squammy lost her nerves of steel....

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

squammy lost her nerves of steel....

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:13 am

Ryan and i spent a good half of the night cleaning out and finishing Molly's room. Tonight was her night.

i gathered the camera, computer, and a drink, and made myself comfy after all the cage doors were open.

it took her about ten minutes to figure out that she could get out of her cage, and for a few minutes, had no clue what to do when she was out.

there was much scampering, climbing, tasting, sniffing and the like. she climbed up onto the chair i was sitting on, and i decided to get up to take pictures of her.

.......and thats when she took a flying leap at me. i held it together and stood there while she explored me, then it all got to me. i had a mini panic attack and couldn't move to save my life. she didn't bite, but i was so afraid that she would, so i stood there, shaking helplessly breathing through my fingers (had my face covered just in case) she would jump off me, and i'd go to move, and she'd be right back on me fast as lightning. (all this is going on while hubby is trying to calm me down through the door...he had already been bitten by one of the degus tonight, so he wasn't taking any chances. but i do think he got a kick outta me having a panic attack over a squirrel....a teeny, tiny, squirrel.) i pulled myself together enough to shuffle over to her cage, and when she leapt off to hide a nut inside, i took off.

i really can't explain or justify my fear. i don't know.
ryan said she looked as if she kept coming to me for safety, because it was a big room, and even though she hadn't had any contact with me other than my hands, she knew who i was and felt safe with me. if she was on me for that long of a time and didn't try to bite, do you think she will? or does she really find me to be her safe place?

i guess i'm just used to P.O. because he never really jumped at me and for the most part could care less if i was in his room, as long as i had treats-a-plenty. he was very laid back, molly is very fast and flighty.

how can i get over this? is there anything i should bring in the room with me incase she does go back to aggression mode?

the cage-breaking really wasn't a big deal, and i wasn't scared, but when my whole body could possibly be a target, i start to freak.

sorry for the long post, i'm just embarrassed, dissappointed in myself, and confused. also sorry if i was unclear on anything. any and all suggestions are appreciated.

p.s. i took some pics when she first came out and i have pics of the squirrel room too, they'll be up as soon as i can get to a wal-mart to upload them to a cd (my dog ate the cord that connects the camera to the computer... :roll: )
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

Lora
NFSA Member

Squammy Lost Her Nerves Of Steel

Postby Lora » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 am

LMAO... Thank God... I'm not the only one! I went thru a similar experience our first trip out of the cage. I had squirrel proofed the room thinking he would be exploring higher up.... WRONG. He wanted to crawl all around the floor & under the bed. I was a nervous wreck. He jumped on me when I opened the cage door & like you I was scared to death he was gonna bite. He's never shown any aggression but the fear is there & very real. I think he was as scared as I was cause he was more than happy to go back in his cage, lol. My husband is having a ball teasing me over this too. I think what I fear most is that he'll get somewhere I can't reach him & I won't be able to get him back in the cage. Then I fear that if I do grab him he'll bite me. Last time I just held a pouch out to him & he climbed right in. I'm still trying to work up the nerve to try it again. :oops:

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:19 am

In over a year, Amanda has never bitten anyone as part of a jump or the end result of a jump. She jumps on us all the time. Jeff likes for her to jump and encourages it so the silent ambush is a constant.
She bites to make us leave her alone, i.e. we want to get her up when she is all curled in and sleepy, trying to pick her up when she has retreated to the top of her stash pile in the curtains, or Jeff wants to hold her longer in his hand than she wants to be held.
Have trouble keeping her nails short enough so I do get scratched sometimes but it is when she shirt dives on landing.
Amanda and Linda

ravenqueen
NFSA Member

Postby ravenqueen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:35 am

My husband reacts the same way. He and Puck are on good terms as long as Puck is in his cage. When I take him out, he makes a beeline out of the room. Since Puck was agressive, he just can't bring himself to try again with him. We did it once, but he couldn't handle it. So, Puck is all mine.

I personally would rather have him on me where I can see him than to have him running around the room. It just makes me too nervous that he will get hurt. Plus, he's started to get brave with his gliding, so I'll call his name and 2 seconds later have a squirrel flying at my face. I liked it when he was too chicken to jump and would give me a warning. LOL!

Anyway, don't feel to bad. We all react differently. It will probably just take getting used to. Good luck with her!
Squammy to Puck (SFS)
Mommy to:
Cadbury and Bunita-House Rabbits
Tumnus and Oscuns-Chinchillas
Bijou-"Black Bear" Syrian Hamster
Brisby, Mossflower, Cornflower, Sunflower, Powder, and Dublin-Mice
Four Roborovski Hamsters all named Stevie.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: squammy lost her nerves of steel....

