Bath or no bath

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
flyer_1
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Bath or no bath

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Do all ya fellow flyer lovers give your fur balls baths, I think mine is getting a bit smelly. :silly:
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Bath or no bath

Postby Joan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:17 pm

No, they generally are VERY clean and groom constantly. It might be pee in the cage that has soaked into limbs or wood.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Chippy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:27 pm

I've had mine for 2 years now and they keep themselves very clean. They never smell. Now, if I don't give the cages a good strubbing every other month or so and keep the trays cleaned; that is another story. I replace the branches and such about every 6 mths. Of course, I have 5 acres of trees to do that with. I take the nest boxes out and thoroughly clean them out, launder the bedding (strips of polar fleece) and sand the boxes. I can just imagine the war dance if you where able to get a little furball wet, let alone a complete bath. I would love to see a video of that! I know when Chipper gets something wet on him he rolls all over me like a wet dog would and summersaults until he thinks he has it all off and then he'll spend forever grooming himself. :wink:
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks she smells a little like wee wee.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

phineasmom
Baby Flyer

Postby phineasmom » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 pm

My baby boy learned to glide after a bath and blowdry. He seems to keep himself clean now but when he was still "swimming" in baby food, he had a bath every day.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 pm

In all my years dealing with flyers, I have NEVER (thank goodness) had to give one a bath. And with any luck at all, I never will!!! The most I have needed to do is wipe them down with a damp washcloth or a baby wipe.

Judy C.

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 pm

I used baby wipes (no scent or alcohol!) to wash Ziggy off after feedings. I only had to do that a week or so, but it worked really well. He had developed a bit of an odor, but none lately.
He didn't seem to mind at all. It did make him a wee bit damp, so I was prompt to return him to his box with the heating pad.
HOF to Ziggy

Return to “General”