and... help? maybe there's a solution?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
voguemamselle619
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

and... help? maybe there's a solution?

Postby voguemamselle619 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:04 pm

a couple things. first of all, batman went for mellow, to absolutely wild monkey in the past week... i don't know why. it is entertaining at least. but now batman has a NEW GAME. it's called, DIVEBOMB BOTH the parents after they go to bed. i didn't mind her bothering my boyfriend. but now it's me and it's incessant and undoubtedly purposeful. maybe i'm asking for too much, but she never used to do it! she would occasionally bug me, but now it's a constant battle. i HATE caging her, even during the last few hours of the night before 7 am when she retires. we don't even usually go to bed until 2 or 3 am, so it's not like it's that early. is there a way i can 'train' her to bother me less? (ok i know this is probably impossible, but if you have suggestions, bring them on!)
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:52 pm

Is the boyfriend a new addition to the nightly routine? Sounds to me like she's a bit jealous.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:18 pm

she's known boyfriend for a loooong time now, so i don't think she's jealous. when we're both up, she gives him plenty of love too.
if she is bored, what can i do to provide her with entertainment while we're sleeping? we play with her while she's awake. should i make her nightly puzzles or something? any ideas? i've tried hiding pecan bits in empty cardboard egg cartons so that she has to tear them apart. she likes that but she will probably get bored of that quickly too since the reward takes too much time to earn.
- alyssa -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:41 am

Darra wrote:Does she have a Stealth Wheel? Anita also makes some things to encourage foraging.

she has a stealth wheel and a wodent wheel. she's never used either :? i do think my life would be easier if she gave them a try though! i'll take a look at some of the other products and see if they may suit baman's fancy. thanks for your help!
- alyssa -

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 am

Have you forced her to actually get into the stealth wheel by placing her favorite treat in there when you know she has to be hungry. Y ou can start out that way very slowly and see if she will warm up to the idea of at least bing in it. Hope it helps.
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 pm

I hid cotton balls in Amanda's stealth.
It was really funny how she climbed onto it and fell off several times before she got the idea.
Amanda and Linda

Babysmama
Juvie Pup

Just a wild guess

Postby Babysmama » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Is it possible that Batman is in season? Just a thought you know how we girls can be sometimes. She sounds like Baby at times absolutely an angel and all of a sudden impossible to live with almost to the point of Rabid overnight. I can't do a thing with Baby when she is in season she is impossible to live with. She wants her own way or else.
Kathy, Baby, Chipper, Major Tom. Rocky and always in my heart Precious and Buddy.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:50 pm

Kathy could be right. Shelly gets grumpy and slaps at me when it is time for her to be in season.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Re: Just a wild guess

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Babysmama wrote:Is it possible that Batman is in season? Just a thought you know how we girls can be sometimes. She sounds like Baby at times absolutely an angel and all of a sudden impossible to live with almost to the point of Rabid overnight. I can't do a thing with Baby when she is in season she is impossible to live with. She wants her own way or else.

i didn't even think of that! silly me. i've gotten so used to batman's usually mellow nature that i forgot that she gets mood swings too.
i've tried placing huge chunks of pecan in batman's stealth wheel and wodent wheel. she runs in, grabs it, and gets out so quickly, you'd think she was running into a fire pit to grab that pecan.
- alyssa -

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:17 pm

Alyssa, it is also time for them to hide nuts. Maybe she is just protecting them too.
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Babysmama
Juvie Pup

Moody Furbabies

Postby Babysmama » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:09 pm

Definitely has to be the one or the other. Wanda could be right to because they do get very Grumpy trying to get ready for colder weather. They still go through that seasonal change even though they live with us and have the urge to store food for the winter and will be worried about having enough to eat. I was watch a program one night on SFS and they were talking about them storing nuts and I don't remember the exact number but it was in the thousands just for one winter. Right now I am going through a grumpy time with Baby she just finish estras and is still in her ugly stage. She has this look she puts her ears up and the hairs stand straight up and curl in sort of and her eyes take on this glint and she looks at you like she is saying, 'BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID.' I just give her space for a few days and she comes around.
Kathy, Baby, Chipper, Major Tom. Rocky and always in my heart Precious and Buddy.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:14 pm

thousands for one winter!!! no wonder batman is grumpy. she probably thinks she'll starve this winter.
- alyssa -

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:21 pm

voguemamselle619 wrote:thousands for one winter!!! no wonder batman is grumpy. she probably thinks she'll starve this winter.

Yeah and I keep telling mine "You don't have to store nuts. I'll give you all you want. But they keep hiding them anyway.
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Babysmama
Juvie Pup

Storing Nuts

Postby Babysmama » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 am

I don't know if you get Animal Planet on TV where you live but that was where I was watching a show one evening about small different types of Rodents and they included our furbabies and their habitats and their feeding habits and our SFS was one of the featured animals and Gene and I were shocked when they said that they stored and gave a specific number but I can't remember the exact amount but it was several thousand. Next time it is on because they do repeats alot I will give you all a heads up. There is also a program on called Backyard Habitat same station that has SFS featured once in awhile. Kathy

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:27 am

At the NSFA Conference, Naya and I shared a room with her Boss (the cutest, social little furball) and he free ranged at night. I felt him hop on my head once, but he drove Naya crazy running in and out of her shirt all night. I think he was very aware of who squammy was and he wanted her up and playing especially since the enviroment was new and exciting.
I did find all kinds of acorns hidden around my bed after he discovered Naya's supply and torn into her plastic baggie. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”