shipment of pups

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Jam Alex Jam
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

shipment of pups

Postby Jam Alex Jam » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:58 pm

What's the best way to transport a pup to it's new owner if you have to do it via mail? best place to ship with, what to ship them in? what day is best to ship them? how old should they be?

Judy C.

Re: shipment of pups

Postby Judy C. » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 am

Jam Alex Jam wrote:What's the best way to transport a pup to it's new owner if you have to do it via mail? best place to ship with, what to ship them in? what day is best to ship them? how old should they be?

Pups should NEVER be sent by mail! It is neither safe nor humane. If a new owner can not drive to get the flyer, there are still airlines that will accept them and ship them safely, although the majority of hobby breeders, me included, refuse to ship at all. The care and safety of my flyer babies is the most important thing to me - if the would-be new owner can not drive here to pick it up, then they don't want a flyer badly enough to be trusted with one of mine! I have driven, round trip, 1200 miles or so to pick up a pair of flyers, and I have placed pups with people that drove here from CA, MN, and VA.

I do not know of ANY reputable breeder that would 'mail' a pup to anyone. There are, of course, some money hungry people that do not care about animals and their welfare - as long as they get their price they will sell wild caught babies, sick animals, unweaned or weaned too early babies, and older pups that they claim are babies. To me, and many others, this is nothing less than animal cruelty and abuse, and these people should be prosecuted.

Judy C.

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Chippy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 am

Judy I am so glad to read this. I have been waiting for a response with anticipation to what would be said. I can't imagine the trauma or injury a little baby would go through being shipped through the mail. I have plenty of friends who work with the USPS and they can tell me stories! It was a first rate question to ask and have answered so that everyone can know what to be warry of. Thanks so much for your time, your passion and your dedication to our beloved flyers.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Jam Alex Jam
Baby Flyer

Postby Jam Alex Jam » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:54 pm

I didn't really know anything about shipping or it's detrimental effects on flyers. I was just curious because i've heard helen's little critters ships and i was interested in how they do it. I'm thinking my baby is prego hopefully. I don't have any plans on shipping my furballs.

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:42 pm

I didn't take your questions in a bad way. I think they where excellent questions to ask and to know about if you are planning on getting a flyer that has to be received other than in person. I know there are several people on this board who have received babies from Helens and I am sure they would be happy to let you know how they received them. Good luck on you baby being prego. I'm still...very patiently....waiting. :)
Martie.....

Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.

Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:47 am

helen's little critters doesn't mail pups. my baby was sent to me on an american airlines flight from austin to boston when she was six weeks old.

CzNik2
Juvie Pup

Postby CzNik2 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 pm

helen's little critters doesn't mail pups. my baby was sent to me on an american airlines flight from austin to boston when she was six weeks old.

How was your little one when it arrived? Just currious???
Thanks
Brian

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:33 pm

She was great. A little shy at first, but overall happy and energetic. Venette had made sure she was well-fed before she left Austin, and she seemed comfortable in her little container with a little fruit, a pouch, and lots of padding. I'm sure others on the board can chime in about receiving their babies at airports if you want to know more.

CzNik2
Juvie Pup

Postby CzNik2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:46 am

Yes, I would love to hear everyones comments on how their little ones did when they picked them up at the airports??? I also have placed my deposit on one of Helens Little Critters, SFS's...I used to have a lady that sold them about an hour away from here, Melonie Buchannon, she lived in Rockville, IN (BEWARE of buying from her as she MAY take your deposit and NEVER contact you as she did with me) and I bought my 1st one from her that passed away after about a year unexpectedly :-(.... With my work constraints I am unable to drive too far to pick one up....But at least with where I work I am able to bring her to work with me EVERYDAY if I so choose, which is a good thing... :-) I look forward to hearing more testamonies on this topic...

Thanks,
Brian

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:00 am

I am very interested in this topic, I didn't want to stir up dust after all everyone here is family :D so I'll leave the animal cruelty alone because I don't know if it is or not, I think you would need to be a pup in order to know that, I mite depend on how they are shipped. I know it seems hard to understand shipping them but for some people that's the only way they can get one. I am owned by Kobie she's great,I drove to get her from Judy in Buna TX witch is a long ways away from MN I was willing to whatever it took to get a pup and believe me it's worth it, BUT I totally understand not wanting to drive a long ways it can be expensive, just make sure that before you buy a pup that's being shipped get all the specifics from the breeder. I will be getting another pup this year and was thinking Helen's would be my best option because the nearest breeder I know of is in NY, I am just a little concerned about an air plain ride for my little guy to be and I've herd such great things about her pups, anyone care to comment?
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:30 am

I had my little girl shipped by Helen's little critters and here my 2 cents.
When I get another one some day I will most likly have her shipped.
My little girl was placed in her carrier for a total of 4 hrs and actually in the air for 1.5hrs. It was a very short flight and I picked her up and took her straight home. She was sleeping and had plenty of fruit and such to snack on.
I like to think that minimizing the total amount of travel time will minimize the total amount of stress that the little tike will go though.
For me to go pick up a baby from the closest breeder would have been a 2-3 day trip. That meant that my squirrel would have been in a carrier for well over 24 hrs and subject to the jostling, stop and go, and any auto accidents I might get into. lets face it, flying is safer than driving.
therefore, I think that if you have a significant distance to go, that having your critter shipped might actually be more healthy for the baby.
I personally don't think altitude is a factor to worry about, I took Rogue with me on a flight home once, and she slept in my shirt the whole way. Didn't even bat an eye during the landing or the take off. It was just another day for her.
I would not recomend people trying this just though. Rogue was special in that I never stoped the bonding process. She slept in my shirt just about everyday even after she could have out grown it. we were always together. I knew security wouldn't be a problem becasue I knew my squirrel. Looking back, a lot of things could have gone wrong that would have ended up with me getting my squirrel confiscated, so I do not suggest anyone try sneaking your squirrel through airport security...ever.
But as far as shipping is concerned, I think its just fine and I have yet to hear any horror stories or any proof as to its negitive effects. Thats just me though

Return to “General”