Update on Rocky, aka Squirrelly, my rescued wild flyer

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
sundown127
Juvie Pup

Update on Rocky, aka Squirrelly, my rescued wild flyer

Postby sundown127 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:38 pm

My little guy is still here, despite going through some very tough times. I found him in mid February, at the base of a tree, about to be eaten by the neighbor's cat. He had major balance issues, and would just fall over on his side, or totally over on his back. He did improve dramatically over the next couple of months, to the point where he was only slightly impaired. Then, in May, he relapsed severely. I seriously thought about having him euthanized, which my vet suggested might be the right thing.

Instead I decided to give him any chance there might be. He still ate if I fed him by hand. So he had not given up. I moved his nest box into the bottom of his 6 foot tall cage. He could not climb at all, and just lived in his box. I put shelled nuts in there, which he did manage to nibble on somewhat.

Over the months since then, he has gradually improved, to the point where he is now able to easily climb all over his 6 foot high cage. His favorite spot is the fleece tunnel hanging from the top. He is still not normal, and often just sort of freezes, while lifting his head up, and then letting it come back down again. He still has some balance issues, but no longer just falls over like he used to. He sure is active all night, despite his disability! I hide nuts all over his cage, in the branches, ropes, baskets, etc. And he climbs all over everything to find them. He seems quite healthy, except for his neuro/balance issues.

Here are some recent pics of him:

We are having a bumper crop of nuts, especially shagbark hickory nuts, here in New England. Squirrelly's coat is greasy in this pic from eating too many nuts in his fleece tunnel, and then getting the fat all over himself from the leftover bits.

Linda
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:31 pm

Very glad to learn that he is doing so well after a bad start.
The pictures are great!
Amanda and Linda

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Great pictures.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:53 pm

You did a great job with him. H e's a doll.
kay

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 am

Such a sweet, trusting face :D
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:26 am

Great job!

Love that little basket! Looks like he does too!
peep
State and Federal permit holder

sundown127
Juvie Pup

Postby sundown127 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:51 am

That is his miniature fishing basket! I just had to buy that when I saw it. And yes, he does love it. Especially since it is one of the baskets that I put a few shelled nuts in for him to find every night.

I actually bought that back in May, right before he crashed really bad, and could not even walk without falling over. And could not even get off the floor of his cage at all. So to now see him regularly in that little basket, which is about 4 feet up in his cage, is extra special. His entire cage is jammed with things for him to climb on, in, and through. And he makes use of all of it every night. I figure hiding nuts all over in there, so he has to climb and hang at all angles, has been his "physical therapy", and it sure seems to help.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:16 pm

he looks precious. you did an amazing favor for him.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Miniature fishing basket! http://tinyurl.com/2s4o7t
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:39 am

He really looks good....I'm glad he is having a better time now. Maybe it will continue.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Return to “General”