Formula for baby Flyers.

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Formula for baby Flyers.

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi I was going to buy the Just Born Puppy formula but was wondering on which one I should buy, and I would also appreciate it if I could have someone give me the instructions on how to make the formula,and feeding amounts. Thanks.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Formula for baby Flyers.

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:17 pm

NinjaCorey3000 wrote:Hi I was going to buy the Just Born Puppy formula but was wondering on which one I should buy, and I would also appreciate it if I could have someone give me the instructions on how to make the formula,and feeding amounts. Thanks.

Nothing can replace mama's milk for health and passing on needed antibodies. Most hobby breeders adopt out pups when they are eating solids well and weaned. It is easy to aspirate a pup who can then die of pneumonia very quickly.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:26 pm

I have seen other posts with formulas on here, that say to use Esbilac or such, so what are you suggesting?

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:43 pm

For rehabbing, we use different formulas and strengths for different animals. Are you feeding a flyer? Or something else? And, how old is it?
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:56 pm

A baby flying squirrel, not sure on the age about 2 to 3 weeks.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Just Born is not the formula of choice for raising flyers. If you insist on keeping this baby, then feed it Esbilac, and get the powder, not the ready mixed. Do you realize how much work raising a baby is? It's a full time job, believe me. I will help you as much as I can, but first I am going to try to talk you out of it. :D That is too young to take a baby flyer. It needs it's mother's milk, not formula. Formula is used for 'rescue' babies, and is the best thing we have to use, but is not as good as mother's milk. I have read your other posts, so I assume that this is a wild baby that you have taken. It's mother misses it! Please give her back her baby.
There are too many things that can go wrong when raising one by hand. Aspiration pneumonia is very common, and very deadly unless treated. Do you have a good vet to take your flyer to? One that will treat and is familiar with squirrels? I assume you will be going back to school in a few weeks - who is going to take care of the baby while you are gone? They have to be fed frequently, on a regular schedule, and feeding will generally take at least 30 minutes. If you have already taken the baby, the momma will still accept it back if you replace it in the nest.

The reputable people that sell flyers DO NOT harvest them from the wild. My flyers have been kept in captivity for many generations, so I know what to expect from the babies I get. I do not pull them until they are at least 5 to 6 weeks old, and do not sell them until they are weaned and eating solid foods and are hand tamed. They need to stay with their momma and their siblings so that they will learn how to 'be a squirrel', and get the exercise and skills they need, not to mention the immunity they get from their momma's milk, which no formula can offer.

Most of the 'pet store babies' are from the wild, and often do not make good pets. I know this for a fact, because I have 'rescued' many of them from people that no longer want them because they bite and can not be tamed. They are usually very neurotic, unhappy, and often sick squirrels by the time I get them. I nurse then back to health, introduce them to other squirrels so that they can learn the things they need to know, and then release them back to the wild.

If you are still hell-bent on stealing one from the wild, than at least wait a few weeks before you take it. That will give the baby a much better start in life, and much less risk of it dying while you are trying to raise it. I know you have seen threads here on how someone is raising a pinky, and they look so cute and cuddly. But the majority of people you see raising them are 'professional' rehabbers, and know how to feed, what signs of illness to look for, and what to do if they do become ill. It is not easy, and is very heartbreaking to have one die while you are nursing it and trying so desperately to save it. All you see, for the most part, are the success stories - we have all lost babies, and cried when we did. Even with years of experience and knowledge of what to do and not to do, we can't save them all.

So please rethink your plan of taking one from the wild. Read all of the threads on this forum so that you will know what to do when you do finally get a flyer. You will still have questions, but you will already know the basics (what to feed, how much, how often, etc.)and be ready to give it the best life possible.

If you have more questions, please ask them here, or feel free to PM or email me. (I don't promise to stop trying to talk you out of taking one from the wild, but I have already said most of what I have to say, so I won't be so long-winded next time, and I will do everything in my power to help you!)

