No longer running on wheel

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

shermansae
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

No longer running on wheel

Postby shermansae » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:24 am

Hello,
My flyer always used to run on her wheel, pretty much constantly if she was awake. She just seemed very hyper and excited all the time. She still loves to run around her cage and jump to me, she is eating just as excitedly as ever. The only difference is she no longer runs on her wheel, which she LOVED before. I just want to know if anyone thinks this is a symptom of something to come, like MBD, or if I am just overreacting and she just doesn't want to run on her wheel anymore.

Also, I don't give her any calcium supplements. I just leave a cuttlebone and mineral block in her cage (which she has never ever touched) and give her fresh fruits and veggies every day, especially dark green ones, which have high calcium. Should I be giving her a supplement so she doesn't get MBD or is she gonna be ok?

-Sara

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Re: No longer running on wheel

Postby pnerissa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 am

I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you. If she is as healthy as you believe her to be, I suppose it's possible that she's become bored with it. Have you checked the wheel itself to make sure that it's in good working order and turns easily? No broken parts or anything that might be causing her discomfort to run on it? Also, observe her when she walks to make sure she's not favoring a sore foot or similar symptom. I have a treadmill that I often avoid for weeks at a time before using it again...

Bev

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:31 pm

I agree with Bev. Observe her behavior and locomotion. I wouldn't quite call it MBD or anything yet, but keep an eye on her and if you are worried about her calcium and vit d, you could always supplement once a week, or once every other week if you think once a week is too much? Sorry I can't be of more help.

shermansae

Postby shermansae » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Alright, thanks for the help. The wheel does work well and she doesn't seem to favor a leg or anything. Other than not liking her wheel anymore, nothing else seems to have changed. Thanks for the insight, I'll just have to monitor her! She may just be bored like you said.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Make sure the wheel is anchored firmly, and doesn't wiggle or move around when she's running. Also, it could be that she had a bad dismount or something, and it scared her. If so, she should eventually get over it and slowly resume her running.

Judy C.

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:15 am

I think Ziggy is literally adicted to his wheel! :roll: He may need an intervention!? :wink: Sometimes I wish he didn't like it so much, but have to remind myself that it is good exercise for him. Lets hope your flyer is simply going thru a stage.
HOF to Ziggy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Mishi uses her wheel to eat in!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

shermansae

Postby shermansae » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Haha, yea my squirrel sits in hers and eats too. I actually saw her run in it last night... yes!! Hopefully she will start to run more again. She used to run so much I couldn't watch TV because all I would hear was the wheel, haha.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby spiritedaway20 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Joan wrote:Mishi uses her wheel to eat in!

lol as does Samson, but mostly he likes to carry a hard-shelled nut with him while he runs and then drop it at around 4 am. :-p

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 am

rocky stopped running in his wheel too. it worried me at first but, i have been watching him and he is fine. as a matter of fact, he was rolling around with his pink flamingo last night and trying to carry it to put it back in the wheel where i found it a couple of days ago. i laughed till i cried last night watching him pick that thing up and hop with it and then get mad because he couldn't get it where he wanted it so he would just hump and roll around with it. :rofl: he's in his manly stage right now with his jewels showing but, he has never been bad when that stage comes around and i am so thankful for that!!! =D>

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”