Acorns

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Anne
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Acorns

Postby Anne » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Can anyone educate me about harvesting and storing acorns? I thought it would be simple, but I am finding that I know nothing about the process.
Thank you
Anne

Deb
NFSA Member

Re: Acorns

Postby Deb » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Flyers like acorns straight from the tree or under the tree at all stages of develpment, green or brown. As far as storing them for use all year, I know that some HOFs put them into zip-lock bags and put them in the freezer. I have limited freezer space so mine get them in season only. I do store nuts in the shell for them as they are very important for keeping the flyer's teeth kept from overgrowing.
If you give your flyer acorns from several types of oaks you will find that he will have favorite kinds. Some acorns, from oaks with darker wood like Red Oak, will cause the flyers urine to have a stronger odor. All acorns cause it, but some worse than others.
A lot of acorns have tiny worms in them, and they flyers LOVE them. It's like the prize in the Happy Meal to them :bday:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:49 pm

keep in mind the little worms leave the acorns after a period of time, and then you've got worm infested food! :twisted:
i had to throw out a ton of pecans and acorns because they got infested with worms and moths. :roll:
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:53 pm

voguemamselle619 wrote:keep in mind the little worms leave the acorns after a period of time, and then you've got worm infested food! :twisted:
i had to throw out a ton of pecans and acorns because they got infested with worms and moths. :roll:

Alyssa, you didn't throw those worms out did you?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:50 pm

... maybe :oops:
they were invading my room, because they were all turning into pantry moths. i didn't get rid of them until there were all those webby things in the bag... was i supposed to keep them? :?:
- alyssa -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:40 am

I rinse the acorns off, let them drain in a collander, put them in quart size plastic bags and freeze them. (the little worms get frozen too.) When I feed them to my squirrels, I feed them still frozen. The squirrels don't seem to mind at all! Must admit, tho, that we feed so many squirrels, both our own and the wild ones, that I ran across a great buy on a really huge chest freezer, so now have a 'dedicated squirrel freezer'. So now I have plenty of room for acorns, rose hips, pumpkin seeds, pecans.....just whatever I find that they'll like. After Halloween year before last, I found a place that had been selling Halloween pumpkins and had a lot left over. They gave them to us just for hauling them off. We cut them up, took out the seeds, washed them off a little, and toasted them. We got enough that we still have one bag left in the freezer.....and the squirrels love em.

Judy

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Yeah -- I do the same thing -- freeze the nuts & acorns, worms and all. I actually keep some fresh ones in a bucket on the back porch until it is really cold outside. The flyers and the rehab squirrels like to dig through the bucket for their own goodies! I haven't had a problem with pantry moths out there; the inside ones I do have probably came from the seed mix that I forgot in the back of the cupboard. Drat. #-o
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:24 pm

Sometimes I put acorns in a collander on a plate in the garage and harvest the worms that drop through. Boy am I popular when I serve them up.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:15 pm

yeah shylo probably would have liked those worms... well fortunately i have mealworms for her again, so she can peel away at them!
- alyssa -

Anne
Baby Flyer

Postby Anne » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm going to freeze as many of the acorns as I can, but how do I keep the rest fresh as long as possible? My mom and I probably gathered 15lbs yesterday afternoon. Some of the ones I gathered a few days earlier have already sprouted. There are oak trees everywhere here and the squirrels are loving them.
Anne

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:40 pm

You might could lightly roast them, and then put them in those zip-lock bags that you suck all the air out of. They MIGHT keep that way - I've never tried it, so I don't really know. Your best bet might be to buy another freezer - after all, pecans and hickory nuts and hazel nuts and cranberries are fixing to come on the market, and you'll want to freeze a bunch of those, too!

Judy

Anne
Baby Flyer

Postby Anne » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:09 pm

It seems that getting another freezer makes the most sense. I am going to check out a used one tonight. I am not sure what it is about the squirrels, but they seem to have an effect that makes doing all of this stuff seem perfectly ordinary.

Anne

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Anne wrote:It seems that getting another freezer makes the most sense. I am going to check out a used one tonight. I am not sure what it is about the squirrels, but they seem to have an effect that makes doing all of this stuff seem perfectly ordinary.

Anne

Yes, it does Anne, but don't tell non-HOFs. :twisted:

Return to “General”