Need a good breeder in Georgia

Diamond8822
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Need a good breeder in Georgia

Postby Diamond8822 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:04 pm

I live in south GA. and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good breeder near here, or that would ship to a local airport.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Need a good breeder in Georgia

Postby Joan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Georgia is an illegal state; so no commerial breeders.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Diamond8822

Postby Diamond8822 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:08 pm

I found an interesting article at http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/business/georgia-legislature-loves-sugar-gliders/887 .

Does this apply to flying squirrels as well?

And where would be the closest Breeder from my location in South Eastern Ga?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:12 am

No, sugar gliders are an entirely non-native species. Flyers are native wildlife.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Chippy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:59 am

I know of a friend in GA who had a flyer and Wildlife Officials took it from her and set it free a few miles down the road. I don't think you would want to get a little furball and both of you get spoiled to have Wildlife take it away like that. It's not fair to our dear little flyers and it will be very emotional and hurtful to you as well. My friend had a horrible time over the whole thing. Please think about this very hard. I don't know of anyone who breeds in GA and most respectable and responsible breeders wouldn't let one go to GA either.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Diamond8822

Postby Diamond8822 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 pm

In my part of South Ga. It is not uncommon for people to have flying squirrels bc they are very abundant in our wildlife, and they have mishaps and fall out of trees, there are many people here that have them, including myself, and have never had a problem with the wildlife control. In southern Ga, they are more worried about the flyers being in a safe envirment and are willing to work with you. I had my flyer for a very very long time till he passed away, and never once had any problem at all. I took him to the vet and he was very popular around town. So im not very concerned with that aspect just with finding a safe and responsible breeder.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Your main problem will be finding someone who sells flyers as that is illegal and no commerial breeders are going to risk a license. A hobby breeder may be found. If you're close to Florida, lots are here. Most Southern states have a tradition of flyers as pets, but it all depends on individual wildlife officers about how much grief you get.

Diamond8822

Postby Diamond8822 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Thats very true, and i am very lucky to live in a region that is very slack on people having them as pets. Do you know anyone specific in Flordia? I know of Glidinon farms in Fl that is in Gainsville, but im not sure of any hobby breeders. I belive the farm is commercial.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun May 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Diamond8822 wrote:...I know of Glidinon farms in Fl that is in Gainsville, but im not sure of any hobby breeders. I belive the farm is commercial.

Be sure to do a "search" here on Glidinon before you ever consider buying there.

Diamond8822

Postby Diamond8822 » Sat May 09, 2009 11:10 am

Yea from what i searched its not what i expected it to be. Do you know if the squirrels are stolen from the wild or if he hand raises them? I have found someone that lives in Al. that has a baby flyer that i am very interested in. Im just glad that this Glidinon farms is not my only option.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 am

Diamond8822 wrote:... Do you know if the squirrels are stolen from the wild or if he hand raises them?

That would be almost impossible to prove.

Diamond8822

Postby Diamond8822 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:28 pm

so what is it about them that is so bad?

Return to “Selecting A Breeder”