What going on with my squirrel?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Shadow
Baby Flyer

What going on with my squirrel?

Postby Shadow » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 am

i have 1 flying squirrel and i was giving her mix parrot food and now she seems to not want that no more. Is she tired of it or is something wrong with her? She hasn't been her self lately and that scaring me cause i lost her sister from death and i don't want to lose her either. I can't let her have out of cage time cause my house has holes that she can get in and can get hurt. I think that how her sister died. she went in the wall and ate something or rat poision. So i want to keep this one safe out of harm but i don't want her depressed. What should i feed her if she not eatting her regual food? Do i need to change foods?

I hope someone can help me with this.
thanks

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: What going on with my squirrel?

Postby toiveajattelu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:17 pm

What else have you been feeding? You should also be giving her fresh vegetables daily and fruit once in a while. Other members can address the parrot food, I've never used it.

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:14 pm

I also try blue berries , and i try little yourgurt that i saw on here that they like. i tryed vegetables but she don't touch them. the only fruit she liked is apples as well. What kind of food do you feed yours?
Does Flying squirrel get tired eatting the same thing? What also worries me is when I try to hand feed her Sunflower seed she refusing , when i try to pet her or try to talk to her she backs away from me and wants nothing to do with me. Is she lonely or what going on with her? She usely runs to me but now she wants nothing to do with me. Can squirrels tell if their owner sad? I have been sad for a long time and is she sad cause i am?

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Your flyer definately needs a better diet! And believe me, she is going to be mad and refuse to eat for a few days when you change her over. But if you DON'T change her over to the right diet, she will probably die.

She needs lots of raw veggies - broccoli, sugar snap peas, kale, mushrooms, etc. Also try a little sweet potato, apple, oranges, blueberries, - check out the nutrition section on here. Yogurt is good, as it gives them extra calcium. I usually give Dannon LaCreme vanilla 3 or 4 times a week - my flyers seem to like it very much. Whatever brand you use, make sure it is not 'lite', has no artificial sweeteners, and DOES have the live cultures. For instance, tonight I fed my flyers sugar snap peas, romaine lettuce, bell peppers, grapes, HHB squirrel blocks, and 1/2 of a pecan - no yogurt tonight, they had that yesterday. They also have in-shell nuts to help keep their teeth trimmed, as well as wild foods and branches I bring in from outdoors. The HHB squirrel blocks I use were created and are sold by a lady on TSB, and should provide everything needed to keep your squirrel healthy. They are made to be fed along with fresh veggies, etc. You can check out the information on them at The Squirrel Board - the link is below my signature.

Make sure your flyer has a cuttlebone available in her cage - it is another good source of calcium. Deer antlers are good, as are leg bones from chicken. Your flyer definately needs more calcium and protein in her diet, and she needs it immediately. She will not like the change, and may refuse to eat for a few days, but she WILL NOT starve herself to death. When she gets hungry enough, she will eat her veggies, and even enjoy them. Just be strong, and don't give in to her - without a healthy diet she will die.

Judy C.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:43 am

Veggies veggies veggies! A variety, every night. She will act grumpy and not want to eat them, but when she is hungry enough she will eat. They need tough love in order to stay healthy.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:31 pm

"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 pm

Can Summer also make flying squirrels want to sleep and not want to do anything during the day? cause it has been warm here but i keep a fan on and a open window for fresh air. I was wonder if it also has to do with the summer time as well?

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:47 pm

How old is your flyer? Flyers are nocternal and as they reach adulthood will begin sleeping during the day and becoming active at night. Mine will give me a good chewing out :bad-words: if I disturb them during the day, unless I have a goodie for them.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Rocky is 7 years old. And she not eatting or coming out to drink either. She don't get mad at me when i stick my fingers in her nest to pet her. She used to hit me with her front legs but since she lost her sister she doesn't mind me petting her when she sleeping. She just looks at me and jump. Tomorrow I will get her rodent food and calsuim .

