Muffins Rage Continues

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Muffins Rage Continues

Postby Mary » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:13 am

I will be so glad when this hormone season is completely over.
My little vampire girl Muffin who will be 3 in April, has a serious attitude for the last 3 months of me near her cage. She keeps attacking me. I have so much trouble even feeding her. She nailed me again last night before I got the food in. My finger even swelled up but today it fine.(She did not get her food last night). I try to feed her earlier before she wakes up so I don't have to lose any more blood but I didn't get home until late. There is enough food in her nest boxes to last for 3 months so I am not worried.
I was ready last night to put her in "Tom's Wild Bunch Cage". She is a fighter.
I was hoping I would have a few weeks of calm before this summers season starts again. Doesn't look good.

Peanut is finally settling down. He even let me hold him and pet him and was enjoying it for the first time in months. He would come out, run around then run to me and attack me. I am so glad to have my baby back. Hope it last for a couple months. [-o<

Mary

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Re: Muffins Rage Continues

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:57 pm

how is muffin doing? shylo has some serious hormonal issues as well... so i can empathize! i have been a victim to her bites many times when she is in season. she can get herself quite worked up, and i find the only way to calm her is actually to hold her close to my chest for 10-15 seconds until she stops war dancing.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 am

voguemamselle619 wrote:how is muffin doing? shylo has some serious hormonal issues as well... so i can empathize! i have been a victim to her bites many times when she is in season. she can get herself quite worked up, and i find the only way to calm her is actually to hold her close to my chest for 10-15 seconds until she stops war dancing.

Muffin is still having fun terrorizing me but I think she is calming down some. She is not running into the side of the cage at full speed, only half speed. :letitallout:
She has sit for maybe 5 seconds and we talk fast before she takes off to her wheel. So there may be hope.
I can clean her cage and feed her in the afternoon and she will stay in her nestbox now instead of charging at me.
I wished I could hold Muffin. She use to run around in my shirt but she has never been one that I could hold or pet. She would only let my brother, who owned her before, hold her.

I am glad your Shilo gives a few seconds of calm. That is all I would need to make me feel better.

Thanks for asking
Mary

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:59 am

aw i'm sorry muffin isn't very cuddly. i find when i increase the treat giving shylo gets a bit friendlier :) but she can be quite moody nonetheless. she has taken to attacking my head at night when i lay down to go to bed, since i let her run around while i sleep in my room. last night i put my hair in a pony tail after she incessantly tried to dig into my long hair at 2 am. she left me alone once my hair was back, so hopefully the face attacking will also cease if i continue to put my hair up... my hair is not a nut hiding place!!
- alyssa -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Don't feel bad. I have the same problem too! Chipper thinks my hair is the best place to hide a nut; next to my ear holes and my armpits! Nothing like being awaken in the middle of a deep sleep by little clawed feed and three taps. :roll:
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:57 am

Peanut is my cuddle baby again. He started biting alot for awhile but is calmed down now. He does not leave my shirt much when he is out and when he does jump off me, it is only one short jump back to me.

I did not raise Muffin from a baby so she is not real cuddley with me. She does loves her food. I have been working on being friends again and she is calming down. Hormone season closing. Yippee :multi:
I wished I could just hold her but not this little girl. I will be happy with the shirt dives she gives me.

They are so cute.
Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Mary wrote:...I did not raise Muffin from a baby so she is not real cuddley with me. ...I wished I could just hold her but not this little girl. I will be happy with the shirt dives she gives me.

Sounds just like my Mishi. I did get her as a pup, but she imediately fell in love with Chuck and bonded to him.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 pm

Joan wrote:Sounds just like my Mishi. I did get her as a pup, but she imediately fell in love with Chuck and bonded to him.

and she still can't get enough of him :twisted:
- alyssa -

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:10 am

voguemamselle619 wrote:... and she still can't get enough of him :twisted:

I think they have the "world record" of offsprings.

Mary

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 am

Muffinsquirrel

I hope you and Muffin get things worked out, I am wondering do females just go crazy and go through rough times or am I misunderstanding ?
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon May 11, 2009 5:58 am

flyer_1 wrote:Muffinsquirrel

I hope you and Muffin get things worked out, I am wondering do females just go crazy and go through rough times or am I misunderstanding ?

I don't think all females are this way. Maybe at hormone time but can be gentle and sweet in between.
I think Muffin is just one of the few that does not like humans.
She loved my brother but would bite and draw blood from anyone else in the family. My Sis-in law became deathly afraid of her as Muffin would bite her to show her that she is the dominent female of the house.
My brother gave her to me about a year ago. Sometimes I think I am making progress with her but most of the time she charges from the inside of the cage. She has biten me many times and always draws blood.

