4 week old flyer not pooping

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Wilds78
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

4 week old flyer not pooping

Postby Wilds78 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi! I have an around 4 week old flying squirrel, I believe she was almost a week old when I found her. Anyways she hasn’t been pooping well the past few days. I’ve read on many sites that it could be the esbilac formula she’s been on since I got her. She just opened her eyes 2 days ago so I am going to order the FV 20/50 and some blocks for her soon but until then I have been told to switch to home made goat milk formula. I can get stuff for that tomorrow but until then, here’s what I’ve tried- soaking in warm water and tummy massage, watered down apple juice, then full strength apple juice,warm water to drink,gas drops when I thought she was getting a little bloated (not tummy area though just between back legs) I’ve made sure to stimulate past the point of just peeing. Help! Not sure what else to try. I do not believe she is dehydrated because she pees wonderfully, and the skin test goes right back down. Yes I have a scale and was feeding her 5 % of her body weight. I’m just worried, it’s been 2 days and barely anything has come out of her butt. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Joan
Site Admin

Re: 4 week old flyer not pooping

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am

If she mainly is drinking you won't get much. You can continue to stimulate her anus with a wet kleenex as her mother would. I raised mine on goat's milk Esbilac and natural foods and he lived to 15. Switching back and forth with the formula may be part of the problem plus adding juices. If she is drinking well and active (when not sleeping;-), I wouldn't worry. These little creatures are very hardy. Pick a formula and stick with it.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wilds78

Postby Wilds78 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Thank you Joan! I haven’t switched formula yet, I was trying to find the goats milk esbilac at my local stores but none have it. So I am about to order some Fox valley 20/50 with some blocks from Henry’s . I got a little bit out this morning which any amount at this point makes me happy. I say little compared to what she was doing. She is still very active when not sleeping so that makes me feel better. I will try and post some pics, this is her sleeping after feeding
Attachments
CB7E0CEC-ACE8-43BE-A916-B6137EEAC548.jpeg
CB7E0CEC-ACE8-43BE-A916-B6137EEAC548.jpeg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 324 times

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm

If you are a first time mom, she will give you plenty of heart attacks. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wilds78

Postby Wilds78 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:05 am

Yes I’m sure she will! Lol ! I have another question for you Joan and will try and post a better pic but someone on another site said she might be a he. Her urine hole is very close to her bum so I assumed girl, but what do you think?
Attachments
034E19ED-FAB2-4F2A-9908-C67DC8FB4498.jpeg
034E19ED-FAB2-4F2A-9908-C67DC8FB4498.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 310 times

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Yes, a girl. In pups this age the penis is visable. Where did you get her? From a breeder or was she a wild rescue?

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”