Can anyone (experienced) check on this flyer in a pet store?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
peep
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby peep » Mon May 14, 2007 8:38 am

Darra...

I'm on my way out the door NOW!!!!!

peep

I'm 10 miles from the woodlands.
State and Federal permit holder

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon May 14, 2007 8:46 am

Do you have a new flyer Peep? :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Mon May 14, 2007 9:01 am

I will probably need bail money first of all! Nobody knows how indignant I can get over raw stupidity!!!! :bad-words:

Bottom line, yes, I will probably end up with a new flyer, and 2 suggies. :roll:

I'll buy them if I have to, to rescue them from idiots!!!
peep

Mall opens in 45 minutes, if I leave now, I should be able to get a parking place within 2 blocks walking distance :?
Report later
peep

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon May 14, 2007 10:38 am

omg! looks like we need to start a legal defence fund :roll: Do we have a lawyer HOF in the NFSA to help keep our members out of the pokey when they "liberate" flyers? :twisted:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon May 14, 2007 11:00 am

Now calm down Darra. After she springs that flyer, not to mention 2 gliders, you know she's gonna need more than an hour to shop for all the stuff she's gonna need for 3 new babies :twisted:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:08 pm

Haha. I hope you made out well, Peep. How'd things go?
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

tosha_m_1981
Flying Furball

Postby tosha_m_1981 » Mon May 14, 2007 2:20 pm

so has anyone heard from peeps yet?
Tosha

Proudly owned by Libra(F) Taurus(M) Cosmo (M)
Mother to Rebecca and Tara
Jasmine the Cat and Miss Priss the dog In loving Memory of my lil Rascal (momma's baby boy)

tosha_m_1981
Flying Furball

Postby tosha_m_1981 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:33 pm

I live about an hour and a half south of there Darra, If there is anything i can do please let me know. please let peeps know also...
Tosha

Jasmine the Cat and Miss Priss the dog In loving Memory of my lil Rascal (momma's baby boy)

TalaWolf
Juvie Pup

Postby TalaWolf » Mon May 14, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm so glad she's getting those poor critters help. It makes me so angry that pet stores do things like this. >.> :bad-words:
Christina

*~HOF to my precious Mica~*
Mom to my Australian Kelpie dog, Juno

sundown127
Juvie Pup

Postby sundown127 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:21 pm

Sounds so very much like the puppy mill trade, which is where almost all pups in pet shops come from. I bred dogs for 20 years (no more, though), so know all too well what goes on behind the scenes in that industry. Guess I never realized it goes on with other pet shop critters too. Hey, I never even knew anyone raised flyers to go to pet homes, before I joined this board. Since my flyer fell out of a tree in my yard.

But yeah, so many times, dog rescuers are so horribly torn when they see pups in terrible conditions in pet shops. They want to save them, but by doing so, they just create more of a market for them, and the pup will just be replaced with another, since that one sold.

I sure hope that some officials take action against this pet shop, before those poor little ones suffer any more.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon May 14, 2007 5:47 pm

Well this is terrible! Seriously why do pet stores take on pets that they can't handle? Any luck bailing them out?
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Mon May 14, 2007 6:33 pm

Ok, I've exhausted all resources for today. I've spoken to my county's SPCA. They will handle ONLY domesticated animals. They referred me to Tx Parks & Wildlife. A game warden finally called me 15 minutes ago.

BRACE YOURSELVES.... He does not know what a Sugar Glider is... and had absolutely NO IDEA that SFS were indigenous to the state of Texas!!!! He is aware that people sell them, but doesn't know how to prove that they were wild caught. This BOZO was so busy talking himself out of taking the assignment, that he wasn't even listening to me!!!!! He talked in circles for 20 minutes trying to justify just ignoring the situation. I yelled at him, "JUST LISTEN A MINUTE!!" Finally got a few facts into his head, and he agreed to take the glider issue up with the local reps of USDA, regarding licenses and permits. He agreed to visit the pet store tomorrow and ask to see invoices and permits for the gliders and flyers.

