What is in Esbilac?

Amy

What is in Esbilac?

Postby Amy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:19 am

Hi!

I actually have two questions. I hope they get answered in the next few hours, because I need to get to the store!

1) I've been using the kitten formula on my orphaned flyer, but I know he was at least 4 to 5 weeks when I got him. I was told by a local SQUIRREL rehabilitator, not necessarily flyer rehabilitator, that he should have the kitten formula. But after reading all you guys say about it, I decided to switch him for his last few weeks of nursing. At my local pet store they have a puppy formula thats not called Esbilac but it says it can be used for orphaned squirrels, rabbits, and ferrets. If anyone has a can of Esbilac and can just tell me what the breakdown of nutrients is in it so I can compare it to this and make sure its alright I'd appreciate it. I just remember on the side it had like percentages of protein and fat, etc., in it.

2) Next, I need to be sure I switch him over easily so he doesn't get an upset stomach. My idea is to slowly add the puppy formula into the kitten formula a few times until I can just feed him the puppy formula. How many times I take to do that I dont know. And to wean him from the formula all together, is it okay to start watering down his formula a bit? He seems to refuse to drink water, just formula. He still eats plenty though, just wont drink water.

I hope to hear from anyone! Soon!!

Thanks!!
Amy

Leah
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Leah » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:48 am

Amy,

Here are the ingredients for the powdered Esbilac:

Ingredients: Vegetable Oil, Casein, Whey Protein Concentrate, Butter Fat, Dried Skimmed Milk, Egg Yolk, Monocalcium Phosphate, Lactose, Calcium Carbonate, L-arginine , Lechithin, DL-methionine, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Potassium Phosphate Monobasic, Magnesium Carbonate, Salt, Potassium Phosphate Dibasic, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Silico Aluminate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, and Mono and Diglycerides.

Nutritional Information:

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 33.0% Min
Crude Fiber 0.0% Max
Crude Fat 40.0% Min
Ash 7.75% Max
Moisture 5.0% Max

There are many opinions on the best nutrition for wildlife, when the fact is that we don't know FOR SURE in many cases, because there is not sufficient scientific data on the make-up of mother's milk for each species. There has been some analysis done with grey squirrels, but nothing has been done for flying squirrels. So, we are left to do the best we can. That having been said, there are numerous examples of the differences in babies raised on Esbilac Puppy formula versus many other milk replacers, and MOST rehabbers agree that Esbilac is the best alternative to mother's milk for squirrels. Personally (I've rehabbed a LARGE number of squirrels), I certainly do agree that it's the best we have and I would not use anything else. It's too tried-and-true. Kitten formula has much higher amounts of protein because that's what felines need.

Now, you've got a couple of things going for you - chief among them is your orphan was 4 - 5 weeks old when you got him. I assume that means that he was with his mama squirrel prior to that, rather than another rehabber? If that's true, then he had a GREAT start from birth with the nutrition that was perfect for him (mother's milk).

Any baby I've gotten who was fed the wrong things, I've just started them out with Pedialyte, gradually introducing Esbilac and increasing it with each feeding over a couple of days until going full strength. If the baby balks at the taste of the Pedialyte, add a few drops of Esbilac right away just to "flavor" the Pedialyte.

This is just my opinion...others will probably have their own. Rehabbers are just like other human beings - each has their own very strong opinions.

Let us know how you do!

Amy

Postby Amy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:58 am

No, actually I think Marty went straight from the tree with his mom to me. He was just already about a month old when he ended up on the ground. He already seemed to be just fine when I got him, I know he was found alive w/ several other babies that weren't so lucky. I dont know where his momma was. I'm just trying to do my best to get him raised healthy. I know once he gets off this formula I won't have to worry quite so much about him. What about the water? I still dont know what to do about not being able to get him to drink water. I know its not really a problem right now because he has formula. but once he comes off that, he needs to drink water so I can get him his calcium. Thanks for information though, I really appreciate it!

Amy

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:07 am

That's really good news about him getting mother's milk for the first month of his life - he'll be just fine. If it were me, I would definitely move him over to Esbilac, though, until he's weaned.

As far as water - don't worry about it. He'll drink on his own as soon as he needs it. As long as he's on formula, he simply doesn't need it.

Good luck with him - he is lucky to have someone who cares enough to research nutrition and not just rely on what one person (rehabber or not) says!

Amy

Postby Amy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:27 pm

Hmm....

having dificulties. I went to the pet store and looked at what the puppy formula they have had in it compared to the Esbilac, expecting it to be similar. Here's what they said:

Mother's Helper
Protein: 4.0% min
Fat: 5.4% min
Fiber: 1.0% max
Moisture: 87% max
Ash: 1.2% max

Just Born
Protein: 6.5% min
Fat: 6.5% min
Fiber: 1.0% max
Moisture: 87% max
Ash: 1.2% max

So what is the best suggestion you guys got? How much does one can of Esbilac COST? I dont know what the best thing to do is!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:43 am

I had a lot of trouble finding Esbilac before I got my 6 week old babies. The only place that carries it is at a neighboring county co-op farm supply. It's about $8 a can there. After you open the can and fill a syringe or nurser, pour the rest into one of those plastic ice trays and freeze then put the cubes into a zip lock bag in the freezer. thaw out 1 cube at a time and keep the thawed Esbilac in a clean baby food jar in the fridge. I always keep a spare can in case I get an orphan baby something or other.

Amy

Postby Amy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:30 pm

Ok, I really need someone to read the nutrients I posted earlier that are in the two kinds of formula and tell me if either of those might be ok. PLEASE!! What at least is the most important thing that they need to have in the formula? Cuz Marty eats like he's starving, formula AND other foods.

Amy

Amy

Postby Amy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:26 pm

Interesting....I went on to the pet store without getting a reply about the formula. Leah, is there any chance you typed the nutrient facts wrong for that Esbilac? Becuase I actually FOUND the Esbilac at this pet store, and bought the smallest can possible This is what the Analysis said:

Crude Protein, min: 4.5%
Crude Fat, min: 6.0%
Crude Fiber, max: 0.0%
Moisture, max: 85%
Ash, max: 1.0%

That's almost nothing like what you told me for Esbilac powder. I went ahead and got this puppy Esbilac because that's what everyone keeps saying I needed. Now I just have to get him switched over to it carefully. I hope thats right because it's what I got now! This is hard work. :multi:

Amy

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:41 pm

[quote="Amy"] ... Leah, is there any chance you typed the nutrient facts wrong for that Esbilac? Becuase I actually FOUND the Esbilac at this pet store, and bought the smallest can possible

Amy, I know Leah buys powdered in hugh amounts and usually goat's milk based. That is probably why the difference. She got a more rehabber prefered version. I raised my Chuck on the pet store bought Esbilac cans and froze it into ice cubes like Deb said ... otherwise it goes bad in a veey few days and you have to get a fresh can.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”