Help? To much biting

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
pattersondt
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Help? To much biting

Postby pattersondt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Help anyone please. Mimsy is 6 months old and the last 2 months biting is really a problem. She nips when she plays but seems to know not to bite to hard. She is really mean to my 19 yr old son. She jumps on him and bites him 3 or 4 times before I can get her. If I get her before she bites him I get bit. When she bites I can sometimes hold her in my hand and calmly tell her NO Mimsy, be nice and she will settle down some. But lately it has been so bad I put her in her cage for a time out. I am wondering if I am giving her what she wants. So today I put her in a zippered pouch and she slept for a few hours. I adore her, have spent hours with her everyday since we got her at 6 weeks. She has laid by my stomach to fall asleep in my quilt room. She has the run of the quilt room which is 12ft x 24 ft. She has fabric closet to climb, hide ect. I take her to the quilt room at night to play before I go to bed. That is our quiet time. She has a nice cage, toys, houses, pouches and food. My life revolves around this squirrel. My kids get after me about how naughty she is. I want a positive way to deal with this. The only thing I think she doesn't have is a friend and I am working on this. My comment to my kids is I choose to live with a squirrel she didn't choose to live with me. Therefore we try to be more understanding. Sorry this is so long but thought it would help with information. This biting is not play. We are bleeding. Any help please, Thank You, Toni

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:24 pm

Probably hormones....as for what to do, I am no help there, because I went thru that with a male three years ago and I go thru it with Martie now. I will tell you even before Martie started biting me when she go pregnant, she bit almost all men who came near her after I got her.

Maybe someone will come along with some suggestions for you before long. I do know there are several postings on here asking for help with biting.

Good luck.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:09 pm

You have one spoiled and in love with Mom flyer. LOL She loves you and doesn't want any one else to be around you. That is what she is trying to tell your son. Could you put her cage in your quilt room and let that be shared by you both? I bet she would not bite your children any more if they don't go in there but it would be interesting to see. I really think that she just wants you all to herself. Enjoy it and let the kids have their own sweet little flyer. LOL IDon't think your little girl would like that idea either. Keep us posted.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Toni, Leah's Fawn would attack her son and anyone else, but her. I know another flyer to do that too and only want her daddy. But, you might check to see if your son is wearing some scent (other than testerone) that might be annoying her. Does he use the same soap as you, etc. They can be VERY sensitive to odors, but it is likely just her preference for her HOF.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pattersondt
NFSA Member

Thank You

Postby pattersondt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:31 pm

I do think scent has something to do with it. At first I thought it was soap. But now I think it is people scent on the soap. I use a different bar of soap than my son now, not because of the brand but his scent on the soap. Whenever I wash my hands Mimsy grabs a finger and really smells it. I noticed with a bar of mango, that smell really confused her. If I use Thomas's soap (my son) I get bit. Mimsy has the run of my (our) quilt room. It is hers more than mine. I have a nesting place for her, food, water, pouches and more stuff to investigate than any incorrigible squirrel could want. She does have her large cage in my bedroom with all the niceties. When I do sleep she is in there, (if she's not sleeping with me). My day and night are much more suitable to a squirrel than most people. At least the only child I have at home is old enough to know better and to respect squirrel behavior. But I do get teased alot by all 4 of my kids about MEAN Mim. But on the other hand she is wonderful with my Grandson Eli who is 8. Maybe she is just keeping the young adults in my life in line. Thank You Mimsy. She is better with my husband than my son, but he does get the occasional nip. I get so much enjoyment with time spent with Mimsy. I don't know what I did before Mim time. Thank You again for the replies. It is so nice to know that I am not alone in Squirrel world. LOL Toni

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:27 pm

At one time I was using the Mango shower gel and after you mention it, I remember I did get bit by MS Monster everytime I took a shower. The Dawn Dish foam in the citrus also got me bit... :?
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.

pattersondt
NFSA Member

who knew

Postby pattersondt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:49 pm

citrus soap and goats milk soap are both on the no use list in our house. Per Mimsy. I have to even watch the body lotion I use if it is a different scent. I started using aveeno, that seems squirrel approved. My hair even gets the sniff test. So far that has been acceptable. I can't beleive how much I pick up from this little sweetheart. I am sure there are alot of people who think I have to much time on my hands. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I would be so lonely with out all the wonderful members of NFSA. You just can't understand if you don't experience it yourself. Thank You to all Squirrel lovers. Your the best.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:31 pm

It took me forever to figure out another one of the do not use around Martie, but I finally figured it out. That was my favorite perfume--Vanilla Fields...it has now been throwed away.

Return to “General”