I have no faith in him. I have a call in to the County Sheriff (BJ worked with him at Houston PD.) and will be hounding Houston SPCA cruelty investigation team (The ones made famous on Animal Planet) . Currently BJ & I are discussing whether to take the credit card debt up another $1,000 to purchase all five of the animals (there are 2 gliders, and 3 flyers - ALL ADULTS. He has a point, if we buy them tonight, it could blow any investigations.

Will update everyone tomorrow after I talk with a few more people. Game Warden did assure me that if they confiscated the animals, they will turn them over to REHABBERS instead of destroying them. I will make sure of that, as soon as I talk to their admistrators in the morning!!!!

NOT DONE YET!!!!
peep

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon May 14, 2007 6:46 pm

peep wrote:... Currently BJ & I are discussing whether to take the credit card debt up another $1,000 to purchase all five of the animals (there are 2 gliders, and 3 flyers - ALL ADULTS. He has a point, if we buy them tonight, it could blow any investigations.

Sundown is right, that will only give them money and encourage them to sell more. Pushing an investitation is the best plan... it's a pain for them and more discouraging of repeating glider/flyer sales.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

sundown127
Juvie Pup

Postby sundown127 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:36 pm

Yup, if you run in there and buy all 5 of them, the pet shop will happily pocket the profit, and order more of them from wherever they got those from, since they are "selling like hotcakes". Which just encourages their suppliers to either breed or capture more of them.
What happens if next week, or next month, you find out there are another 5 or even more restocked in this pet shop, because you bought these current 5 flyers and gliders??
I hate to say it, but in the responsible dog breeder and owner community, the rule is DON'T buy any puppy in a pet shop because you feel sorry for it. Because by doing so, you are just perpetuating the demand for pet shop puppies from cruel and inhumane puppy mills. If there is a demand, then there will be unscrupulous people there to supply that demand for profit.
But if a pet shop gets stuck with sick, ill tempered pets, whether puppy or glider or flyer, and can't sell them, well, they won't be ordering more of those to sell.
I know all about wanting to "save" the ones right in front of you, but by doing so, more will be hurt in the long run.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Mon May 14, 2007 7:40 pm

Made one last ditch effort for the night.

Called a friend of ours who works with City of Houston Emergency Management. He put me in touch with a Fire & Rescue employee, who carries Sgt. Mark Timmers cell number in her cell phone speed dial!!!!

Talked to her tonight, explained the situation and told her that 2 national organizations were TOTALLY up in arms over this situation....

Sgt Timmers will be calling me in the morning... she assured me that he would take every possible step to help us out!!!

Now... Bailey's Irish Creme is calling me
peep

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Mon May 14, 2007 9:21 pm

Oh my Peep what a day you have had. Have a couple of Baileys for me too. LOL Your doing a great job and have the right resources to get something done. I agree that if you buy them they will just add more. People with the right authority needs to see their paper work (pet store's) and go from there. Will say a prayer for all to come out good news for the critters.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Peep, have you contacted the glider rescue in Dallas? They are associated with the SPCA and they seem to take matters like this to heart.

I found them on the internet last year but I lost everything on my computer so I don't still ahve their information.
They might could help

You did a great job today and I hope your efforts pay off for all these babies.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Mon May 14, 2007 11:25 pm

Peep, I don't know about Texas, but here in FL the department of Agriculture is in charge of Pet Stores. The pet store needs special liscenses to sell the gliders and probably the flyere too. Also, if either animal was brought in from outside the state, the pet store probably needed to go through the Dept of Ag. I don't know if that helps but you could ask. or maybe look them up on the internet.

