biting and bathroom habits

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

consom

biting and bathroom habits

Postby consom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:13 am

My flyer named Salali is 1 1/2 years old. She is my son's pet but she is mostly bonded to me as I was the one the fed her as a baby. He is 10 years old. My problem is that she has recently started biting my son anytime that she is on him. Just the other night she jumped from me to him, immediately ran up his shirt and bit him on the side. The other times she has bitten him it has been on the hand or arm. I have had him wash his hands before playing with her just in case she might smell food or something on his hands. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. :?

The other concern I have is regarding her bathroom habits. Every night I let her out of her cage and she will immediately run up my shirt for a couple of minutes then she will jump down to the floor and go pee and poop. It is usually in the same area of the room. (thankfully I have hardwood floors so it is easy to clean up). Can she be trained to only use that area? Can they really control when and where they use the bathroom?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: biting and bathroom habits

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:47 pm

[quote="consom"]... My problem is that she has recently started biting my son anytime that she is on him.

You can try correcting her each time she does this. Say "NO!" and put her in some form of isolation for 5 minutes. I have a VERY small jail cage. Leave the room during the 5 minutes. You'll have to do this each time she bites. Always isolate her and leave when she bites anyone.

The other concern I have is regarding her bathroom habits... she will jump down to the floor and go pee and poop. It is usually in the same area of the room.

Looks like she has picked a place. Keep a paper towel there for quick clean up.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Tamis
Flying Furball

Postby Tamis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Once Secret picked a corner of his cage for bathroom I was able to get a corner litter box and put some already peed on newspapers in it and he always used that. You may try that. Good Luck!

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby voguemamselle619 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

good luck with the biting. i used joan's suggestion and it worked well with shylo.
as far as the bathroom habits, be happy it's not on you! :D
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

lynn
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby lynn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:28 pm

The topic of biting one person has come up a couple of times before. You may want to think about your son's soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, or other scented products. Being a child, he may use something that smells different than your soaps & other things. I remember at least one case where the biting was solved by using non-scented soap. Keep working with your SFS -- they're pretty smart, and I'm sure she'll get it!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

consom

Postby consom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:46 am

Thank you for your suggestions. I have considered them and we are still working on the biting. She has done much better the last couple of days. I have encouraged my son to carry her around in the bonding pouch more often to help increase the bonding and it seems to help also.
voguemamselle619 wrote:good luck with the biting. i used joan's suggestion and it worked well with shylo.
as far as the bathroom habits, be happy it's not on you! :D

yes. i am happy that it is not on me. :D
Thanks again.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”