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Calcium needs vitamin D3 to help with absortpion. Read this section: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6933
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:22 pm

I put Tums in water and i got her to drink some of it.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:56 am

What do you mean by "rodent food?"

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:19 am

Stick with the cuttlebone - really inexpensive at a pet store bird section - and yogurt, along with a lot of fresh vegetables and plants to give a variety of nutrients. I don't know about Tums for flyers; the calcium could be absorbed at a different rate & flying squirrels are so tiny that their metabolism is more finicky than larger mammals. I'd be concerned; a normally active SFS doesn't just hide in her nest all of a sudden.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Today I shared my yougert with her ( i always do 3 times a week) and Now she starting to act her self. She went up to me and that surprised me cause she hasn't when she wasn't her self. And She also starting to eat her blue berries and the yougert.
Does it mean that She is getting better?
Soon i'll be giving her other stuff that she needs.

I changed her diet and got her a better food and everything we got her has calsuim in it. We got her yougert , Cuttle bone and branch bites. Does she need anything else? Later she will get veggies. I was wondering if she needs anything else to make her better and heathy?

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 am

Mostly, she just needs YOU. You need to be insistent that she eat her vegetables before her fruit, and that will mean limiting fruit (including blueberries!) to only a few times a week. Don't rely heavily on pre-packaged bird or rodent foods. You'll also need to watch to see whether she is using the cuttlebone. If not, think about another way of supplementing her calcium and D3, like RepCal powder on her food or Calciboost in her water.

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Today I checked to see if she was using her cuttle bone and looks like she does use it. This weekend i will be looking into finding her or making her Rodent blocks. She still not eatting that much. The only thing I can get her to eat at this point is yougert and a bite of blueberry. As i did reseach it does seem like she does have MBD. Last night she ate her veggies. The only veggies she seems to like more is carrots. She doesn't touch her green veggies.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Tough love ... give her what she needs and nothing else!

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:34 pm

I am starting giving her her heathy diet and nothing else this weekend i will be getting the stuff to make her rodent blocks and she will start eatting that as well.

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:24 pm

Today i got her the rest of her food except rodent block. My mother doesn't think she needs the rodent blocks and I told her that she does and she asked me why does she need it if she getting protien from her fresh veggies, and her rodent food and caluim as well and we give her cutter bone and yougert treat and the biting stick and her wild food. She doesn't think she needs it. And I told her that it was her main food and my mother said why does she have to have it when we had her for 7 years and we didn't feed it to her before. She asked does she even need it if she getting her protien from her food. I told her yes she needs it and doesn't beileve that she needs it. So does she really need it?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:22 pm

I don't know what rodent block you are using, but most don't contain protein as they are vegatable based. Protein comes from meat and milk based foods. Yogurt has protein. Chicken has protein. I give my flyers bones from any meat I eat with a little meat still attached. Flyers eat birds and eggs in the wild and get protein from these. Some scrambled egg is good too. You can get a protein from rice and beans and other vegetarian protein combinations.
Just because your flyer is 7 doesn't mean he'll live to 15 as some do. Protein is the building block of foods.

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 pm

I don't give her rodent blocks, the food i start giving her is Musrooms, Cucumbers, Wild food branches with leaves, Cutter bones, Yougert, once in a while fresh fruit, Rodent food, Broccoli. I was wondering if She needs the Rodent Block or Henry's Heathy Blocks?

Since i start giving her , her veggies and wild food i noticed she start acting her old self. She loves her Cutterbones i watch her eat it every night since i start giving it to her.

Is Vita- Sol Multi Vitamins good for her? We brought it when we heard she needs vitamins? when we first got her.

Does it mean she getting better as well? She starting to act 100% of her self. Eatting on her own and moving around more and acting like a flying squirrel jumping around and making me dizzy( She loves to go upside down and run in cirlces and get me dizzy watching her) She did that last night. When i had both of them they both did it and i end up giving them a nickname.
Dizzy Dizzy Flying Squirrels.

Shadow
Baby Flyer

Postby Shadow » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Return to “General”