Pedialyte and Esbilac

honi_baby

Pedialyte and Esbilac

Postby honi_baby » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:53 am

I'm getting a Northern Flying Squirrel from ratkateersrodentry and it will only be between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 weeks old. In the letter she sent me regarding feeding it says to make sure the baby is warm and then for the first feeding to just give Pedialyte. Then there is a schedule for several feedings with a mixture of Pedialyte and Esbilac in different ratios. I have never seen this mentioned on this board. Does anyone have an opinion? :scratch: :?:

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:19 am

A Pedialyte feeding for 24 hours is often done with new and dehydrated rescues graduating toward a mixture to full formula. I'm not sure why it would be done if pup has been with it's mother or hand raised on formula after a certain age. Maybe some of the rehabbers know.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

honi_baby

Postby honi_baby » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:33 am

The squirrelly babies are supposed to be hand raised. My baby will be shipped on an airplane from Indiana to Florida. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:53 am

Maybe she has some concerns about the baby being stressed and/or going without food during the flight. Or maybe the change from one local water to the other? Why not write and ask her why she recomends that it is done that way?

Judy
Last edited by Judy C. on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laurie
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Laurie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:38 pm

I'd be a bit concerned. I mix the Esbilac w/Pedalite for the first day because I know the rescuues are stressed to the max and sometimes information about the baby is unclear - how long away from momma, how long w/out food & water etc.... If it were me then I would get my baby and the next minute be on the board (or phone) to everyone here for advice when you can look at the baby and give us some info as to how it looks. Keep in mind that the baby will probably try to bite, shy away or take off the moment you open the box/carrier/cage. To say it's going to be freaked out is an understatment. I had 2 puppies shipped from a breeder in Texas to Florida and they didn't act "normal" for 24 hours and they were weaned for almost a month. You really won't know for sure how old your baby is - whereas with a dog, you can tell by it's teeth. If youa re picking it up @ the airport. I would not try and do anything with it then get home before opening the cage or trying to give it anything. I wouldn't run the risk of it trying to bolt in an airport or the car. If you have a digital camera, it would be SO helpful to us if you could snap a photo and post it asap when you get home. The fact that she is saying it still needs formula says it's not a weaned baby & would worry me.
Laurie
Mom to Orphaned Fliers Everywhere

honi_baby

Postby honi_baby » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:43 pm

I will definitely post pictures as soon as I get the flyer home from the airport. I thought the Pedialyte mixture sounded strange b/c every post on here says Esbilac is complete by itself. I appreciate all the help.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:13 pm

Got this from Leah:

" .... I don't have a problem with Pedialyte being used at first since there is no way to know what "hand raised" means in this case. It could mean that they take the babies away from their mamas before weaning age to be "hand raised" the rest of the way. It could mean nothing at all - just a selling point. Anyway, if the diet is changed in any way (and it would be, obviously, since the poor little mite is being shipped across country), whether the baby's on mama's milk or formula - the trick is using the Pedialyte and gradually adding in the Esbilac so the little tummy can more easily adjust. I don't have a problem with her advice about the diet....I just have a problem with her sending a 5 - 6 week baby out to someone who probably hasn't any experience. You know if they "say" the baby is 5 to 6 weeks, it's probably younger. UGH."
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

honi_baby

Postby honi_baby » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Thanks Joan and Leah. I realize that it is never good to ship small animals but it seemed like the only way to get a flyer, which I have wanted for some time (just talked my husband into it). I have never raised a squirrel but have successfully raised many orphaned kittens from the place I work. I have also carefully read the feeding suggestions and have gotten 3cc syringes that I will let the baby drawl from herself. I am glad I found this message board with so many knowledgable people to help guide me.

hauk
NFSA Member

Hand Raised?

Postby hauk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:48 pm

honi-baby,First let me thank you for being an NFSA member,I'm not sure I would believe anything that Breeder tells you,I would bet that the baby is not weaned yet,I would give it some pedialyte for 1/2 a day and assume that she expects the baby to be having a problem,She probably knows d--- well it is not weaned,It is my opinion that you should assume it's not weaned and follow the rehabbers advice on this board,Start feeding esbilac slowly attempt to introduce a cheerio,Very thin apple bits,Maybe a little yogurt,Watch the stool,it will tell you how to adjust the intake of food,Every one has givin you good advice,Laurie is right on target about not opening the cage until you are in a safe enclosure also what ever Joan and Leah tell you should be taken as gospel.Take it slow,don't panic about anything and if you need a question answered everyone will help you. Tom

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:30 pm

I have to agree with Tom. You have the best of the best working for you here so definately listen to everything that they say. Don't let Tom fool you. He is also a god among squirrels.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:44 pm

honi_baby wrote: ... I realize that it is never good to ship small animals but it seemed like the only way to get a flyer ...

Next one you want, don't forget us in Jacksonville. I have a sister in St. Cloud and can bring one down. When I was in school in Kissimmee, we played Frostproof in basketball; so you can't be that far away from Osceola County. :D

honi_baby

Postby honi_baby » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:07 am

Kissimmee is right down Hwy 60 from Frostproof. I'm still praying that I actually get my squirrel from Ratkateers, trust me I have my doubts. I already have a complete squirrel cage set-up and pretty much everything I need except for fresh fruits and veggies of course. If something goes wrong with this purchase, I really hope to be able to get a flyer from someone on this board so I will know the baby has been properly cared for and is ready for a new home. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:10 am

Hi, honi_baby,

Another word of caution....a 3cc syringe is WAY too big for a flyer of undetermined age! And the baby won't really be able to "draw" on the syringe at all - you will have to control the flow yourself. Best to push out a drop at a time as the baby licks it up. Of course, the advice may change slightly depending on how old this baby really turns out to be.

Anyway, I will mail you a 1cc O-ring syringe. Your address is on the members directory, I assume?

~Leah

P.S. Tom IS the Squirrel God....and major deity to many other species!

Oh, and thank you, Joan my dear, for not pasting the REST of my email..... :oops:

honi_baby

Postby honi_baby » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:18 am

I appreciate all your help Leah. I realize now that I should not have bought a baby from a large breeder of many different species, but I have already put down a non-refundable deposit and bought a cage and many accesories. I swear I will do my best to properly take care of the baby (and probably drive you all crazy with questions). Anyway, thanks again.

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:42 am

After reading all the pros I'm gonna give just one more addition. Tom said to try offering thin pieces of apple. That's good but make sure that the peeling is off, cause they can't chew the peeling very well at a young age, and it can choke them.
~*~Reesa~*~
Happy Squammy to Tajar and Baxter

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”