Fliers at college

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
joshb
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Fliers at college

Postby joshb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 am

I'm considering adopting a flier. I've done a ton of research on them, and know a lot about how to take care of them. The only problem is that I'll be going to college next year. Does anybody here go to college and have a flier? Is it possible to live with one, in a dorm or apartment? Or should I forget about even getting a squirrel? Thanks

surrealasm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Fliers at college

Postby surrealasm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:17 am

When I went to college me and my roomate were seriously considering getting a sugar glider.

In retrospect I'm glad I didn't.

#1 problem is going to be your dorms restrictions. If they're like 90% of dorms, they won't allow pets, candles, or even toasters. If I were you, I'd wait it out for a minute or two before you commit to getting one. It'd be a shame if you got it bonded, then had to leave it or smuggle it less than a year later.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby toiveajattelu » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 am

I moved into an off-campus apartment so that I could have a flyer when I was in college. Pets were not allowed in dorms, and I wanted her to have a larger space than a dorm room to explore.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:12 am

P.S. Please also keep in mind that having a flyer will severely restrict you if you want to travel, which you'll probably want to do at some point in college. They are not allowed on planes, and it's really difficult to find someone you trust to be conscientious enough to flyer-sit for you, because they are SO easy to lose if people aren't extremely careful. The only person I trust to take care of her when I travel is my boyfriend (even my sister lost her once), so if my boyfriend can't look after her, I can't travel.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm

I completely agree with everything toiveajattelu and surrealasm have said and I think you asked a very good question.

I'm going to add a few things having been a Resident Assistant for close to 3 years at my college. I want to type this out too just in case anyone else finds this thread and has the same question:

Yes, I won't lie, you can possibly hide the squirrel at your college with a small chance of not being caught, but why risk the squirrel's life and well being for that? It's possible to have it confiscated (depending on the college), stolen or hurt depending on the college. They WILL fine you...and they will also make you bring it home at the very least (usually within a few days deadline depending on the school), which won't be good for the squirrel or you.

There are many ways they can find your squirrel or ANYTHING they find you possessing against the rules:

-Fire alarms and drills....they will enter each and every room as a safety precaution and sometimes the RA's and campus security officers must help do this. At my school, some of the student body were actually some of the fire fighters and they would have to report the "illegal" items.

-Maintenance repairs....maintenance people can and will report you....so if your roomie puts a work order in and doesn't tell you, you could get a surprise visit.

-Your roomie! This is BIG one that people forget about. I've had room mates come up to me and rat out their roomie(s) because they didn't want to get in trouble, or because they began to fight with their roomie and wanted to "get back at them".

Having room mate means that you are both accountable for what you both do in the room. For example, if they find drugs in the room, you can both easily be held responsible, even if one or neither of you are in the room. Same goes for an animal and other things most of the time. I've seen or read reports of MANY innocent kids getting in trouble because their room mate broke the rules. Do I personally think it's fair? No....but it is what it is.

Having said that, I would personally wait until you can move off-campus and get the squirrel then, but keep in mind what toiveajattelu said about general traveling...think of things like study-abroads, class trips, spring break, winter break etc. If you have someone to care for it when you live off campus, go for it! I would still check with your college on their regulations regarding full-time students and off-campus living because many colleges require you to live on campus the first year or so unless you have a medical reason not to (doctor's note).

I moved off-campus my last year after I quit being an RA for health reasons. Something else to consider (although this may never happen to you)....even though I lived off campus and could then have a flyer, I had no time! I switched my major 2 years in, so I had to work twice as hard to complete my degree in 4 years and ended up taking 24 credits a semester. This was on top of volunteering, a part time job, homework, and socializing as any other normal person would. I had 0 time for a flyer then. Once I graduated and entered the workforce I had plenty of time and I didn't have to worry ;)

Ok enough blabbing for me.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:02 pm

i'll be honest... i hid a flyer in a dorm room and in an on campus apartment owned by the school. however, i had a single both years. it was difficult, and i would not recommend it if you have a roommate. your roommate might not be thrilled with finding little droppings on his things. if you really truly want a flyer, i would wait until you can live on your own.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Amorice
Juvie Pup

Postby Amorice » Sun May 22, 2011 3:22 pm

I didn't consider getting a pet of any kind in college until A) I was living off campus B) my landlord and roommates were all okay with it and C) I could afford the pet, supplies, food, and, most importantly, time for one.

However, I will say that after I met all the above, I found that a flyer was the best choice for me. I knew I wanted a rodent, I originally considered a rabbit or guinea pig but flyers are very quiet, relatively clean and non-smelly compared to other rodents, and they prefer vertical space to floor space (something you'll learn in college, even off-campus: floor space is very valuable!)

Also, as mentioned above, consider if you'll want/need to do a study abroad program, and any sort of cross-state moving you might be doing. (ex flyers might be legal at home, but will you go to school in a state where they're not? Do you want to be able to take a job in California or out of the country after graduation?)

Return to “General”