Tips for Getting Them Back into The Cage

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Yolanda
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Tips for Getting Them Back into The Cage

Postby Yolanda » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:37 pm

Last night, I spent 3 hours trying to get Queen Nefertiti and Hickory back into the cage so I could go to bed. Lukas and Yuki played in and out of the cage for about an hour and I had no problem with them. George didn't venture out-just stayed in her house and occasionally did take a peek and see what her children were up to.

One wall of my genealogy room is brick (converted back porch) so Queen N and Yuki had a good time running back and forth eluding me. They were finally so tired that I was able to scoop them up and put them back.

This was the first time they have ventured more than a foot or so away from the cage.

Leaving them out for the night is not an option as I have many wires that they could chew and books I do not want destroyed.

Any helpful tips to get them back in the cage? I was actually downloading fs calls to maybe get them to run to their mom. :roll:

I was thinking about a butterfly net...
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Tips for Getting Them Back into The Cage

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:14 pm

[quote="Yolanda"].. This was the first time they have ventured more than a foot or so away from the cage.

When they go ... they really go! LOL

Leaving them out for the night is not an option as I have many wires that they could chew and books I do not want destroyed.

I had a pup run into the bathroom and dive in a hole under the sink cabinet. I didn't waste time with him, just left him there and shut off the room and told Mishi it was her problem. She must have called him home during the night as he was snuggled in with her and his sibs in the morning. I had to leave the cage door open all night, but she got him. :twisted:

I was thinking about a butterfly net...

That'd work if he isn't inaccessable.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:05 pm

After reading a post about a tail popping off my husband is scared to death to try and grab one of ours. He gets their pouch from the cage and follows them around with it open hoping that they will go in. Actually, sometimes they do. :multi: :multi:
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:20 pm

There are times that we have taken off our shirts and stuffed it in the cage with a flyer in it. We also turn on all the lights and sit down and wait for them to get into a vase or nest box. That was when they were young but now they are free to stay where ever they want in the day time. They do get caught in their cages when they are in there for water . Talk about getting some bad looks and no telling what they are saying when they find they can't get back out. OH BOY!!! We do know where they are each day. Only one of our flyers has vanished and we still have no idea where he went.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Turn on all the lights, hopefully they will retreat to their nest box. If they laugh at you and say "Nice Try", wait for them to get perched, gently drape an towel or t-shirt over them, they should freeze for a second, and scoop them up, pop them in the cage.

Those tricks no longer work on Peaches, so I have to get out the "dreaded POUFFY FEATHER DUSTER" and chase her back to the cage with it. I just shake it near her and ZING! She's duckin' & runnin'.

She is the only one I force into the cage, when she needs a time-out for being a total brat to the others.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Yolanda
NFSA Member

Postby Yolanda » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 pm

peep wrote:Those tricks no longer work on Peaches, so I have to get out the "dreaded POUFFY FEATHER DUSTER" and chase her back to the cage with it. I just shake it near her and ZING! She's duckin' & runnin'.

I'll have to find my feather duster and give it a try.

They were begging to come out tonight, but I have to be up at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow so I put a couple of new things in their cage instead.
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 pm

I have been known to hang several pouches around with pecan pieces in them, then wait and watch until they go in one. Then it's fairly simple to grab the pouch at the opening and stuff it all in the cage! I also will hang pouches with pecan pieces inside their cage when they are in there, to get them used to the idea that good things come in pouches! I am a sneaky HOF!

Judy

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:55 pm

LOL Isobella just naturally goes back into her pouch if it is offered. Otherwise I throw a towel or a shirt over her and grab her, making a pouch with the shirt/towel to put her back in her cage. The mesh in the butterflynet night be too weak to get to them, they'll rip right through them! Also I'd be worried about getting them entangled in those!
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Lora
NFSA Member

Tips for getting them back into the cage

Postby Lora » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:05 am

Bobo will usually climb into a pouch but I've also had success with an emtpy Quaker oatmeal container. Just toss a pecan in there & he climbs in after it.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:48 am

:twisted: Boy we sure do have a bunch of SNEAKY HOF's among us. :roll:
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Hey Peep,

We have the same name for our babies. How'd that happen.
Clint named our Peaches.

It's a fine name.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:02 pm

Hey Peep,

We have the same name for our babies. How'd that happen.
Clint named our Peaches.

It's a fine name.

I inherited Peaches and Cookie from a lady in TN a few years back. I decided that they were destined to be ours, because i'd had 2 pet lambs named Peaches & Cookie.. Since we have had them, I've discovered that the name "Peaches" translates to "She who is tempermental, bossy, possessive, selfish and will shred any other flyer to pieces who gets on Squammy"

Peaches does not play well with other flyers, but after our WHO'S THE ALFA FEMALE AROUND HERE battle, she is sweet to squammy and will spend hours grooming me and stuffing food in my bra.
peep

peep
State and Federal permit holder

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm

To get mine back in their cages I've used the dreaded feather duster to chase them and I've made a habit of giving them a piece of pecan everytime they go back to their cages. This has worked so well that sometimes Heidi will dash to her cage as soon as she sees me just to get that treat!
Marilyn
Marilyn & David
Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini
In Loving Memory of Burl

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:37 pm

What cage? Why should they be caged? Mine have forgotten what a cage is :twisted:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Cathy C.
NFSA Member

Postby Cathy C. » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:46 am

I feed Pootie at night before I go to work. That's when I get her into her cage. I always bribe her with a hazelnut or walnut. She'll run up and down my arm until she decides that she'd rather have the food than be out running around. And she loves her cage, she's in it most of the time while the door is open. Aren't I a lucky squammy !
Cathy C & Princess P.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:58 am

I just bait the birdhouses and pottery that they like to play in with some favorite treats. Usually works :wink:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Cathy C. wrote:I feed Pootie at night before I go to work. That's when I get her into her cage. I always bribe her with a hazelnut or walnut. She'll run up and down my arm until she decides that she'd rather have the food than be out running around. And she loves her cage, she's in it most of the time while the door is open. Aren't I a lucky squammy !

Right now I'm really jealous and envious (aren't they the same thing ?_?) and really wish I had such a nice squirrely

I agree with Glorya!..What cage? My closet? That's where she hide from me -.-"
Owned by

Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Somehow started rewarding Amanda for going into her cage when she was very little. After we finish playing, she runs in and waits for her treat. If she decides to hide, I turn on the overhead florescent lights. She hates them and runs into the cage so I'll turn them off.
Amanda and Linda

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:54 am

Linda wrote:Somehow started rewarding Amanda for going into her cage when she was very little. After we finish playing, she runs in and waits for her treat. If she decides to hide, I turn on the overhead florescent lights. She hates them and runs into the cage so I'll turn them off.

Nugget is pretty good about going back into his cage cause it's always playtime followed by supper.
Ive also trained him to sit on the door knob when he wants to go home,but he has to sit on it three times so I'm sure he's not just horsin' around.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Return to “General”