Glass doors

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Linda
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Glass doors

Postby Linda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:38 pm

Night before last, Jeff took Amanda into our screened porch to explore. (We had been using it for storage.) They were walking around looking for moths when she spied me looking at them through the glass storm door.
She jumped! And crashed into the glass before I could get the door open.
Last night she was not willing to jump to me. Took some time to convince her that I am her real mommy.
We had been considering letting her have the porch for her own domain in the Fall but now think there may be problems with that idea.
Amanda and Linda

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:57 pm

She'll be back to normal before you know it. Probably a little "shell shocked" right now.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Haha..Isobella learned that lesson to. But she wasn't jumping at me...I guesss there was a tree leaf blowing around that she wanted and she jumped into the window...and yea she was dazed for a while...I say get a screen that covers the glass on both sides...The second tiem she tried we had the screen part of the door in place and she was able to brake and land on the mesh screen unscathed...But you can see as she neared the screen she saw it and made a timely stop so that her lil paws can get at the screen...
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Is it bad to start giggling at the idea of a squirrel ramming into a glass door? :o

In any case, my dog Gypsy when she was a puppy rammed into the glass door. She got overexcited when seeing the next door neighbor's dog Annie (her best canine friend) outside. We put a partial screen on the inside of the door, and it seemed to keep the dog from running into it because she could tell it wasn't 'an open doorway'.

So if you're against having a screen on your door, a partial screen might work as well. It's about waist high, and black in color. I'm not sure if my mother made it or if we bought it somewhere. But it works well.
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Amanda is doing better tonight, but it took lots of treats to get her to do her evening jumps.
Thanks much for the screen idea. I'll try it out before she moves to the porch.
Amanda and Linda

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:29 am

We have our screen porch flyer proofed and last night Tom had the flyers out there playing when he noticed a cat trying to get in. I guess we are going to have to really be careful or start using a bbgun to scare them off. We have a doggy door that has a special cover over it so they can't get out (we use it for the flyers also) but I hope that cat can't get in either. we have glass panels on the bottom of the screens and our reg. screen that is strong for flyers but then on the top we have the strong screen and then the hardware cloth. The door is also locked so I sure hope we are safe from that cat. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be most welcome how to get rid of this cat.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:56 pm

Put cat food in your neighbors yard... :twisted: ...but that's only me because I have some nasty neighbors...
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:13 pm

If the cat is friendly (or if it is not) you can call the local humane society to set up traps for it.

We set up traps for a gigantico orange cat (male) named Garfield (he was a stray). The only problem with this is that the humane society put down Garfield. (I still haven't forgiven myself for turning Garfield in.)

Or ask around to see who's cat this is, it might help if you tell the owner what's going on. (Though I doubt it.)

Anywho, that's my two cents. If the cat is a stray and mean, and is also threatening your pets, I would set up traps.
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.

Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:01 am

From past experiences, there's not much that will deter a "born hunter", If the cat is determined... it will find a way in, even if it has to shred the screen.

peep
State and Federal permit holder

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:16 pm

peep wrote:From past experiences, there's not much that will deter a "born hunter", If the cat is determined... it will find a way in, even if it has to shred the screen.

peep

I do tend to agree with this...The best way to get it to go away is to bring it's attention elsewhere.
Owned by

Return to “General”