Judy

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:57 pm

No, I haven't taken it yet, but the mother as far as i know has been their for a week or two, I was going to buy the Just born but didn't, the only place that I have found that sells the Esbilac is on line, but I will still try the other local pet stores, my father raised chipmunks, Grey and red squirrel's when he was younger and he's home very often, so if it's too much I can offer it to my father and he would gladly take it.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:38 pm

In Massachusetts, it is legal to keep a Southern Flying Squirrel as a pet, as long as they are obtained from a lawful source. They "may not be captured or taken from the wild and may not be liberated to the wild".
So, in your state, it is against the law to take a pup from it's mother. That's the legal stance. The NFSA asserts that it is wrong to kidnap a baby from it's mother. Such poaching is morally wrong, as much so as kidnapping a human baby from it's mother.
There are NFSA members in Massachusetts and nearby states who can tell you how to obtain a flyer legally. Post a request here: viewforum.php?f=37

Mass Wildlife laws: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpets.htm
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:58 pm

What about in New Hampshire, is it legal to have one as a pet there? And are there any selling there, if so on average how much would one cost?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Legality can be checked out here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 pm

Ok, so you don't know if there legal to keep as pets in new hampshire,I was hoping you would to make my life a little easier. thanks you.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:12 am

Esbilac can often be found at PetSmart and Petco. Most veternarians carry it, as well as some feed stores. It really is the best you can get, and worth the extra effort to find it.

The humidity should not affect your squirrel. I am in southeast Texas, and I think humidity was invented here! I have two huge outdoor cages full of flyers and they stay out year round. In the summer I put a small fan where it will blow into the cage, and in the winter they stay snug in their nest boxes with plenty of bedding. I use small pieces of fleece, cotton balls (only 100% cotton), and plain white unscented kleenex and Viva paper towels for their bedding. If we are expecting a really cold norther to blow in, I will sometimes put up some plastic pieces on the outside of the cage on the north and west sides, but usually that is not necessary. (After all, they live through the summers and winters in the wild.)

Every state has different rules and regulations about what animals are legal to keep, so you need to do your own checking. I know that I would never tell someone that an animal was legal in a certain state, because laws might have changed since I last checked, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone having to give up their squirrel and pay big fines because of something I told them.

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:42 am

Please don't take the baby from it's mother. Judy and Joan explained it very well. Leave the wild ones out in the wild.

No one should get any animals that they are not commited to for all of its life. If they learn to love and trust you and you don't have time for it and pass it to someone else, it does effect them. They are special little animals that take special gentle care and need certain foods etc to keep them healthy. Since they sleep all day, they do need some attention every night to keep a bond strong.
They don't stay babies for very long so the newness of having a baby is a very short time.
If you are determined to have one, then please get it from a breeder and not the wild ones.

I pray you change your mind on taking one from it's mother.

Mary

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:15 pm

I found the Esbilac and at local pet store for twenty dollars, and i need to figure out how much to feed it, the measuring on here is in cc's I dont lnow how much or little that is, so if someone could help me on how much to mix and to feed one I would greatly appreciate it.

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:21 pm

I found out that 1 cc is equivalent to 1 milliliter. Is that correct?

aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:51 pm

If you want a baby bad enough to kidnap it from the wild, why don't you just buy one or adopt a rescue? It would be WELL worth the wait not to have to feed it formula ever 3 hours DAY AND NIGHT, 24/7. I've done that before, and its MORE work than a newborn child. You even have to stimulate them to make them pee and poop. It's not a smart idea to take one from the wild, unless it's going to die without your interference. Then, its a rescue and its quite a noble thing, in my opinion.

