convincing my parents

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
BeastieBoy829
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

convincing my parents

Postby BeastieBoy829 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:29 pm

How do I convince my parents?
What are some good arguments that will help me convince them that it is alright to get a flying squirrel and that they are awesome friends.

I need some help, my perents are a little reluctant to get me my own flyer. :-k
I love flying squirrels. Woo-Hoo!!! Hopefully a soon to be HOF

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:06 pm

Well...If your parents aren't thrilled to have your baby around do you really think it's a good idea to keep one?

There are many things that make these babies endearing pets, such as their ability to bond and how loving they can be. You can also tell them Joe Spice's story it's here somewhere.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:56 pm

well its kinda of a hard call. as much as its gonna be soooo counter intuitive, Believe it or not I'd def sugest that if your parents are against the idea.....well, not to go for it.
my reasoning is thus. your....how ever old you are....but either way you life is not your own. I know it sounds stupid but you life will change dramaticaly from Highschool to college to byond. even if you dont do college these are gonna be some of your toughtest yrs.
if for any reason you have to part with your flyer for an amt of time. Its nice to know your parents can step in for you. but thell only do that if you have thier suport in the 1st place and they wont give it if they have to be goaded into it
the likely hood your gonna wanna travel or your gonna be living in a situation where u can't brig a pet, or one of the million other reasons you'd have to part in the next 15 yrs.....well its a pretty high chance.
on the plus side, talking this out with your prarents might show them how serious and responsible you are ^_^ and if there for it then your golden

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:12 pm

the most I can say is, do your research. spend a lot of time here on the forum, and you will learn a million things you probably never would have guessed about flyers. their behavior, diet, housing. ...etc. seriosly read everything. this way you will have not only prepared your case to present your parents, but you will have also prepared yourself to be an excellent HOF. thre is a teen HOF section on here as well, where you can chat with the numerous othre teen HOFs, and see how becoming a flyer's pet has affected their lives.

if you truly are willing to make the lifetime commitment, then best of luck to you. be adult about it, prove to them that you know full well what you're getting into, and reassure them that if problems arrive, you have a place to go to find the solution. remember that if your parents aren't whole heartedly for this, that they will probably not take any responsibility for the flyer. this can cut into a lot of your social life, and/or life in general.

also, if you are in an illegal state, you really should make sure ther is a vet who will treat your flyer. if there isn't , I would personally advise against owning one. ( you can find a list of illegal states in the "legalities of owning a flyer" section. I believe there is a list of flyer-friendly vets on here as well I'm just not sure where at the moment).

hope I was able to help.

again, good luck, and please,please HEAVILY weigh all options before making a decision.
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:53 pm

Darra, I think you might be a little hard core on that last part.
I mean I agree that thoes still in school probably arn't ready to make a 15 yr comittment.
but then again there are some who do just fine.
particularly if you have parental support.
So its kinda hard to make a alla round statment ^_^

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:50 am

I understand where your comming from. I mean I agree that *most are not ready for it.
Its just that on this baord so far I have seen more adults....not in school, have to give up thier flyers than I have students.
And well, I guess, Being a student my self ^_^ Im a little more sensitive to such comments, apologies.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:33 pm

To me, it's the emotional maturity of the person, not the chronical age. Adults have sudden job changes and moves and some are less mature than our teens. Most schooling is stable and in one place for the duration, unless the parents have to move. More and more colleges are allowing pets and flyers are sure easy to care for. As long as plans are considered (with parents) when thinking about college and who will care for a flyer, I see no reason a teen can't have a flyer. Our HOF vet, Katie, had to leave her flyer with family for a year when she got additional training in Canada.
No one can be absolutely certain about the future and all one can do is plan as best you can. It is important to think long term with flyers as some have lived 20 years. It's not like having a short lived pet.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Teens are better able to stay up late! ':multi:'

Your track record with pets so far and their opinion of your ability to stick with caring for a flyer are probably the main factors with your parents.
Amanda and Linda

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:13 pm

I tend to agree with Joan. If your emotionally mature then I don't see why you shouldn't own a flyer or any pet for that matter. I mean I know i'm young and naive to the world dada dada BUT I think that owning a pet adds to your own mental growth. To be able to watch Isobella grow to learn to respond to me is probably one of the most amazing things I have ever gone through. True she drives me up a tree sometimes but I love her none-the-less. Besides anyone, adult or child, who would rather give up their flyer's rather then to leave them in harms way is probably making one of the most adult and grown up thing they could do. To be able to see past the bond you two have built and maintained, and to be able to let go of that for the well being of your flyer seems to be a darned mature thing for anyone to do.
Owned by

Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Return to “General”