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 am

One other thing that may be done, is to post people outside the pet shop, and alert any prospective customers going in. If I lived closer and had the time I know I would be outside that door telling anyone about the horrid conditions of these poor animals!!
~*~Reesa~*~
Happy Squammy to Tajar and Baxter

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue May 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Ok, Anita Rae, you're right... the USDA has all the power and authority over animal welfare. I just finished sending them my complaint.

Now... If NFSA members, and Sugar Glider organization members will do this:
send a couple of short emails to the following people, asking for their disposition on Evelyn Lowery's complaint against:

Pet Fair
The Woodlands Mall
1201 Lake Woodlands Drive
Ste. 700
The Woodlands, Texas 77380

Regarding cruelty and neglect of 2 Sugar Gliders and 3 Southern Flying Squirrels

to the following email addresses, there is NO WAY they can ignore the problem. This is the power of organizations... spread this across all message boards that you subscribe to! I can't go any farther until these agencies investigate, and it will take a big roar to make sure they do it!
Please roar.

acwest@aphis.usda.gov

Raider@houstonhumane.org

still trying!
peep
Last edited by peep on Tue May 15, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 pm

What should i say exactly? I can't say that i witnessed it or something like that...Should we all send similarly worded e-mails so that it seems like we're all in unison? I know sometimes when there are problems at the local mall everyone just kees sending the manager the same e-mail until they do something about it?
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue May 15, 2007 10:38 pm

TO: mailto:acwest@aphis.usda.gov

CC:mailto:Raider@houstonhumane.org

In the Subject line put:
Regarding cruelty and neglect of 2 Sugar Gliders and 3 Southern Flying Squirrels

In the body of your email put:

Please advise me of the disposition on Evelyn Lowery's complaint against:

Pet Fair
The Woodlands Mall
Ste. 700

Sign it:

Thank you,
Your Name
Member, National Flying Squirrel Association
(or name of your organization)

Feel free to copy and paste!
peep

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 pm

OK, I did some research last night and what I found out is kind of shocking. Texas ain't got no stinkin' laws about pet stores. So if you get anywhere, it will probably be through USDA. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do much about it. I will send the email to them.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Wed May 16, 2007 9:27 am

They have laws, but none with any teeth in them, and none that agencies want to actively enforce. Most them are only on city & county level. The only thing that gets them motivated is bad publicity and large public outcry. That's why I'm asking for a flood of inquire emails to both of these agencies.. Just let them know that organized rescue associations care, and are watching for a resolution.

The USDA does have pretty stringent animal welfare laws, but not enough manpower to do much more than send the violator an warning letter. The more I look into it, the more furious I get! I'm not stopping until this place is SHUT DOWN! Mainly due to the callous attitude of that manager.

I am whole heartedly in support of the groups who want to stomp on the breeding mills, and the nest raiders. I think it should be one of our main missions, also. Once the market gets flooded with in-bred, ill-tempered, mutated flyers and suggies, our sweet babies will get a bad, underserved reputation. We all know that when a pet fad gets started, EVERYBODY has to get one... and when it doesn't work out like they expected... they'll take it out and stick it in a tree.

OK... I sound manic. I'll go take my medication. :?

tosha_m_1981
Flying Furball

Postby tosha_m_1981 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:52 am

Ok Peep, I sent it. Hopefully if we flood them with emails that they will do something about it!!! I am going to tell my boyfriend to do the same thing!!!
Tosha

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Wed May 16, 2007 4:54 pm

I'm going to send an email even though I am not a member of this organization yet. This is just so... disgusting!
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

Yolanda
NFSA Member

Postby Yolanda » Wed May 16, 2007 6:08 pm

Does the local newspaper have a section on their editorial page where readers can submit their opinions of a variety of issues? That may be a route to notify the locals of what is happening.
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

Suggiemom
Juvie Pup

Postby Suggiemom » Wed May 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Ok, emails sent and I can tell you that here in SC, our USDA rep takes this stuff seriously! In December, I found a 4wk oop glider stuffed in a 10 gallon aquarium with no pouch, etc., and they went the next day.