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:24 am

[quote="RaVeRiNaBuBbLe"]... .......and thats when she took a flying leap at me... ryan said she looked as if she kept coming to me for safety, because it was a big room, and even though she hadn't had any contact with me other than my hands, she knew who i was and felt safe with me.

I suspect that's right.

... all this is going on while hubby is trying to calm me down through the door...he had already been bitten by one of the degus tonight, so he wasn't taking any chances.

You Tarzan, he Jane! :twisted:

how can i get over this?

Practice, practice, practice!

is there anything i should bring in the room with me incase she does go back to aggression mode?

Alcohol ..preferable in the form of Jack Daniels. :wink:

sorry for the long post, i'm just embarrassed, dissappointed in myself, and confused. also sorry if i was unclear on anything. any and all suggestions are appreciated.

It'll soon be just one of those things you laugh about ... just not right now. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Re: squammy lost her nerves of steel....

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:45 pm

Joan wrote:
is there anything i should bring in the room with me incase she does go back to aggression mode?

Alcohol ..preferable in the form of Jack Daniels. :wink:

i said i had a drink with me.....didn't specify it was rum :twisted: ....with a little bitta coke :roll: ....lol....

needless to say, that drink was gone in a flash once i got outta that room!!
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:27 pm

My first flyer was the first time I even knew they existed and when he would jump on me I was scared to death. There was no agression until after he turned a year old and then he would bite me every move I made. Now I have two that very seldom bite and are constantly jumping on my face and anywhere else. I never even flinch now. It takes time and patience even though you have had one before, each one is different. Last summer Pistol gave me a real black high. He ran from my aunt and jumped straight into my eye. With Martie, my legs and arms look like I've been paw printed constantly.
You will calm down and so will she. :)
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:55 pm

Michele, you're still my hero for bravely invading Molly's cage. And you still have fingers to type with! :o Barnie (purely Daddy's Girl) will come to me sometimes, and I find myself freezing like a statue so I won't offend her in any way that requires a punitive bite.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:34 pm

I think it's just the fact that you know that she is an aggressive flier that is making you nervous. See with me, i'm OK with Boss flying at me but if Isobella comes at me I still have to take a second to figure out if she would bite. Or even Gucci because even though I know she doesn't bite I know that she can be a lil more aggressive then Boss. Because you know that Molly has bitten and WILL bite if given a chance you look at her with a bit more fear. It will take some time and effort. It's very similar to a wild animal, it's a history kind of thing. Sit in the room more often, I think that if you flinch she can feel it and it makes her more confused and will be more nervous. Be calm and still, she'll learn what scares you. Also She does look at you as the only familiar thing in the room, so she'll come to you for comfort and she looks to you for security.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Oh your going to love what i trained Nugget to do.
He has to jump on me when I go to a door.
Yes,that's right...I do this so i know where he is when I go through a door and don't accidentely close it one him.
If he jumps on his cage door before I open it, I demand he jump on me and wait for me to open the door. he will do this.
I've had Nugget four years and we understand each other pretty well.
I don't take any crap from an animal the size of a bar of soap.
i can't say he's never bit me,but it's not been often.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:32 am

Rogue has this thing with cotton balls. shes super territotrial over them.
I have a pair of pj pants that has white fur around the cuffs, well when ever i wear them rough starts in on the fur and trys to tear it apart for stuffing.
If i even think of putting my hands even close to it she gets very very agressive.
now you wouldnt think a tiny little bit like that could actualy look scary but she does.
what I eventualy did was just bit the bullet and dove in on her.
yes, she'll bite me when shes in "bitch" mode. but realy, on the grand scheme of things.....I've felt worse pain. Its realy prevented me from being to hesitent w/ her. the fear is usualy worse than the bite and by just diving in, scooping her up and depositing her back in her cage, well I got over the fear.
she knows im not intimidated by her little temper tantrums so now all I have to do it giver her a sharp word or so and she stops on her own. if she doesnt its in the cage time and so it keeps her in line fairly well.

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:22 pm

now you wouldnt think a tiny little bit like that could actualy look scary but she does.

You're right. There's a fear factor involved with me. I used to enjoy Barnie jumping to me, and the occasional bites never bothered me. Golly, paper cuts hurt worse than her bites! But since she went into "Squammy is evil--attack Squammy" mode, I started being afraid of her. I don't know why--I mean, it's not like she's going to wrestle me to the floor and gnaw me to death. Dang, I'm never going to earn my big-girl panties at this rate!
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:28 pm

Vickie wrote: ... I used to enjoy Barnie jumping to me, and the occasional bites never bothered me. Golly, paper cuts hurt worse than her bites! But since she went into "Squammy is evil--attack Squammy" mode, I started being afraid of her. I don't know why--I mean, it's not like she's going to wrestle me to the floor and gnaw me to death.