You should keep your eyes peeled for a while and try to get one that has been handled by humans. It would make your flyer experience a much smoother one. That's what I did! I wanted another one so badly, but I waited, and adopted a rescue and he's a darling.
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
Wifey to: Derek - married 8 years
Mommy to: Nevaeh (Human girl) - 4 years old
:animaldog: P-Nut and :animaldog: Casey (ChiWeenies)
--------------
R.I.P. Snap (Southern Flying Squirrel)

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Ya I know that but I think it's ilegal to keep as pets in new hampshire and mass.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Guess that settles it.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:32 pm

If they are illegal to keep as pets then I'm guessing they would have a major problem with someone poaching from the wild as well. This is probably a seperate charge with a great BIG fine.

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Well that doesn't necessarily stop me, but I have been looking for people to sell me one, and all I found was sugar gliders, so I might buy one of those if I can.

aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:30 pm

I considered getting a glider, but I got lucky and got a flyer pretty quickly. Good luck with your search. Take some time to search though, you can probably find a domesticated one if you keep looking.
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
--------------

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Ya I was looking on craigslist and stumbled upon a glider, so I'll give it a shot but probobaly more money than I'm willing to pay, so how much more different are the gliders and flyers, diets and needs, behavior, please help. Thanks.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:01 pm

flyers and gliders are VERY different.
http://www.nfsa.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=19&Itemid=37
research carefully before you jump into this! it's definitely worth waiting, or you'll likely find yourself over your head and not able to handle what you've gotten yourself into.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Thanks, ya I have been looking up for gliders but still have one question remaining, do adult gliders need a heating pad? Thank you.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:02 pm

NinjaCorey3000 wrote:Thanks, ya I have been looking up for gliders but still have one question remaining, do adult gliders need a heating pad? Thank you.

No, they don't.

Judy

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Ok' thanks so I'll keep looking up more information, but is there any things I need to know before getting one, If I get one from a previous owner how will it react to me, will it be the same or will it like to stay away from me?

aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:42 pm

A really great and informative website on gliders is SugarGlider.net . The site is called Glider Central and there is a lot of good information there and several nice people willing to help you out.
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
--------------

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the help. I might be getting the glider this week, hopefully, I'll let you know how things turn out once I get him.

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:04 am

Best of luck with your new Suggie, if you end up with one. I think that sounds like a good choice for you, since they are legal in your state, not harvested from the wild, and there is a good network of Sugar Glider breeder/owners to help you with all the new pet questions you will have.

I will take a sec to echo many of the people on this list who have tried to talk you out of taking a wild flyer. In addition to all their wise comments, if you take a baby from the wild, you may have to deal with a bad temper (some never do become tame) and potential parasites that are contagious to humans. I wouldn't feel right giving you advice on how to do that. Think about all the reasons you really want this pet -- Do you want it to be cuddly? Do you want to nurture something? Do you want a cool pet none of your friends have? Your motivation is important for selecting the right animal, for the right reasons. I hope all works out well!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:20 am

AMEN TO ALL OF YOU FOR TRYING TO CHANGE THIS PERSON'S MIND!!!! rocky is a rescue...from the dog.....i would never even consider stealing one from it's mother!!! what a cruel thing to do!! maybe ya'll have talked them out of it. =D>
paula

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Thank you all, for everything, and don't worry about the flyer babies, I have already got my glider coming tomorrow, so I'm not stealing it, but you did change my mind, thank you.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:55 pm

:D So glad to hear you are not a poacher after all =D> Good on ya!! Hope you get a sweet, healthy glider, and let us know how you and your new furball are doing.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:27 am

That is such great news. I think you will fall in love with your new glider instantly. I do not have one but heard they really love to be close to you and cuddled a lot.

Good Luck with your new baby. I think you made a very wise choice. Research all you can on food, bedding and a cage so you will be ready to just enjoy this sweet little critter.

Mary

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:38 pm

Ya hes cute and cuddly, about three months old and very nice likes to bite a little bit though. Hes right here with me now.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 am

Thats babies for you. With patience and love you will be able to train him to not bite in no time.

Mary

NinjaCorey3000
Teen HOF

Postby NinjaCorey3000 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am

Ya thats what I figured, and he's new so he's scared. I hope so sometimes he bites harder than other times.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”