Even if a store IS USDA licensed to sell or exhibit exotic animals, they must adhere to certain guidelines and that includes feeding them the proper diet, which unfortunately, the colored stuff they are getting in the pet store is marketed as a sugar glider diet even though it's really for reptiles!!!

NOTE:Normally, I would NEVER condone purchasing them from a pet store due to the mill breeding situation, but she was too young to be away from mom, was eating hamster food and it was going to be a three day weekend so I HAD to get her out of there. Was afraid she wouldn't make it over the weekend.

AngieH on WSGN runs Hope for Gliders in TX. I'm not sure how close she is, but she would be the one to talk to I imagine.
~ Laurie ~
Foothills Animal Rescue

Support Animal Rescue!!!!
www.cafepress.com/pipersstore

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:32 pm

Mine has been sent :!:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 pm

sent....on all 7 of my email accounts.....with some borrowed names from friends... :oops:
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu May 17, 2007 8:29 am

RECIEVED REPLY FROM USDA!!!

May 17, 2007

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for your email concerning Pet Fair.

Animal Care is the division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) that is responsible for the enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act. The Act provides minimum standards for the humane care and use of animals at USDA licensed or registered facilities.

Animal Care inspectors conduct routine unannounced inspections at all USDA licensed and registered facilities to ensure that they are meeting or exceeding these minimum standards. Our inspectors also conduct searches for unlicensed facilities conducting regulated activities. We perform inspections and searches when necessary in response to valid concerns and complaints received from the public to ensure the well-being of the animals and compliance with the law. If violations are found, enforcement action appropriate for the circumstances will be initiated.

Please be assured that we will look into your concerns and take appropriate action if necessary.

Thank you for your interest in the welfare of these animals.

Sincerely,

USDA, APHIS, Animal Care

Please do not respond to this email as we can not provide additional information.
Any further inquires should be addressed to:

USDA, APHIS, Freedom of Information
4700 River Road Unit 50
Riverdale, MD 20737-4328
Telephone: (301) 734-8296
Fax: (301) 734-5941

"evelyn lowery" <elowery>
05/15/2007 02:37 PM
Please respond to elowery

To: <acwest>
cc:
Subject: Pet Store Neglect and Abuse of Exotic Animals

This is a formal complaint and request for investigation of the following
business for cruelty, neglect, and sales of wild and exotic animals (Sugar
Gliders) without a license or permit.

Pet Fair
The Woodlands Mall
Ste. 700

The above business currently has 2 Sugar Gliders and 3 Southern Flying
Squirrels for sale these animals are housed in small cages appx. 18"x18"x18") grouped by species. These conditions are over-crowded and poorly ventilated. The animals did not have any room to exercise, they also did not have any mineral or calcium blocks. There was nothing in the cages for them to chew on keep their teeth trimmed, nor any rough surfaces for keeping claws
trimmed.

I observed that the animals were being fed improper diets, they did not have fresh water, and the staff stated to me that they were not giving them the necessary minerals and vitamin supplements these animals require for prevention of Metabolic Bone Disease. They stated that they were not given any instruction on proper care and diet of the animals.

I was unable to examine the Sugar Gliders, because the employee could not pick either of them up, they were aggressive and biting at her. She did manage to pick up one of the Southern Flying Squirrels for me, which was a full grown, and fully scrotal male. The Flying Squirrel was also aggressive and attempted to bite.

The Male Flying Squirrel has over-grown teeth, over-claws, and his coat was dull and coarse. While handling him, he had passed some feces, and instead of being soft, dark brown pellets, it was hard and pale colored.

I spoke to a woman who said she was the manager of the store, and asked her if she could give them the needed supplements and provide them with items for their teeth and claws... she stated that she didn't have any of that stuff in her store. I asked her if I could speak to the business owner, and she refused to provide me with the persons name. I asked her if she would provide me the names of the breeders she obtained these animals from and she refused that also.

