Broken Leg

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:30 pm

[quote="hauk"] ... the baby that was rescued by the combined efforts of Joan, Laurie and myself is eating well and her eyes are open now and she is starting to travel

Cool! :D How's that little leg healing?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

hauk
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby hauk » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:41 pm

Her leg is fine,I was able to immobilize it with 1 drop of glue that is dissolved with water,I have used this method before and have had great success with it,There is no discomfort to the little girl and the leg will be fine in less than a week. Tom

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:45 pm

Gosh Tom, tell us more ... do you kind of paint the leg and it hardens into a cast? Doesn't she chew on it. I may have to tell my vet about this method.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

hauk
NFSA Member

Postby hauk » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:53 pm

Joan: it only works on a very young squirrel that does not chew on anything,This baby only sucks on the eyedropper,In another week it would not work,I make it from cornstarch with a very tiny bit of cotton fibers,very thick and only put a drop on if I can see the break,It hardens enough to hold the area still and it can be removed by flushing with a warm water and salt solution. Tom

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:31 pm

Hey, you guys - is this the baby that Connie called me about the other day? I haven't had a moment to find out if Laurie or Tom took that little one.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:39 pm

Tom got her and a lucky girl she is. :D

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:42 pm

[quote="hauk"] ... and only put a drop on if I can see the break

What kind of glue?

hauk
NFSA Member

Postby hauk » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:26 am

Use cornstarch and very fine fibers from a cotton ball,mix with water and make it very thick,Wind the fibers around the broken portion (not very tight) and put the cornstarch on while it is thick,It takes a bit of practice and it may not set the bone exactly in place but it will heal without pain and it keeps the baby from moving it.I always told people to practice with a thin tooth pick to get the idea, Removing it is done with lukewarm water and a little salt mixed with the water. I usually leave it on about a week,Sometimes the patient is too mobile and it does not help but I only do this to very young squirrels (Greys, this is my first flyer and it is working well). Tom

Return to “FS Health”