I will keep working with her and hope someday we can be friends. She is a good eater, loves her wheel and is so cute when she tries to talk to me.(cusses me out). I sit by her cage, she flips her tail and does her squeaking then when she is done telling me off she goes in her nest box until I leave. I do think she like me. :twisted:

Mary

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:39 pm

LOL

I guess each flyer has it's own little personality, any way thanks for the help, I am getting a girl so I am pretty exited but kind of concerned, she well be the first flyer to own me and I dont want a bitter. :evilbat:

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Unrelated question:

If I am picking up my flyer can it be any older than six weeks or should it probably not be ? #-o

R.I.P Taz

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon May 11, 2009 2:43 pm

flyer_1 wrote:LOL

I guess each flyer has it's own little personality, any way thanks for the help, I am getting a girl so I am pretty exited but kind of concerned, she well be the first flyer to own me and I dont want a bitter. :evilbat:

Wow congratulations. I know everything will be fine. It is so much easier getting them as babies. She will melt your heart everytime you look at her. Carry her in your shirt as much as you can through the day. Gently take your finger and pet her on her little face and they turn their little head and close their eyes and it is so cute.

My little boy, Peanut has been a sweetheart since he was a baby (except for this feb), and he still loves to be petted and being in my shirt. He will be 4 yrs in Aug.
Muffin just turned 3 this last April and I got her right before her 2nd birthday. I think if I had her as a baby, things would be alot different. I love her anyway.

When are you getting her?
Mary

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Judy wants me to pick her up the 30th of may, but I was wondering should you not pick them up any later than six weeks ?

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon May 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Later is no problem if they are being handled. The bond will transfer easily to new HOF. Judy will be working with the pup.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:26 pm

huh

Didn't know, cool that's good to know, How many flyers do you have and where did you get your suplies/pouches,ect ?

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon May 11, 2009 11:09 pm

People have a misconception that they must get a pup at 6 weeks or before. This isn't true. A pup older than 6 weeks will bond a strongly as a younger one if handled by the breeder. I have had pups that bonded to me and that bond easily transfered to a new HOF. I have adopted out pups at 9 weeks that bonded strongly to her parents.

My pair have had 31 pups from 9 liters.

Most of my supplies come from a pet store or the woods. I use bird nest boxes. Have never used a pouch as I carry pups in my shirt.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue May 12, 2009 8:34 am

WOW, You are getting one from Judy. You are going to be so happy.
My guess is she already has it shirt spoiled and use to being held.

Most breeders never release the pups before 6 to 8 weeks. They are being weaned from the mothers milk to solid foods.

I have the highest respect for Judy and Joan and many from this list who has helped me learn and guide me in raising my little Peanut.

So tuck in your shirt, put some nesting stuff in there,(I use fleece strips) and enjoy the ride.(Put down that toilet seat).

Any problems or questions, this is the place to be.
Mary

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks Joan and Mary, I am looking forward to owning my first flyer, never thought I'd own a squirrel :rofl: But my heart has been stolen.
Ive been scoping out exotic nutrition
From what it sounds like Muffin didn't used to be yours, is that why she is so tempermental.

R.I.P Taz

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue May 12, 2009 6:47 pm

flyer_1 wrote:From what it sounds like Muffin didn't used to be yours, is that why she is so tempermental.

Yes, my one brother had her for almost 2 years but Muffin started biting every one but him and my sis in law was very afraid of her. The 2 adult son's that live with them have been biten too. A she does draw blood each time.
Maybe I should take Muffin to a Pet Whisperer to find out why she wants to bite everyone. LOL

Mary

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:57 pm

AH it's just her inner child trying to get out, she'd make one great momy.

Check out my flight's of flyers a place to tell tales of your little fur balls, the squirrel tales doesn't work so I put up this one.

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:00 pm

And what's up with me being a juvie pup how long do I have to wait to be a member ? :D

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 pm

flyer_1 wrote:And what's up with me being a juvie pup how long do I have to wait to be a member ? :D

Juvie Pup has to do with the number of posts made on the board. You can become a member of the NFSA any time you want: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=621

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Ha sweet I will start posting like crazy than. LOL

:n00b:

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:26 am

It said $20 to join the NFSA, is that per month or per year ?

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 14, 2009 11:35 am

Year

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Thanks.

R.I.P Taz

malerris21
Juvie Pup

Postby malerris21 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:07 pm

do the boys get hormonal at all? or is it just in response to a female-in-heat? obviously everyone and everything gets moody...

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed May 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Boys have their days too, but it doesn't seem to be as long or as bad. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6582
There are always exceptions. :twisted:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu May 21, 2009 6:40 am

I am proud to say that my little Muffin has let me feed her unshelled walnuts through her cage and has been very gentle in taking them, for two days now. How I wished this would last but its almost time for the next hormone season. I will keep my fingers crossed that her new attitude will last.

Mary

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:08 pm

How is Muffins little rage, still acting spoiled like a little dady's boy princes ?

R.I.P Taz

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:21 am

Muffin is doing ok. She still will charge at me and try to bite when I put my hand in the cage. I spend time talking to her every night and she will come on the one shelf and not attack but stays for a few seconds and she is back at her wheel.

I got her and Peanuts cage cleaned up real good yesterday afternoon and she stayed in her nest box and did not come out. What a good girl. I did take her one stash box out to clean it but by the time it dried and I wanted to put it back, she was up and guarding the door. :twisted:

Peanut had to come out and get some lovin and shirt diving when I was cleaning his cage. My little lover boy.

Mary

Return to “General”