I told her I was concerned about the age and health of the animals, and she informed me that all animals were examined by veterinarians before
displaying them for sale. She gave me a list of 3 veterinarians that they
use. I called each of the vets on the list, and they all stated that they
do not treat exotics or flying squirrels. They did not examine the ones at
Pet Fair.

I have contacted the Montgomery County Humane Society, Montgomery County Animal Control who stated that they have no authority to proper animal care in pet stores. I contacted Texas Parks and Wildlife, and their game warden stated that he knows nothing about Sugar Gliders, that he was not aware that Southern Flying Squirrels were indigenous to Texas, and unless it was a deer, fish or duck, he really didn't know what he would be able to do. I have also contacted Houston Humane Society, who has a law enforcement unit and will take cases outside of Houston. Unfortunately, they have not returned my call.

Please investigate this pet store, at this point there are 2 National
Organizations that are very upset about the conditions of these small
animals. The National Flying Squirrel Association, and Animal Craze. We are also notifying the International Sugar Glider Society for support.

Thank You,

Evelyn M. Lowery
11579 Wood Hollow Drive
Willis, Texas 77318
936-856-6357 hm
713-384-3982 cell

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 17, 2007 9:40 am

This was sent from The NFSA official e-address.

Subj: Regarding complaint against: Pet Fair, The Woodlands, Texas
Date: 5/17/2007 10:29:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: acwest@aphis.usda.gov
CC: Raider@houstonhumane.org

Dear Sirs:
Please advise me of the disposition on Evelyn Lowery's complaint against:
Pet Fair
The Woodlands Mall
Ste. 700

The National Flying Squirrel Association had educational information on the care of flying squirrels that we are happy to share with any individual or business that sells them. Here is our mission and membership statement:

The National Flying Squirrel Association's mission is to provide a pet support / informational organization for pet owners and rehabilitators by creating a safe network where individuals may come to research and share information on this species; to promote health, education, and general well being of Flying Squirrels. The NFSA does not have a membership level for commercial breeders/brokers and is a support /informational organization for PET OWNERS. The NFSA precludes membership of any commercial breeders/broker so that we are not seen as supporting one business over another. We do not endorse the capture (harvesting) of wild flyers pups/pregnant mothers for commercial/broker sales purposes. The NFSA & it's Board does not allow advertising from commercial breeders/brokers.

Thank you for your service that provides standards for the humane care and use of animals at USDA licensed or registered facilities.

Joan Barron
Co-Founder, NFSA
http://www.nfsa.us/

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Ok, emails sent. Please keep us updated on the situation!
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Thu May 17, 2007 5:54 pm

peep wrote:RECIEVED REPLY FROM USDA!!!

I gained the same response from the USDA, the mass email response from them.

Suggiemom
Juvie Pup

Postby Suggiemom » Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 pm

I received it as well, but they are a govt. organization and they must respond when they receive a complaint. They might not be able to do anything about it once they get there, but they HAVE to go out and look.
~ Laurie ~

Foothills Animal Rescue

Support Animal Rescue!!!!

www.cafepress.com/pipersstore

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Thu May 17, 2007 9:40 pm

Yep, especially with getting so many emails.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sun May 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Here's a question what happened with this? Peep? have you gone back or anything? I'm kinda still interested to see what the USDA has done..or not done yet.
Owned by

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:44 pm

I got my email reply from them today. It was the same as you guys. Hopefully, they will do something.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Mon May 21, 2007 5:49 pm

Still working on this, Helen. I sent the required request for disposition by snail mail, and made a few calls around Houston area. It's really frustrating, but I'm not giving up.

Seems that if you're not reporting a dog, cat, or horse, you just don't get much priority.

I'll update you soon, I promise.
peep

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon May 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Cools I totally realized that I hadn't checked this in along time. and I have just been getting the same old message that everyone else got in like all my e-mails and everyone else I've met.
Owned by

Return to “General”