It's OUR instinct to avoid being hurt. I know they can't draw blood like a gator, but when they "attack", they sure look like they mean to kill. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:41 pm

My sweet little Miss Tinkerbelle turned :evilbat: has really pushed my buttons for over a year now. I have come close to sending her to the wild bunch rehab center in Jacksonville. But I just love her to much to do it. Tom does most of the things with her now. But for about 2 weeks she has taken to being at home behind my office door. I lift up the blanket and call to her and out pops that sweet :evilbat: Tink as to say "Yes Mom What you wanting??? I reached up to give her a little love pat and boy she lit into me and as I pulled my hand away she came with it and down on the carpet she went. She was as stunned as I was. She didn't bleed but Boy I SURE DID. Now I have a little pice of food to give to her when I check to see what she is doing. :roll: Guess she is going throught PMS right now. OH MY--- GIRLS!!!!!!
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:07 pm

I think that as long as you remind yourself not to let her scare you you'll be fine. Your the one making yourself scared, to her your jsut another tree/peepost.

BTW how's the progress coming along?
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:43 pm

no progress....ya know how i said i had to round up the loose degus before i could let molly out? well, we did accomplish this the other night when she had her first trip out of the cage.....

my 3 year old decided that they didn't want to be in a cage. so she woke up, went in the animal room, and let them out....all 3 :roll: .... and she got into molly's cage and took all the nuts out....man do i have one pissed off squirrel.

so now we have to play degu round-up again, and this time, hubby ain't helpin me. i need to get my zoo under control.

needless to say, there's now a padlock on that door.
~Michele~

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:26 am

The only time I got scared of Nestle was the day I brought her home. I had never had a personal encounter with the tiny flying furballs and opened her travel box expecting to catch her like a hamster, and she jumped a foot high right in my face! It sounds stupid now (a mere four weeks later), but I had no idea that they could jump like that! I do flinch whenever she's on me because her sharp little nails have torn me to pieces, and have come to accept that I will be nibbled right after showers, but that seems to be it. I really hope that she doesn't change her mind about me!

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:20 am

When i got Nugget from Dennis,he was just being weaned,so i had to bottle feed him.
It was a good while before he could jump.
He's seldom temperamental, but does have his moments.
He's easy to handle and knows his name.
I'm sorry you are having this much trouble with your SFS.
When Nugget gets ill tempered,I get out the dog whistle.
he hates that.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.

www.abcbirds.org

:coffee: Moca

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:48 pm

NestleQuick wrote:The only time I got scared of Nestle was the day I brought her home. I had never had a personal encounter with the tiny flying furballs and opened her travel box expecting to catch her like a hamster, and she jumped a foot high right in my face! It sounds stupid now (a mere four weeks later), but I had no idea that they could jump like that! I do flinch whenever she's on me because her sharp little nails have torn me to pieces, and have come to accept that I will be nibbled right after showers, but that seems to be it. I really hope that she doesn't change her mind about me!

Only a foot...i have seen Isobella attempt to jump from the floor to my shoulder!...she missed the first time and the momentum left me with several scars on the back of my leg. The second time she hit my back and now she knows with a running start she can get my shoulderblade... :roll:
Owned by

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:14 pm

Mine don't even try to jump from the floor up on me, they just dig those claws in and climb up bare skin. Oh well, if they slide down and leave paw prints and bllod while going down, its just my legs or so they think :evilbat:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:33 pm

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe, as mentioned many times above this post, It's very normal to be a little paranoid of things such as this. And in my opinion, them being so small would freak me out a bit more than a mean dog, I believe it makes them a little harder to read. ^.^ So don't sweat it, dear, "Practice Practice Practice" As said in an above comment. Goodluck and I hope to hear more about you and your little fuzzy.

I got my two little fuzzbutts at two weeks of age, or there abouts. They're now 4 or so weeks old, Almost have their eyes open all the way and I just can't see them being "Vicious" :? But, as I've read, I guess they all have their little Moments, eh? I don't suppose there's anything I can do, early in their lives to ensure they don't get a mean streak?

*Laughs* And as far as the claws go, I'm totally used to it, I don't think being scratched really bothers me anymore :wink: Take that as you will, rofl.
Semper Squirrely.

Return to “General”