. Isobella doesn't seem to know when she's biting or nibbling. So she'd bite me really hard sometimes and I don't think she'd know because she would be so engrossed with eating whatever it is tha she find on my hands.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Chris, if you try everything suggested and it doesn't seem to work, it may be that Nieve has grown into a daddy's girl. I've known of several flyers who would not tolerate anyone, but their HOF touching them.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:13 pm

Linda, it's not like she's even holding her. Nieve was in her sweatshirt running around and I guess just came through her sleeves and to her hadns so there wasn't any clutching. I will be sure to be there and see what happens next time they hold her. I know my sister was a little nervous the first time that she held Nieve after she had been bitten, but everything went fine that time. It wasn't until a little later when she took her out when I wasn't home that she got her second bite.

Helen, I will definately make sure that they've washed their hands next time they try and hold her.

Joan, I hope that that isn't the case, but I guess it is definately a possibility. My brother and sister used to hold her a bit, but they really haven't held her much at all for the past while because of her peeing on them. I guess being accustomed only to me may have caused this, but if they start to hold her more often, I am hoping that she will come out of it.

Thanks for all the advice guys and if anyone else has any more ideas, please let me know!
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:40 pm

Chris, am I understanding correctly that you were not there when they held her this time? If so, more than likely that is the problem. If they had not done this before, taking her out when you are not there, or it had been a good while since they had, she was spooked. Remember, you and her cage are her safety nets. That's why when I have had to be away over night and someone else has came to feed, they never try to remove Pistol from his cage, only talk to him and rub his head. When I am home no one reaches into the cage and takes either Martie or Pistol out, I take them out and place them on the person.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:32 pm

Yea I was about to point out what Glorya did. maybe seh got scared the second time without you being there? Also after reading a whole lot about hamsters I found out that some rodents nip each other as a greeting. Niagra does that all the time. When I first put ym hand in his cage to take him out he nips me and then climbs on board. I'm not sure if this concept holds true for flyers but it might be a possibility. And She might have gotten nipped the secod time and not so much bitten But because she was so frightened that's what she thought.
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Those are both possible. My sister said that the second bite happened when she was trying to put her back. I guess she didn't want to come out of her shirt and gave a her a nip :(
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:45 pm

LOL typical greedy little things...
Owned by

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:36 am

Amanda has been biting Jeff in the last week. It started when she fussed and he gave her a time out and had really escalated. He was getting to the point of not wanting to play with her when last night he showed her a bit of cherry vanilla ice cream on his finger. She did an immediate attitude adjustment, putting her hands out and stretching to his finger, then jumping to his hand to investigate the bowl. Unfortunately her portion was all gone before I could get organized for a picture.
Amanda and Linda

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:20 pm

maybe try letting nieve go to them and just crawling on them. i know that there is the whole issue with you maybe not being able to bring her to school with you, so you should try to get nieve to like them. i hope it works out better with time.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Return to “General”