can i buy acorns this time of year

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
tammy
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

can i buy acorns this time of year

Postby tammy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:14 am

hi, does anyone know where i can buy acorns this time of year? how can i tell if they are safe to feed my princess? thank you tammy
tammy

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:17 am

I think you can get acorns off of eBay, and your baby will know which acorns are ok to eat. Flyers have a sixth sense about which nuts are safe to eat.

Lora
NFSA Member

Can I Buy Acorns This Time Of Year

Postby Lora » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:41 am

I get mine on Ebay. Just make sure you ask the seller if they're fresh. You don't want anything that's been sitting in someone's garage in a bucket for 6 mos. I've ordered 2x & been very pleased both times. The acorns have kept very well in my freezer.

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Eating acorns causes strong smelling urine. ':('
Amanda loves them but gets one only once in a while.
Amanda and Linda

tammy

Postby tammy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:15 pm

thanks to everyone for the information. i am so new at this mothering, but i have alot of love maybe that will help make up for lack of knowledge. thanks, tammy
tammy

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Acorns will produce a nice pungent odor in the flyer's urine but I think if you give them a seperate cup of slightly diluted cranberry juice, it wont stink as much or at all.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:13 pm

You can also try the squirrel store....I was planning on buying from them but they weren't very informative about the kinds of acorns. Other's have mentioned that their good though so don't just take my word for it.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Wow, I never thought I'd have to buy these things. I thought EVERYBODY just went outside or into the woods and gathered them.
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:21 am

Wow, I never thought I'd have to buy these things. I thought EVERYBODY just went outside or into the woods and gathered them.

Me too! In the fall, we have to go outside with an umbrella, cuz it literally RAINS acorns around here! Really smarts when they ricochet of the metal roof and smack you in the head! Of course the 36 million acorns here are too common for my furbutts, so I have become known as the "BAG LADY" who is crawling around under the Live Oaks at Cracker Barrel or shopping center parking lots picking up those sweet little nuggets! :crazy:

While hubby is in the hospital last fall, I was roaming up & down the streets of the Medical Center picking the acorns off the Live Oaks and dropping them in a tote bag. Yes, people stare, point, whisper... but hey! I have mouths to feed!!! :twisted:

Can't wait till the hickory nuts start falling at Huntsville State Park.... but it's dangerous there... you have to be ready to do fierce battle with the squirrels there to get them :swordfight:

peep
State and Federal permit holder

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:24 am

Tammy, if you have access to oak trees check them now for the tiny immature acorns. The flyers love them.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:27 pm

peep wrote:

Me too! In the fall, we have to go outside with an umbrella, cuz it literally RAINS acorns around here! Really smarts when they ricochet of the metal roof and smack you in the head! Of course the 36 million acorns here are too common for my furbutts, so I have become known as the "BAG LADY" who is crawling around under the Live Oaks at Cracker Barrel or shopping center parking lots picking up those sweet little nuggets! :crazy:

While hubby is in the hospital last fall, I was roaming up & down the streets of the Medical Center picking the acorns off the Live Oaks and dropping them in a tote bag. Yes, people stare, point, whisper... but hey! I have mouths to feed!!! :twisted:

Can't wait till the hickory nuts start falling at Huntsville State Park.... but it's dangerous there... you have to be ready to do fierce battle with the squirrels there to get them :swordfight:

peep

Ahahaha...I have to go upstate or to conneticut for my acorns. Or the airport where me n Naya will inevitably look insane....I'm to rural for much trees and I'd rather not fight the fierce squirrels in my area, there is one tree and they defend it with their lives......
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:20 pm

Peep, you're too funny. :twisted: That's another story for "The Book".
Hope you are feeling as good as you are funny.

Sooo, how do yall get up there in the trees to pick the acorns? Mine are way, way up there. Also, they love the hickory nuts that have not developed yet. It's murder walking on the droppings in my driveway barefoot.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

tammy

Postby tammy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:18 pm

thanks for the acorn information. we can normally find them in the fall here, but my dad has been telling me that we will not have many if any this year because we had a hard freeze in late spring. our oak trees looked like it was winter. we have had very little rain all summer. our weather has been really crazy. my dad says the squirrels, deer, and other animals will be hungery this winter. i will feed the ones around my home. well as many as i can we have about 29 acres and most of it is wooded. we have alot of squirrels and also deer that come into the yard. i am looking for acorns for princess i had no ideal last fall when we had plenty i would be needing acorns this summer. they were every where then now they are like looking for gold. thanks, tammy
tammy

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:35 am

Airstreamlady wrote:Sooo, how do yall get up there in the trees to pick the acorns? Mine are way, way up there. Also, they love the hickory nuts that have not developed yet. It's murder walking on the droppings in my driveway barefoot.

Well there's simple process really, You find a good airplane go way above them trees and parachute yourself down. When your parachute gets all stuck in the trees you reach right out and grab as many as you can before your weight causes the branch to break and you fall that extra story or two to the floor of the forest.
Owned by

Return to “General”